TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old August 6 2013, 03:53 PM   #31
HoserTrek37
Ensign

Re: Plot for a new Star Trek Series

Mr. Bevan: I love the idea as either fanfic, e-novel or fan production. I'd love to assist. What is the name of this species?

Suggestions:

I could see the Species you're talking about as one of the rivals of the Q, that has been angrily seething as a result of being "locked out" of the Milky Way but spent Millenia feeding on the neural energy of other mortal & long-lived species everywhere else they could reach near the tiny weak spot in the barrier.

A small salvaged NX-Era design rebuilt after the Dominion War (Neptune-Class freighter/transport) loaded with civilians arrive at an Alpha Quadrant Alliance colony with regularly scheduled replacement parts and service-personnel on duty-rotation to find no hailing signal, no colonists and things get weirder from there. Its like the biblical rapture, no bodies, no clothing or signs of a struggle. Its like everyone just got up & left in the middle of everything.

Having spent her life patroling an area between Pius III, (the nearest heap of compiled Romulan, Klingon, Dominion, Cardassian, Federation wrecks) & the colony, The Captain, 37 year old Janine Cox, virtually just a kid with older family members that have been training her in being self-sufficient on routine milk-runs. Securing cargo, mediating disputes between crew-persons, flying, dog-fighting / raider self-defense, & bandaging expected injuries. But nothing's prepared her for what's coming.
HoserTrek37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 11:23 PM   #32
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

If you want experience like Picard, but strong, like Kirk, consider a non-human from a longer lived species. Perhaps a Vulcan who has adopted some human ways (sort of an anti-Spock, who is half human and rejects that, this fellow is a full blooded Vulcan who admires human pluck but has Vulcan strength... at age 100.)
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 11:25 PM   #33
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

Building on HoserTrek37, it could even be one of the God-like species Kirk dealt with but who we never saw again. What happened to them? The Q threw them out.
Old August 7 2013, 10:22 AM   #34
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

HoserTrek37, Thank you for your input. Not sure if I'd want to bring in the Q into this series. I realise that they are a source for a lot of material and im certainly not ruling it out but for now I believe that the Iconians would be far more interesting to use. It's quite an interesting story that wasn't really delved into much by any of the Star Trek series, once by TOS and once by DS9 but it's still quite vague.

I like the idea of them being one of the main species that dominated the milky way millenia ago but were suddenly wiped out by an even more powerful species. Not all the Iconians were wiped out and those who survived used their gateways to escape to a different galaxy. Fast forward to 2600 and a group of Iconians show up to warn the Federation of the threat of this powerful alien species returning to the Milky Way again. Or another thought would be that maybe the Iconians are evil after all and its the Iconians returning through their gateways from a distant galaxy to attack the Federation. No one does actually know if the Iconians are good or evil. Maybe even the Q were involved and it was a 3 way war between the Q, Iconians and the Purge. The Q may have been a humanoid species at some point but then found a way of ascending to another level and the Iconians were defeated. I like the story of the Iconians and their gateways and it opens up an endless list of possibilities.

Plus it could lead to flashbacks and stories set millenia ago before the human race existed which showed this massive war for control of the galaxy.

In my story I would like the captain to be a male who is mid thirties, I was thinking human but im not against the idea of him being some kind of alien either.

I like the idea of the new ship having organic components too. I think it could be a fascinating ship which would look very different to any other star ship we've seen before, I'm not too bothered about a ship that just has more powerful weapons, better shields, faster warp, I want some cool original new features for the ship which hasn't been done before.

With it being a generation class ship, it would contain many civilians and families on board as well as starfleet personnel, federation ambassadors, etc. I suppose the only problem with this is that if it was made into a fan series or tv show then the costs would be higher with all the actors, you would need a lot of recurring and guest stars in the show.

HoserTrek37, I like the idea of them finding the colony with everyone and everything mission and trying to piece the clues together, it could be the first sign that this alien species is returning to our galaxy. I like biblical connotations being used in the story, but would have to be careful not to make it like DS9. End of time? The rapture, etc.

After putting together clues they are led to some kind of ship or spacestation which is unknown in space which is creating a singularity through which this alien species can return through. The Captain orders to destroy it to stop the singularity but this ship has impenetrable shields...
dan_bevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 03:25 PM   #35
surak-toc
Commander

i would like for some of your crew if decide this to have some hard light holograms maybe
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 03:41 PM   #36
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

Don't see why not. It's going to be a very big varied crew, so it would make sense to have certain crewmembers that are holographic. Another thought I have is to have educational institutions on board the ship, kids can learn then if they want to join starfleet they would even have a mini starfleet academy on board where they can go, graduate and then go straight into being crewmembers on the ship.
Old August 7 2013, 05:57 PM   #37
surak-toc
Commander

that is a amazing idea, something like the classrooms on DS9, i think a whole deck would suffice for the ships very own Starfleet academy, a few holo decks for training missions and such, i think a unique feature would be a armoury class, researching weapons from Starfleet history and other species and producing their own custom creation, plus a little starship design and stuff like that, included in that you can have holograms for teachers.

Last edited by surak-toc; August 7 2013 at 06:15 PM.
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 07:45 PM   #38
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

The Iconians are a central feature to England's Star Trek Unity and The Further Adventures of Star Trek Unity. That fan production has two of them as Starfleet captains, one of whom is a Dr. Who "Doctor."
Old August 7 2013, 11:52 PM   #39
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

Oh ok...
Old August 9 2013, 11:35 PM   #40
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

I think when presenting ideas on this site you have to have your shields up to maximum . I have experienced a lot of negativity and rudeness from pompous patronising and downright rude people. But sometimes if you stand back and look at it there's often valid points being made . There's also people with good insight and ideas to help you. I find it easier to just ignore the negativity.

Having read your idea there's a few things I like, but some things that other have mentioned are a bit cliche and out of place. Here's a couple of my thoughts. What is the main reason humanity has stopped exploring? Is it that they have charted the milky way galaxy? Something internal like a natural disaster has forced them to return home? Maybe theres no where left toexplore without entering enemy terroitory. I just can't buy the concept that we would give up exploration without good reason. Its the driving force of Star Trek after all.

When this new ship and crew begin the mission it should have some impact on the federation and also its nearby enemies. To make it just a ship of the week show isnt enough. How will it affect the alpha quadrant.

Good luck.
Old August 10 2013, 10:38 AM   #41
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Whenever people talk about "exploring the entire galaxy" I have to laugh. Let's put it this way:

If you could make enough starships so that one arrives at one new star every 60 seconds that would mean 525,960 stars could be visited per year. Even at that incredible rate to visit all 400 billion stars in the Milky Way would take three quarters of a million years (760,514) to accomplish.

No one's going to explore everything in our Galaxy any time...ever.

Last edited by MauriceNavidad; August 11 2013 at 12:56 AM.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 11:27 AM   #42
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

Well obviously they wouldn't be able to explore the entire galaxy but what I mean is for people to have access to most of the galaxy. Presumably by the 29th century they would have access to slipstream drive or transwarp speeds so they would have access to all the quadrants of the milky way at their finger tips however it would be impossible to stop off at every planet along the way. More likely that they would be assigned a pocket of space.

How long did it take you to do them calculations? seems like a bit of an inefficient use of your time. Or maybe that's your hobbies, fair enough then
Old August 12 2013, 05:46 PM   #43
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

According to TNG, 19-21% of the Milky Way has been explored already, after only 200 years in space, that's 10% per century, with the rate of exploration increasing as technology progresses.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 06:23 PM   #44
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

dan_bevan wrote: View Post
How long did it take you to do them calculations? seems like a bit of an inefficient use of your time. Or maybe that's your hobbies, fair enough then
"Get a life," is what you're saying. That's fairly rude and dismissive. Shame on you.

And FYI it took 10 seconds to figure out. 365.25*24*60 = minutes per year, and 400 billion divided by that result.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 09:53 PM   #45
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

Wasn't trying to offend you but I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't suggesting that they'd be able to explore the entire galaxy. I applaud your maths skills but may not have been necessary.