Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 8 2014, 05:03 PM   #76
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek TWOK Blue Ray oddity

Honestly, the bottom one just looks better. The top one is lit in such a way that the actors look like they're on a movie set and the uniforms look over saturated.

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
another example:

blue ray
Old July 8 2014, 06:10 PM   #77
Ithekro
Captain

Say what you will, but Kirstie Alley's hair looks really good compared to Robin Curtis.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 07:05 PM   #78
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

TheDVD is the way I've always watched it, so it's not so over the top.

Having blue appear where was none for twenty five years is insulting.. appearing on the set, and splotched all over the ships. It's a crime.

The DVD doesn't look like it has that stark contrast while it's in motion.

Color timing is more important than filling 1000 pixels with useless information
Old July 8 2014, 07:47 PM   #79
BillJ
Admiral

Having blue appear where was none for twenty five years is insulting.. appearing on the set, and splotched all over the ships. It's a crime.
Over the top much? If it's a crime then watch the DVD. Problem solved.
Old July 8 2014, 08:02 PM   #80
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

...is more important than filling 1000 pixels with useless information
Eh? Significantly increased resolution leading to a sharper more detailed image is useless?
Old July 8 2014, 08:15 PM   #81
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I love high definition as much as anyone, but I do think it's overrated. Hunt for Red October is an older film, and I almost think it benefits from having that 80's look, where there's lots of shadows and cramped sets.

What I'm saying is that high def is fine, but people are obsessed with it to the point that they are willing to forgive a transfer with awful color timing for it.

It's also being done to the wrong films. As much as I liked the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, that film was also dark and benefited from the limitations of the time it was made. But all four of those films are on blue-ray but we can't even get proper blue ray releases of visual masterpieces like The Abyss, True Lies and Strange Days? Really? And the main reason I want those films on blue ray isn't so much for pixel density as just to see a proper anamorphic version.

And I still say that the top is how I remember the movie!

This film is the textbook example of how much this high definition obsession has blinded people to other things. "Oh they screw up the colors, but I don't care because now it's high definition. I got a new remaster of a remaster of a film that has never had a proper 1080 p Gigawatt 55500 frame by frame reconstruction before. colors suck but I'm happy I get to stroke it to technology!!"
My question is, which version is my theater going to play?
Old July 8 2014, 08:24 PM   #82
BillJ
Admiral

This film is the textbook example of how much this high definition obsession has blinded people to other things. "Oh they screw up the colors, but I don't care because now it's high definition. I got a new remaster of a remaster of a film that has never had a proper 1080 p Gigawatt 55500 frame by frame reconstruction before. colors suck but I'm happy I get to stroke it to technology!!"
But I actually like the blue! It's a change, but its a change that I like. It actually looks more natural.
Old July 8 2014, 08:26 PM   #83
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Well, first it was a joke that people said it was the blue from the nebula. The shots above proved that. They are nowhere near the nebula

Like the change or not, it still was never like that. It's a poor version of the film. That's not the film I want to watch in theater
Old July 8 2014, 08:29 PM   #84
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

BillJ wrote: View Post
Honestly, the bottom one just looks better. The top one is lit in such a way that the actors look like they're on a movie set and the uniforms look over saturated.

another example:

blue ray
Christ on a bicycle, even the shoulder straps and the wristbands have a blue hue. Ooof.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 08:30 PM   #85
BillJ
Admiral

Well, first it was a joke that people said it was the blue from the nebula. The shots above proved that. They are nowhere near the nebula
They're still in outer space and unless someone is shining a red flashlight on the ships, it still wouldn't be how it would actually look.

It's a poor version of the film.
Actually, you've proven to me the exact opposite.

That's not the film I want to watch in theater
Then don't buy a ticket.
Old July 8 2014, 08:34 PM   #86
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

They're still in outer space and unless someone is shining a red flashlight on the ships, it still wouldn't be how it would actually look.
Facetious argument. I never indicated I wanted how it would actually look in terms of real science. I'm talking about how it looked when it was originally released.

Also the bridge chairs were never blue before.

Here's the thing.

I'll meet you guys halfway on the BR release when it comes to contrast. When watching the DVD the stark contrast is not as obvious as it seems in the stills, but it's there, and maybe a remastering of TWOK toning it down was good. I can see your point.

But here's the thing... it's not how the film looked. If WB released the Dark Knight released the first blue ray where every shot had super-low contrast and a distinct red hue, I'd cry foul as well. Big time. Even if 80% of the people on this board said that the red hue added something to film, that was not how it was released originally.

Same here. The shots were never done with blue permeating through every bit of and gray and tan in the film. Regardless of whether you don't mind of not, nothing can change that.

Last edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster; July 8 2014 at 09:07 PM.
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 09:40 PM   #87
dub
Fleet Captain

another example:

blue ray
Just a question regarding how you captured or acquired the capture - why is the DVD version sharper than the BD version in this image?

Comparing the two images, the DVD image here is way better to my eyes. It has nice contrast and the colors look great. The BD image is dull by comparison and has an obvious blue tint. I can't judge the discs though because I only own the DVDs at this point.

I know this isn't a fair judge of white at all because who knows what the actual color of the strap is. There are so many different versions of the color white (plus lighting, colors bouncing, shadows, etc. are in play). But just out of curiosity, I took a color sample from Kirk's strap in both the DVD image and the BD image:

As far as the color/contrast on the BD goes, have you tried adjusting the settings on your TV when you watch these? There are some factory-created settings in most new TVs like "cimema" and "natural" for example that can change the color and contrast fairly dramatically with the click of a button (I'm sure you know that, I'm just explaining what I mean). I know that's annoying and we shouldn't have to do that, but does it help at all? I usually don't use those at all, but in this case if I owned the BD versions I might give those a try.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 09:55 PM   #88
Ithekro
Captain

Might be a case of over correction. But I like the blue in the space shots. probably because they shifted to blue more later on in films and TV. and the filter seems to knock some of the studio lighting effect out the actors faces. The slight blue tint almost makes their faces look natural for some reason.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 10:24 PM   #89
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Also noted: Before I bought a blue-ray player, I bought the Trek 2/4 gift set that was done simultaneous with the blue-ray release, but it was the DVD. It also had the new
Coto/Meyer commentary that the blue-ray had (and it was not the director's cut)

That version also had the blue tint. So the tint comes from that HD master, which they also used to create that release of the DVD
Old July 8 2014, 10:33 PM   #90
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Absolutely. That's why I prefer the iTunes version, which is an older transfer ... but it looks much better in terms of color timing and it's the DE!