Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old September 1 2013, 02:54 AM   #331
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Re: Kate Mulgrew - Orange is the New black

Here's another "old" Prepon interview... (pre-July 11th)

http://collider.com/laura-prepon-ora...ack-interview/

Loved the part about "not shaving" everyday.

The interviewers all make such a big deal about how "freeing" the 3 sizes fit all prison uniforms are, how the actresses don't have to obsess over every cookie they eat on set because of same... and yet they forget these same women are naked or just in a towel many times over the course of the series... so those "cookies" are going to have their revenge eventually.
Old September 1 2013, 05:14 AM   #332
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

CAN'T FIX CRAZY... continued

AKA

"Sometimes that shit comes back around" by Nicky Nicholls

Previously, in THIS episode... in her desperation to regain control of the kitchen, Red broke in late one night to do some sabotage.

To be honest... I don't think this small container of rice is going to spoil a meal for TWO HUNDRED, even if it has been highly salted by the highly insulted Russian.

And quite frankly, I had no idea what Red was doing here...she threw in a quart of cooking oil and then appeared to clean it up?/spread it around?

Oh well, we'll find out soon enough, because its now the MORNING after Red's sneak attack and yes, that SHIT is not only gonna come BACK AROUND... its going to fly DIRECTLY into the proverbial FAN!

But first... as the kitchen gears up to start cooking breakfast... Gina turns all the knobs on for the three industrial ovens, Norma is in the back unpacking, another Latina carries a box into the dinning room... let us pause for a dance interlude, starring The Three Amigas... Daya, Maritza, and Flaca.

As the girls work on their Pop, Pop, Shimmy, Turns in the middle of the kitchen, Maritza takes exception to Daya's performance.

HEY, did she just call Daya a dog??? Daya didn't look put out, so maybe not.

The one who DOES look put out by this morning's impromptu floor show is Officer John Bennett. (Girls, he probably hates the musical numbers in the Oscar telecasts too. so don't take it personal.)

Bennett: Ladies, this is not a recreational area... Get to work. NOW!
Flaca: Yo, lighten up, its the holidays.
Bennett: I said, back to work!
Maritza: Okay, but we were just rehearsing our number.

(I guess the girls are still hoping for a spot in the Pageant)

Bennett unloads some crap about their dancing was a safety issue... (Really, I didn't think they were THAT bad ) which caused the Latinas that speak Spanish to make catty remarks as they walk away about Daya's boyfriend needing to lighten up.

Unfortunately for them, Daya understands SOME Spanish and pulls a bonehead (Piper-esque) move and tells them in English, within Bennett's hearing, that he is NOT her boyfriend. (Bennett broke it off with her, over that "sex with Mendez" thing earlier in the episode.)

Bennett: What did you say, INMATE?

(The two Latinas are laughing in the background at the ex-lover's quarrel)

Daya: Nothing.
Bennett: That's right, you say nothing! You have nothing to say!

Daya looks like a puppy that has just been kicked by her "master", and isn't THAT the problem with CO/Inmate relationships in the FIRST place??? The power imbalance makes this so inappropriate that its made this WHOLE storyline one long KREACHER thing for me, and I doubt TPTB can ever redeem it in my eyes. I hope to God she ISN'T pregnant, and in that moment I think.. Daya was hoping for the same thing. Do you really want THIS man to raise your children? To speak to you in front of them, like he just did in front of the entire kitchen full of co-workers?

Catch a flipping CLUE, Daya!

That's when our little white kitchen waif, Gina Murphy. opened an oven door and what happened next wasn't pretty.

(example of an oil fire, with just 8 teaspoons of oil...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmjSUlKoMXE )

FLAMES shoot out the oven, quickly engulfing Gina. Norma, off to the side, sees all but is frozen in fear.

Maritza and Flaca both SCREAM but also both JUMP INTO ACTION. Flaca runs to the oven where, with her long legs, she kicks the oven door to close off the flames while Maritza grabs the fire extinguisher off the wall and rushes to the burning woman to hose her down.

