Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 26 2013, 10:30 AM   #16
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Noobie - Which Big Finish audio book should I start with?

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
No.

TV show first.

THEN audio.
Yes. Not necessarily *all* of the show, but the best of each Doctor and something of the major companions, certainly.
You can easily skip the Sixth Doctor on TV - his audios are *way* better. And obviously the eighth was only on screen for about 40 minutes anyway...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 03:16 PM   #17
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
You can easily skip the Sixth Doctor on TV - his audios are *way* better.
Strongly disagree. The character was severely watered down and lost his edge in the audios, with his signature arrogance being removed almost entirely. His audios often feel like they're aimed at people who didn't enjoy the Sixth Doctor's TV era, which has always bothered me. All the other Doctors have their personalities translated.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 03:56 PM   #18
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
No.

TV show first.

THEN audio.
Yes. Not necessarily *all* of the show, but the best of each Doctor and something of the major companions, certainly.
You can easily skip the Sixth Doctor on TV - his audios are *way* better. And obviously the eighth was only on screen for about 40 minutes anyway...
You're not counting Shada?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 04:00 PM   #19
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

My wife and I have listened to a ton of audio drams in the car-- she's a big New Who fan, but when we started listening to the eighth Doctor ones, she'd only seen a few, if any, classic series stories. The audios will hold up for a "modern" audience much more than the old show, I think.
Old July 26 2013, 08:35 PM   #20
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I'll add my voice to those who loved Paul McGann's Shada. As already mentioned before, McGann and Lalla Ward share a wonderful rapport (which we hear again in Neverland and Zagreus) and the supporting cast from John Leeson to James Fox as Professor Chronotis and Andrew Sachs as Skarga is wonderful. Not only easily one of my favorite Paul McGann audios, but one of my favorite Big Finish audios period.

As for recommendations, I'll break it down by Doctor:

First Doctor

1. Home Truths
2. Farewell, Great Macedon
3. The Rocket Men

Second Doctor

1. The Forbidden Time
2. The Memory Cheats
3. Echoes of Grey

Third Doctor

1. Old Soldiers
2. The Doll of Death
3. The Magician's Oath

(It should be noted that for the first three Doctors, the audios are companion chronicles, which features one or two companion actors with one or two additional voice actors)

Fourth Doctor

1. The Foe from the Future
2. The Justice of Jalxar
3. The Wrath of the Iceni

Fifth Doctor

1. Spare Parts
2. Rat Trap
3. The Emerald Tiger

Sixth Doctor

1. The Holy Teror
2. ...ish
3. Peri and the Piscon Paradox

Seventh Doctor

1. Live 34
2. Flip-Flop
3. Night Thoughts

Eighth Doctor

1. The Chimes of Midnight
2. Shada
3. The Silver Turk

(There are some better Eighth Doctor audios that I would normally recommend, including Scherzo, The Natural History of Fear, Neverland, and Solitaire, but they require knowledge of companions and storylines proceeding them to fully enjoy)

Additionally, I would also recommend Sympathy for the Devil (an alternate Third Doctor story featuring David Warner as The Doctor, Nicholas Courtney, and David Tennant), I, Davros (a four-part mini-series on the history of Davros as told in the style of I, Claudius), and The Mahogany Murderers (the backdoor pilot for the ongoing Jago and Litefoot adventures).

The best of the best of the above stories are Spare Parts, The Chimes of Midnight, The Holy Terror, Old Soldiers, and Shada.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila

Last edited by Emh; July 26 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 12:05 AM   #21
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Shada isn't an audio.

Shada isn't ONLY an audio.

Shada was released as a cartoon.

Barely animated, it looks like southpark, someone pushing around crate paper cut outs... But still a cartoon.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 06:40 AM   #22
FreddyE
Commander

Guys....thanks for all your suggestions. I bought and finished Jubilee, and I was really really blown away.

I really like how they manage to do everything without even having a narrator. Here in germany pretty much all audio plays have a narrator, which actually pulls you OUT of the narrative and your imagination.
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 10:28 AM   #23
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

FreddyE wrote: View Post
Guys....thanks for all your suggestions. I bought and finished Jubilee, and I was really really blown away.

I really like how they manage to do everything without even having a narrator. Here in germany pretty much all audio plays have a narrator, which actually pulls you OUT of the narrative and your imagination.
If you don't like narration, you might not like the Companion Chronicles. That being said, the narration for most of them is very good and you don't even notice the narration after a few minutes.

Old July 29 2013, 01:59 PM   #24
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Emh wrote: View Post
Third Doctor

1. Old Soldiers
2. The Doll of Death
3. The Magician's Oath

(It should be noted that for the first three Doctors, the audios are companion chronicles, which features one or two companion actors with one or two additional voice actors)
There is the BBC audios with Pertwee The Ghost of N-Space and The Paradise of Death which have Sarah Jane and the Brig in them.

I'm pretty fond of them.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 06:33 PM   #25
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Very true, although I deliberately left them off because they aren't Big Finish. I quite enjoy them both as well, especially The Paradise of Death, and see them as precursors to Big Finish (although they lack the sweeping soundscapes Big Finish excels in).