Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Which show did you like more?
Babylon 5 47 69.12%
Stargate SG-1 21 30.88%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 12 2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

POLL: Babylon 5 or Stargate SG-1?

Which show did you like more?

I'm thinking of watching one of these shows for the first time, and will probably be on it for a while. How are these two shows similar/different?

I heard Babylon 5 is like DS9, they are both on a space station. Stargate is more like TOS/TNG but with more humor, right?

Last edited by Dream; July 12 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 09:00 AM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: POLL: Babylon 5 or Stargate SG-1?

I say watch both but that's just me.

B5 and DSN do share some similartites in that they are set on a space station and feature a war. But you can enjoy both. B5 does have an even more serialised element to it than DSN, if you do watch B5 bear in mind S1 is more about setting up the universe and doesn't show B5 at it's best and there area fair few weak episode in there. But once it gets into S2 andesp. S3-4 it is very good.

SG-1 does have a certain amount of humour in it, and it is semi-serialised like B5 and DSN. And once again S1 is weak in the begining but definatly ramps up a notch towards the end of the season.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Re: POLL: Babylon 5 of Stargate SG-1?

If we go by comparisons, Babylon 5 is like a cross between a slightly grittier DS9 and a slightly more light-hearted Battlestar Galactica (Ronald D. Moore version).

It aims to be epic, dramatic, political, somewhat realistic and sometimes - but not always - dark (a frequent criticism of B5 is that its humour is - except for the Londo/G'Kar stuff? - often pretty cheesy, so it's a show which is great when it goes dark, but sucks when it tries to be funny ).

Stargate SG-1 is maybe closest to Star Trek: TOS... only set in the 90s, and with a long-range "transporter" (the Stargate) instead of a starship? SG-1 is mostly a action-adventure show which doesn't take itself too serious with some tonge-in cheek humour. But it doesn't fail when it does drama too.

Personally, I prefer B5... but that's just a matter of taste.

Last edited by Ensign_Redshirt; July 12 2013 at 01:49 PM.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 09:13 AM   #4
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Given that I own everything that was ever put out on DVD for Babylon 5 and watch it all repeatedly, and I have only ever seen a handful of SG1 episodes and didn't particularly care to go back for more, I voted B5.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Jan
Commodore

I enjoy SG1 but for me it's mostly watch-once TV. B5, on the other hand, I've watched many times and always enjoy it.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral

B5 is the greatest show of all time! Though I'll admit the first and last seasons are seriously flawed.

SG1 is in my top ten, but first couple seasons are terrible and the last couple of seasons are pretty bad. So really it's just for S3-6 that I absolutely love it.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 12:41 PM   #7
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I put Babylon 5 up there with The Wire, The Sopranos and Deadwood as among the best American dramas ever made.

Stargate SG-1 is enjoyable fluff but there's really no competition.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 01:51 PM   #8
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

I'm surprised by the unanimous vote for B5 so far.

Not that I disagree. I own B5 on DVD, while haven't considered buying SG-1 so far. It's just that SG-1 currently has a 8.3 and B5 a 7.9 on IMDb. Where are the Stargate fans?
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 02:17 PM   #9
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I love and own both of these. There very different. You shouldn't miss either of them. I voted for Bab5 because besides being my personal favorite there are only five seasons. SG has 10. So if you're not sure about either watch the shorter one!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Dream
Admiral

I was thinking about watching B5 last year, but never found the time. After cleaning up my room a bit, I discovered all five unopened B5 season dvd sets still in the Amazon shipping box. I thought I had lost them!

B5 should be the next show I tackle. I just finished watching Legend of Korra.

I was lucky enough to order the Stargate:SG-1 complete set while it was a Deal of the Day on Amazon at $59.53 a few days back, it is going to take weeks to ship due to demand. I wonder if I will ever get it or not.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 02:34 PM   #11
SG-17
Commodore

Stargate SG-1 is definitely worth watching over and over again in my opinion. Great characters, great writing, great stories I'd choose it over any other show any day of the week.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 02:54 PM   #12
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I think it's a mediocre, standard 90s genre show, whereas Babylon 5 pushed the format of television storytelling as far as it had ever gone before.
Old July 12 2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I'm watching SG-1 now for the first time, see the Stargate forum, and am enjoying it immensely.

Babylon 5 is on my list as well, I've not seen it so I'm not voting. I'm already committed to watching it though. Got all 5 seasons via wb.com having a great sale last year, got some season sets for as low as $7!! I'll be watching B5 sometime in the next 6-9 months.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 04:37 PM   #14
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

I cannot vote for one or the other as i love them both equally.

I abstain.
Old July 12 2013, 04:44 PM   #15
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Anybody starting Babylon 5 must remember to watch the pilot movie The Gathering before starting Season 1.

Always preferred Jeffrey Sinclair to John Sheridan. Great character and a very troubled man. Wish I'd gotten to meet O'Hare at a convention to tell him how much I loved his performance. His narration of the opening titles was much better than Boxleitner's effort the following year.