Oh, and what does Big Brave Bennett do, the guy who raised his voice in the name of SAFETY when dancing broke out? All he did was grab Daya... WHO WAS NOT ANYWHERE NEAR THE DANGER, and hold on tight.

For only the second time this season, we actually see Luschek respond to an electrical problem HIMSELF, rather than send one of his inmate flunkies.

Luscheck has checked out the oven, and pronounces it electrically sound... just full of grease. His diagnosis... TAA DAA... is "grease fire."

Caputo is put out by Luschek, not sure why.

He asks his CO on the scene how Murphy was... but of course since the dick wasn't even LOOKING at the woman on FIRE, all he could do was mumble about the foam covering her. That was when Flaca made her assessment as Gloria looks at the floor.

Flaca: She was burned. All over her arm, and like her clavicle. I seen it before Maritza spritzed.

He's also put out by his new head cook Gloria Mendoza... and we ALL know why!

Caputo: Mendoza. Part of your job is to make sure these ovens are cleaned PROPERLY. Don't make me regret putting you in charge.
Gloria: I did clean those ovens.

(Silent Norma simply looks down)

Caputo: Well clearly not well enough.
Gloria: (Steely face) Yeah. Clearly.

And then Gloria turns and looks right at Silent Norma who's looking at no-one.

As Caputo sends them "back to work"... Norma heads for the walk-in cooler with Gloria on her tail.

We don't see them "talk" because TPTB thinks I want to hear the two lovebirds reassure each other in the kitchen. Thank god Caputo put an end to that scene by calling Bennett away to plan strategy.
Old September 1 2013, 01:17 PM   #333
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

An interesting piece on the dearth of complex women characters in TV, and naturally, the need OITNB fills re: same.

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/ind...ck_and_lo.html

Love the OitNB "love".

http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-c...#axzz2ddqsVMfM

Hmmm, I missed this on CNN...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxdEU3bTH0c

Here's another article on prison reform, using OitNB as its "Trojan horse" ((Shameless Jenji Kohan reference) into the subject.

http://zeek.forward.com/articles/117863/
Old September 1 2013, 01:55 PM   #334
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

The "nice" thing about people continuing to discover this show, it the youtube vidders coming on board nightly with new "offerings".

From the last 24 hours... another Piper/Alex love-fest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzpV95ccE3U

But this show IS more than P/A... and here's a tribute to that "more".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_6KAz2Nl9U

If I posted this already... GOOD. It should be posted frequently and watched often!

Old September 1 2013, 02:06 PM   #335
PopBoy
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PopBoy

Sooooooooooooooo many people keep on discovering this show - its brilliant. Then I say "you know Red" and they're like "we love Red! She's similar!" "Yeah, that's CAPTAIN JANEAWAY!".....and they're like "FUCK NO!!!!" A great show with so many fabulous strong women. Such a rarity on TV these days. Needs to come back sooner!
PopBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 01:47 AM   #336
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

PopBoy wrote: View Post
Sooooooooooooooo many people keep on discovering this show - its brilliant. Then I say "you know Red" and they're like "we love Red! She's similar!" "Yeah, that's CAPTAIN JANEAWAY!".....and they're like "FUCK NO!!!!" A great show with so many fabulous strong women. Such a rarity on TV these days. Needs to come back sooner!

I remember devouring the first 4 Harry Potter books over the course of 10 days... and then was SHOCKED to discover that #5 hadn't even been WRITTEN yet, and wasn't expected any time soon.

Waiting a year for OitNB feels kind of like that.

I think I'm going to arrange vacation for the time its released next year, so I can consume it even faster than the week it took me this July.

Until it arrives, we'll just have to make do.

Like watching faux promos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwUE6qTV2WA

Have you seen this one?

I am definitely going to miss the craziness of this relationship next year, and I hope that LP/AV will only be temporarily MIA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieXbFhsKm2Y

Maybe we need to send multiple vids with this song to Laura Prepon & Jenji Kohan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWN4w3I6om4

"Grasping at straws here."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWN4w3I6om4&hl=en&fs=1&">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWN4w3I6om4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
Old September 2 2013, 02:44 AM   #337
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

AKA

In case all the decorations, the rehearsals for the Pageant, and the "drawing names for Secret Santa" wasn't a clue... Christmas is "just" around the corner. We don't know how far around the corner because this ep was a little unclear on timeline... but that's okay. According to Piper, Big Boo is a little unclear on the timeline too.

