Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 25 2013, 09:53 PM   #76
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Revisiting TAS...

This though is assuming trying to make them look like the TAS versions. We already know ENT didn't feel tightly confined by that.
Old August 25 2013, 11:39 PM   #77
Christopher
Writer

ENT had a lot of CGI creatures. And Michael Westmore rarely did aliens with fur, for some reason. If they had done Kzinti, it seems likely they would've gone CGI. Although that would mean their appearances would've been fairly brief.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 12:09 AM   #78
Warped9
Admiral

I've started reading the ADF adaptation. Presently I've reached the point where the episode starts off: the shuttlecraft is enroute and Uhura notices the stasis box is glowing---but there is a lot of padding to get to that point.

"Slaver Weapon" is one of the stories ADF expanded to fill one modest sized book. He starts it off with a flashback to Uhura's youth where she undergoes a maturity ritual in Africa. Here at the age of sixteen she's required to kill a lion armed with only a spear. The concession, of course, is that it isn't a real lion but a mechanical replica that acts like a real lion attacking...but stops short of actually killing you and ripping you to shreds if you fail to "kill" it first.

The story next jumps to setting up why the stasis box is being transported by shuttlecraft rather than by the Enterprise. Essentially the Enterprise is faced with two vitally important tasks and can't be in both places at the same time so hence the shuttlecraft. I understand why ADF expanded the beginning of the story this way, but (to me) it really feels padded where nothing of real interest happens and the gist of it could have been conveyed in a paragraph before launching into the meat of the real story.

One small thing I really notice here. Previously I've mentioned that ADF sometimes added extra dialog to flesh out scenes. This is an admirable practice, but often enough the dialogue he adds really doesn't sound like the characters we're familiar with. This is particularly true of his dialogue for Spock. Sometimes the speech is too formal and other times it's too informal or too colloquial. Too often he doesn't write Spock the way he would actually speak. Of course we can attribute that partly to ADF not having his work proofread by D.C. Fontana or any of the other TOS writers.

Last edited by Warped9; August 26 2013 at 04:12 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 04:05 PM   #79
jpv2000
Captain

Great topic. I love TAS. Reading these makes me want to rewatch my DVDs.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 04:18 PM   #80
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I've started reading the ADF adaptation.
You should also read Niven's original version of the story for a complete comparison.
Old August 26 2013, 04:27 PM   #81
Warped9
Admiral

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I've started reading the ADF adaptation.
You should also read Niven's original version of the story for a complete comparison.
I have read it about fifteen or so years ago. From what I recall it was okay, but I enjoyed the TAS version better probably because of the familiar characters.
Old August 26 2013, 05:22 PM   #82
Christopher
Writer

^Except there's very little difference in how the characters are portrayed. Spock, Sulu, and Uhura deliver largely the same dialogue as Nessus, Jason, and Anne Marie and perform the same actions. The main difference is that the human characters aren't married in the TAS version. There are some plot details trimmed from the adaptation, mainly that the weapon was built by the Tnuctipun resistance rather than the Thrintun/Slavers themselves, but for the most part it's a remarkably faithful adaptation.

What's interesting to me about Foster's novelization, though, is that he doesn't reference Niven's original at all. I would've thought he'd be familiar with his colleague's work and fold some of the elided detail back in, but instead he fleshed out the story in his own independent way.

Old August 26 2013, 05:43 PM   #83
Hambone
Fleet Captain

We watched "The Pirates of Orion" the other day and it struck me how easily this story could have been a TOS episode.

I like the Orions' uniforms and the fact that they had green skin. The discussions between the Orion captain and his first officer were reminiscent of "Balance of Terror". Not crazy about their ship design, though.

In addition to referencing the Babel Conference and Coridan from "Journey to Babel", it contains two of TOS' hallmarks; the ship in trouble and a ticking clock. The ending plays out much like many TOS episodes did. Amazingly, for a "Saturday morning" offering, this Orion crew also attempts suicide...the Orion Captain even tries to "pop a pill" on the Enterprise bridge.

Curious as to why the Orions are referred to as "O-ree-ons", rather than the familiar pronunciation.
Old August 26 2013, 06:21 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

Hambone wrote: View Post
We watched "The Pirates of Orion" the other day and it struck me how easily this story could have been a TOS episode.

I like the Orions' uniforms and the fact that they had green skin.
Err, except the Orions in TPoI had pale blue skin; it was their uniforms that were green.

Curious as to why the Orions are referred to as "O-ree-ons", rather than the familiar pronunciation.
I think I heard once that someone (Shatner?) thought it sounded too much like "O'Ryan." But I don't know for sure.

Old August 26 2013, 06:29 PM   #85
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Hambone wrote: View Post
I agree...

I like the Orions' uniforms and the fact that they had green skin.
... but I remember them as blue.

Not crazy about their ship design, though.
This is one of my favorites in all Trek.

Yeah, that's funny. William Shatner wasn't coached, I guess.

In centuries past, the vowel "i" historically sounded like our long "e", so I suppose someone not knowing how the word was pronounced might think it was "meant" to be pronounced that way. Perhaps in ancient times, it was?!?
Old August 27 2013, 03:56 AM   #86
Darkwing
Commodore

I always liked "The Jihad". It had some good world-building, an interesting quest, and got the protagonists away from the ship. But it also sparked an idea: if the Vedala have time travel to the extent that they casually erase memories and return their helpers to the moment they left, they don't really need helpers. OTOH, if they can make transporter clones, they can have (and keep) all the helpers they might ever need.
Kirk & Spock (and all the others) got recruited to help with this mission, and when they beamed over, they got "cloned" and sent back. After the adventure, the clones get returned to the transporter buffer with their memories erased. Now, whenever the Vedala need agents, they get woken up, thinking they just now arrived to help, and willingly go do whatever's needed, only to have a new memory wipe every time they return to the buffer.
Makes the Vedala less powerful, maintains the mystery a bit, and makes them a bit darker.

I loved ADF's adaptations, but I first saw them shortly after reading "The Tar Aym Krang", so I already liked his writing style.