RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,610
Posts: 5,425,791
Members: 24,807
Currently online: 553
Newest member: Dixonn

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 27 2013, 02:37 PM   #16
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Best way to watch all of Star Trek?

I have to agree with the basic point two posts above on "The Cage"...the bulk of the story is covered in "The Menagerie", and it doesn't make a lot of sense to watch the two in close proximity. Watching "The Cage" is like watching an extended director's cut with deleted scenes.

I'm also in favor of viewing each series separately. In the DVD age, watching a series can gain a certain momentum, and you might not appreciate one if you're always wanting to get back to the other.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 06:08 PM   #17
benmrii
Ensign
 
Location: North Carolina
Re: Best way to watch all of Star Trek?

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
This is pretty much the order I watch Star Trek in, it uses internal chronology rather than airdates:

http://thestartrekchronologyproject....r-trek_19.html.
That is an incredible list and I can imagine its merit. (It also humbles me as I realize how much there is for me to see!) However, as someone who is now a little more than halfway through TOS having never seen it or a single episode of DS9, VOY, or ENT, I think that probably is better suited for someone who knows more about Star Trek than I do. As R. Star stated earlier: “While Enterprise takes place before TOS, it contains numerous references and easter eggs to what comes after it in the timeline that to get the full experience you really should watch it after.” Since I would be almost certainly oblivious to much of those, I think my first experience of Enterprise should probably come after so much that came before in production. More familiar with the series, or perhaps a second watch-through, I think a fully chronological time-line order would be fantastic.

Lots of people wrote:
The Cage is awesome…
I’m genuinely happy to hear a resounding call for me to watch The Cage and will. If this pursuit alone doesn’t make it clear, I am indeed a “completist” in the best/worst sense. I’ll plan on fitting it in between TOS and TAS.

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I'm also in favor of viewing each series separately. In the DVD age, watching a series can gain a certain momentum, and you might not appreciate one if you're always wanting to get back to the other.
At this point I agree and my plan is not to intertwine episodes, though probably seasons. Several of the suggestions point to that and I don’t think it will be disruptive to the degree that individual episodes might while allowing for some interplay.

And now it's time to watch The Immunity Syndrome.
benmrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 08:38 PM   #18
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander
 
GameOn's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Best way to watch all of Star Trek?

benmrii wrote: View Post
At this point I agree and my plan is not to intertwine episodes, though probably seasons. Several of the suggestions point to that and I don’t think it will be disruptive to the degree that individual episodes might while allowing for some interplay.
It's a good idea in theory but I can't imagine watching some of DS9's season finales and then stopping to go and watch 26 episodes of Voyager.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 10:25 PM   #19
IzzyAtWarp9
Commander
 
IzzyAtWarp9's Avatar
 
Location: 221C Baker Street
Re: Best way to watch all of Star Trek?

WITH YOUR EYYYYYYYYYYES
__________________
Boldly going... nowhere in particular
'The truth is usually just an excuse for lack of imagination' Garak
IzzyAtWarp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 10:25 PM   #20
IzzyAtWarp9
Commander
 
IzzyAtWarp9's Avatar
 
Location: 221C Baker Street
Re: Best way to watch all of Star Trek?

Haha I'm soooo funny
__________________
Boldly going... nowhere in particular
'The truth is usually just an excuse for lack of imagination' Garak
IzzyAtWarp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 10:41 PM   #21
Data's Cat
Lieutenant
 
Data's Cat's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Re: Best way to watch all of Star Trek?

benmrii wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
This is pretty much the order I watch Star Trek in, it uses internal chronology rather than airdates:

http://thestartrekchronologyproject....r-trek_19.html.
That is an incredible list and I can imagine its merit. (It also humbles me as I realize how much there is for me to see!) However, as someone who is now a little more than halfway through TOS having never seen it or a single episode of DS9, VOY, or ENT, I think that probably is better suited for someone who knows more about Star Trek than I do. As R. Star stated earlier: “While Enterprise takes place before TOS, it contains numerous references and easter eggs to what comes after it in the timeline that to get the full experience you really should watch it after.” Since I would be almost certainly oblivious to much of those, I think my first experience of Enterprise should probably come after so much that came before in production. More familiar with the series, or perhaps a second watch-through, I think a fully chronological time-line order would be fantastic.
That will be great, once you start watching by airdate. You'll be moving from Voyager to Enterprise back into TOS (to start over), which means you'll be watching both by airdate AND internal chronology.

That's my own plan.
__________________
Just call me Spot.
Data's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 10:45 PM   #22
Data's Cat
Lieutenant
 
Data's Cat's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Re: Best way to watch all of Star Trek?

IzzyatWarp9 wrote: View Post
Haha I'm soooo funny
Sometimes I crack myself up, too.
__________________
Just call me Spot.
Data's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.