Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 9 2014, 06:13 AM   #91
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek TWOK Blue Ray oddity

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Also noted: Before I bought a blue-ray player, I bought the Trek 2/4 gift set that was done simultaneous with the blue-ray release, but it was the DVD. It also had the new
Coto/Meyer commentary that the blue-ray had (and it was not the director's cut)

That version also had the blue tint. So the tint comes from that HD master, which they also used to create that release of the DVD
The Trek 2-4 gift set was created at the same time as the Blu-rays, they actually re-released all the movies on both DVD and Blu-Ray together and they were sourced from the same 'restored' prints. Obviously the DVDs are not HD, but the color timing etc would certainly have existed on both.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 06:50 AM   #92
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

That's the point I was trying to make.

The color timing was awful. If it was done for almost any other film, people would cry foul, but because this is the first 1080p master for TWOK than people are not treating is seriously as they should.
Old July 9 2014, 07:10 AM   #93
Harvey
Admiral

That's the point I was trying to make.

The color timing was awful. If it was done for almost any other film, people would cry foul, but because this is the first 1080p master for TWOK than people are not treating is seriously as they should.
Obviously we value different things in a high definition image. While the inconsistent color timing of Star Trek II is disappointing, in my book it is far better than the image of, say, Star Trek VI, which had so much DNR applied to it that the actors look like waxwork figurines.

In a perfect world, Paramount would restore each of the six films (going back to the original negatives), with the DPs and/or directors consulting on the transfer. But, this is Star Trek -- Paramount won't give it the Criterion treatment. Why put forth that kind of investment when people will buy the thing anyway?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 07:34 AM   #94
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

on my slightly older HDTV (which is only HD thanks to component cables) Voyage Home looks fine. In fact, it's fantastic.

But comparing one film to another as a means of excusing the problems with it doesn't fly.

The ships, sets, and people are not supposed to have a washed-out blue look. It's that simple.
Old July 9 2014, 08:56 AM   #95
Maurice
Vice Admiral

when they are orbiting Regula, they aren't in or near the Nebula yet. In fact, Meyer hasn't revealed at that point in the story that the nebula is nearby or that it's a plot point.

It just looks like they got really blue-happy. The films general feel was one of deep reds, and stark emotions.
Not quite sure if this is what you meant, but the nebula is visible the second time we see Regula One (image link) ad when the Enterprise first approaches Regula One (link).
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 08:58 AM   #96
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

true, that ^
Old July 9 2014, 01:18 PM   #97
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

on my slightly older HDTV (which is only HD thanks to component cables) Voyage Home looks fine. In fact, it's fantastic.
This doesn't make any sense. Either the TV is capable of showing an HD picture or it isn't? The component cables don't make it HD, they are just capable (along with HDMI) of carrying the HD signal to the TV.
Old July 9 2014, 01:56 PM   #98
trevanian
Rear Admiral

But comparing one film to another as a means of excusing the problems with it doesn't fly.

The ships, sets, and people are not supposed to have a washed-out blue look. It's that simple.
That's the way TMP looked on homevid for decades, even on laserdisc, and in almost every theater I screened it at.

TVH has never looked anything better than marginal to my eye (cinematography nom notwithstanding, since it was also nominated for score, showing no standards whatsoever), because it is almost a generic use of smoke (like ACTION JACKSON) rather than a skilled application of same (like BLADE RUNNER.) By comparison, TFF seems to look better with every new higher rez iteration, because it is actually climbing back up toward how terrific it looked in the theater (no sarcasm there, I'm talking live-action cinematography.)

Higher-rez and less DNR is the way to get to theatrical presentation. I'd really like to see folks who were in on the TWOK post weigh in on the color issue though. Does anybody have Bill George's contact info, he worked on it at ILM, maybe he remembers this red/blue thing? (I wouldn't consult Meyer, he seems to have forgotten so much that he is now remembering other people's wrongheaded accounts of his own past.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 05:17 PM   #99
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Looking at the images side by side...

While Regula's a bit too blue, overall the rest isn't bad. Let's take this as YMMV.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 06:11 PM   #100
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

So I went to my local theatrical showing. They showed me a fine looking theatrical version of the film. I was impressed. Regula looked correct, except during the scene where Kirk yelled "Khaan" and that area of the film, it seemed a bit more blue than what my DVD looks like. Apparently the people who ran the film revival at my theater downloaded a special digital copy of the film, and maybe it was comprised of a few different versions of the film: I noticed the first cut from Kirk early in the film to first shot of the Reliant exploring took an extra beat. I noticed bits like that throughout the film
Old July 18 2014, 05:49 PM   #101
Grant
Fleet Captain

Watched the iTunes HD Director's Cut of TWOK.

Beautiful. Exact same print as the 2 disc DVD was made from right down to the little "sprocket jitter" when Spock says "Carol Marcus" at the beginning of the Gen tape.

With minor clean-up they could use it for the DC Blu-ray of the movie.
Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 07:17 PM   #102
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

what's a "sprocket jitter"?
Old July 18 2014, 08:02 PM   #103
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Grant wrote: View Post
Watched the iTunes HD Director's Cut of TWOK.

Beautiful. Exact same print as the 2 disc DVD was made from right down to the little "sprocket jitter" when Spock says "Carol Marcus" at the beginning of the Gen tape.

With minor clean-up they could use it for the DC Blu-ray of the movie.
I noticed that they replaced the covers of the other movies with the new ones from the 2009 box set. About a year ago, iTunes had the HD versions with the old movie poster covers ... I wonder if those were old HD transfers as well? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

what's a "sprocket jitter"?
I don't know how to describe it, but it's there on the Two Disc Directors Edition DVD as well as the One Disc Bare Bones Theatrical Edition. Just look at the scene that Grant described, and you'll now.
Old July 18 2014, 10:43 PM   #104
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Looking at the images side by side...

While Regula's a bit too blue, overall the rest isn't bad. Let's take this as YMMV.
I don't know how you can look at the shots and not see that the blue washed into the ships too.

That said, when I saw theatrical showing, Regula had a different bluish tint during the scene where Kirk said "Khaaan."
Old July 18 2014, 11:38 PM   #105
Maurice
Vice Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
...Does anybody have Bill George's contact info, he worked on it at ILM, maybe he remembers this red/blue thing?
He's a friend of mine. I'll try to remember to ask him next time I see him. I'll be at the VES (Visual Effects Society) BBQ tomorrow. Maybe he'll be there.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote