RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,375
Posts: 5,504,258
Members: 25,126
Currently online: 448
Newest member: Ted Dave

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 26 2013, 02:59 PM   #16
Solstice
Sexy Wizard
 
Solstice's Avatar
 
Location: I'm so lost T_T
View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Is broadcast television dead? Google announces Chromecast

sojourner wrote: View Post
If you read the details of this thing all it really is is a wifi connection that forwards an HDMI signal to your TV. They've just abstracted a software layer that Google can control to channel you through their portal. It lets them set a standard that other companies have to abide by if they want their content accessible from Google's device. They package it to make it easy for the consumer, but it's really just an example of Apple style content control.
Seriously. You can do the same thing with any laptop/desktop/phone/tablet with an HDMI-out port, and without needing a proprietary device!
__________________
Robert Maxwell
I has a blag.
I put on my robe and wizard hat...
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 08:24 PM   #17
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Is broadcast television dead? Google announces Chromecast

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Seriously. You can do the same thing with any laptop/desktop/phone/tablet with an HDMI-out port, and without needing a proprietary device!
A lot of people like plug-and-play stuff and Roku for example is easier to use for your average consumer. Roku unit ~$80 - $120 for higher model versus much less for Chromecast. This IMO is the same reason why Apple products are so popular with the masses - their ease of use.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 08:34 PM   #18
Solstice
Sexy Wizard
 
Solstice's Avatar
 
Location: I'm so lost T_T
View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Is broadcast television dead? Google announces Chromecast

Look, I'm just taking issue with the idea that this is something new and novel. It's not. The only thing Google's bringing to the table here is a lower price. I laud them for that. I might even buy one (or more.) But they're in no way a market leader in this product space.
__________________
Robert Maxwell
I has a blag.
I put on my robe and wizard hat...
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 08:39 PM   #19
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Is broadcast television dead? Google announces Chromecast

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Look, I'm just taking issue with the idea that this is something new and novel. It's not. The only thing Google's bringing to the table here is a lower price. I laud them for that. I might even buy one (or more.) But they're in no way a market leader in this product space.
Understood. On a related note, I wonder if the network TV stations could launch a more adult oriented brand and programming [e.g. Games of Thrones, Walking Dead et al.] under their brand name to loophole their way around FCC regulations and offer this programming on Roku/Apple TV/Chromecast with commercials?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 08:48 PM   #20
Solstice
Sexy Wizard
 
Solstice's Avatar
 
Location: I'm so lost T_T
View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Is broadcast television dead? Google announces Chromecast

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Look, I'm just taking issue with the idea that this is something new and novel. It's not. The only thing Google's bringing to the table here is a lower price. I laud them for that. I might even buy one (or more.) But they're in no way a market leader in this product space.
Understood. On a related note, I wonder if the network TV stations could launch a more adult oriented brand and programming [e.g. Games of Thrones, Walking Dead et al.] under their brand name to loophole their way around FCC regulations and offer this programming on Roku/Apple TV/Chromecast with commercials?
That's what cable is for. They can't do that on broadcast. The FCC doesn't even let one company have multiple broadcast networks.

They could air more "adult" stuff, using a proper content rating, but even then the FCC might decide to slap them with obscenity fines. It's just not worth it to try.
__________________
Robert Maxwell
I has a blag.
I put on my robe and wizard hat...
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 08:59 PM   #21
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Is broadcast television dead? Google announces Chromecast

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
If you read the details of this thing all it really is is a wifi connection that forwards an HDMI signal to your TV. They've just abstracted a software layer that Google can control to channel you through their portal. It lets them set a standard that other companies have to abide by if they want their content accessible from Google's device. They package it to make it easy for the consumer, but it's really just an example of Apple style content control.
Seriously. You can do the same thing with any laptop/desktop/phone/tablet with an HDMI-out port, and without needing a proprietary device!
A month ago I had the task of figuring out how to get an Android (4.1) screen onto a projector. The easy option was to do a microUSB-to-HDMI cable. That sort of worked, but the odd thing was the screen would sometimes flicker and disappear temporarily. Some research brought up speculation that the HDMI screen capture mechanism wasn't synced with the screen refresh.

That version of Android didn't support Miracast, and attempts to get the phone to share its screen wirelessly with the projector weren't working.

We were, however, able to get a Mac's screen to display without the flicker problems, so we tried to get the Android screen to show up on the Mac. I got a VNC server app working on the phone but none of the VNC clients I could find supported landscape-mode display for some reason, so that was out.

I eventually found a solution, droid@screen, which basically does screen capture over adb (android debug bridge). That worked with the downside that the projected display lagged by a couple of seconds (didn't happen with the direct HDMI connection) and occasionally the whole thing stopped working until adbd was restarted on the phones (sudo pkill adbd).

The point is, the task of showing one screen on another isn't as seemless as it ought to be on all devices, so anything that provides more alternatives for doing that is welcome.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.