It's daytime, Piper is lying on her bunk with her hand over her eyes, trying to catch some rest. Big Boo walks around the corner and grins at the sight.

Boo: Merry Christmas, Chapman.

Piper removes her hand and watches as Boo saunters into her cubical, like it was an everyday occurrence. I think this is the first time she's been there since she tried to browbeat Chapman into writing her appeal, way back when.

Piper: (Sits up slowly) It's not Christmas, yet.

Boo: Yeah, well, (she looks over her shoulder as she begins to pull up her shirt) it came early for you this year.

Before Piper could worry that she had another prison wife proposal in the offing, Boo pulls out a present, wrapped in white tissue paper, tied at each end with one green ribbon and one red ribbon.

Boo: There you go. (Piper is a statue) Go on.

Piper takes the present from Boo and we see a large green name tag hanging from it.

Boo: You big Ho, Ho, Ho.

And with that she turns and leaves Piper alone. The first thing Piper does is read the tag.

THOUGHT YOU COULD USE THIS.

LOVE,

YOUR SECRET SANTA.

Piper is clueless as to its contents, but the entire viewing audience is on the edge of our collective seat, asking TWO questions. Has "Chekov's gun" been returned... and if so did Boo clean it first?

As she rips off the paper, a familiar red handle appears and for a moment Piper seems mesmerized. But just for a moment, because she then looks up with a purpose as she hides the weapon under her shirt.

You see... sometimes the shit that comes around can have a silver lining!

Ugh.

Did I ever mix & mangle 2 worse metaphors before this? If so, DON'T remind me!
Old September 2 2013, 03:08 AM   #338
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

AKA

Cut from Piper's dorm in "the ghetto", to the white suburbs where Silent Norma is showing Red in no uncertain terms, what she thinks of her former friend. Norma is holding up a piece of notebook paper that is inscribed RED. A tearful Norma then rips it into several pieces in front of Red.

Red: I never meant to hurt anyone, Norma. Least of all Gina. (The tears are now falling from the Russian's blue eyes) She's my daughter! You know that!

What Norma knows is that Red has been cooking at Litchfield for 12 years and god only knows how long she working in the field before prison... RED, of ALL PEOPLE, knew how dangerous a grease fire could be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQgyZW8F_gQ

Our silent sobbing Norma, the minion who once worshipped the ground Red walked upon, who shaved those legs that walked said ground and dyed that hair red out of love... our silently sobbing woman threw the pieces of paper bearing Red's secret Santa name, into the Russian's tear stained face before running out of the cubical.

Red looks DEVASTATED!

Oh, and Red, honey...that shit is STILL coming for you!
Old September 2 2013, 03:13 AM   #339
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
An interesting piece on the dearth of complex women characters in TV, and naturally, the need OITNB fills re: same.

Interesting article except for one thing. They didn't mention another complex set of characters that burst on the screen this year, all the Clones portrayed by the stunning and fantastic Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black. Now there was a complex series with a female lead.
Old September 2 2013, 03:22 AM   #340
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post

Interesting article except for one thing. They didn't mention another complex set of characters that burst on the screen this year, all the Clones portrayed by the stunning and fantastic Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black. Now there was a complex series with a female lead.

I hope you pointed out the error of their ways in the comment section of their website.
Old September 2 2013, 04:37 AM   #341
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

AKA

As silently sobbing Norma storms out of the suburbs, she passes by Alex's cubical and nearly knocks Nicky over.

Alex is sitting on her bunk, working on some bead jewelry when Nicky enters with a 2x3 foot poster board covered in potential honeymoon destinations... including Bora, Bora, Bora! In the center of the poster board are the bride and "groom".

Nicky: Yo. Check it out. (chuckles)
Alex: Whoa! You put a lot of work into that. Who knew you were so fucking thoughtful. Jesus.
Nicky: (Is checking out her masterpiece) Yeah. I have my moments. Think she'll like it?
Alex: (Smiles) I don't know if she'll appreciate the groom.

(The "groom" in the black tux is obviously Nicky)

Alex: (President of the lonely hearts club makes an observation) What happened to that iron gate, keeping your heart shut?
Nicky: It's a JOKE!
Alex: (disbelieving) Is it?

Nicky doesn't answer... she doesn't have to, her face says it all. So she sits down on the bunk next to Alex, and changes the subject.

Nicky: What are you doing there?

Alex holds the beads on the metal (an opened paper clip?) up to Nicky's ear.

Alex: Making you a pair of earrings.
Nicky: (Tries to push the hand away) You ASSHOLE! That's supposed to be a surprise!

Alex laughs and holds the beaded "earring" up once more.

Alex: Surprise!

(As Nicky laughs, Alex looks chagrined at her efforts)

Alex: These Suck!

(she tosses the earring to the side of the bed. )

Alex: God, I'm just not crafty I don't know what to give you.

(Nicky has pulled the poster board up once more to examine it, as Alex reaches out to caress it.)

Nicky: Man, you're right. It should be a boy. Its not funny.

Alex shrugs and smiles, then does a head tilt as if to stretch her neck after a difficult afternoon of stringing 10 beads on a paper clip. Nicky, who had been "without" companionship ever since Morello shut her off a couple months ago, turns to Alex with a suggestion.

Nicky: I think I know what I want for Christmas.
Alex: (Looks away, bored already) Yeah?
Nicky: Yeah. (Her hand is now caressing Alex's thigh.)

Did you know there is actually an article out there, explaining why this next scene just WOULD NOT HAPPEN with 2 lesbians?

AHA! FOUND IT! Took 2 different google searches, but here it is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tanya-...b_3685579.html

To be fair to the scene... technically Nicky put the hand on the thigh and Alex placed it elsewhere...

But otherwise I would have to agree with the blogger. That scene wasn't half as sexy as any of the P-A scenes, even when P-A are fighting! (Especially when P-A are fighting? ) Not sexy, plus Nicky and Alex don't have any of the chemistry that Piper and Alex have.

IMO...

The old studio system would break it down this way, Taylor Schilling plays Vause's lover, while Natasha Lyonne plays Vause's best friend. (Sans "benefits")

Don 't believe me?

Here's the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnxVVm2Ppdg

Hmmm.

I don't think karma has settled with Alex yet... seems like she's got that "silver lining" thing going here, but for how long?

As for Nicky... she's definitely reaping the positive vibes for everything she's tried to do these last few weeks.

Can you believe we're almost done until next year?
Old September 2 2013, 05:34 AM   #342
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I hope you pointed out the error of their ways in the comment section of their website.
No I did not. Maybe I should, but I don't want to sign up for another site, and it wasn't really an error, but more of an omission that could have made the point stronger.
Old September 2 2013, 09:51 AM   #343
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I keep trying to get people to watch this, not always successful as no one has heard of it. I love soccer mom clone and wow, such great acting!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 12:44 PM   #344
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post

I keep trying to get people to watch this, not always successful as no one has heard of it. I love soccer mom clone and wow, such great acting!

I'd say I was one of those who have never "heard" of it, but then I'd technically be lying.

In one of the reviews I read this summer, the reviewer was begging for a you-tube vid that mashed up Orphan Black and Orange is the New Black, which I thought was pretty presumptuous of him.

But of course, if you try hard enough you can find one.

You two will have to tell me if it "makes sense".

It's more "trilogy" than "mashup"... with OUAT, OB & OitNB. I guess we should be thankful they didn't throw OZ into the mix, too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8B85Rs401c

Boy, watching that makes the whole Swann/Queen thing look very plausible. Neal could be "in trouble" and I'm not just talking about the gunshot.

Nah... it's network/Disney TV.

Old September 2 2013, 01:53 PM   #345
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

To be honest... I don't think this small container of rice is going to spoil a meal for TWO HUNDRED, even if it has been highly salted by the highly insulted Russian.
Oh I think there are other plans for it..

So Chakotay and 7 think they can marry. Not without a little ricin in the rice they won't..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote