RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,651
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 593
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 25 2013, 05:41 PM   #106
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: Cast the new Batman

^^^
If Bale comes back it'll be in the same continuity. It's a no-brainer.
Old July 25 2013, 06:14 PM   #107
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Granted, the new MoS Batman will be very, very, VERY similar to Bale's Batman because that's where the money is.
I hope not.
Warner Brothers is going to look at this strictly from the perspective of profits. That's their job. The Bale/Nolan/Batman raked in a shitload of cash worldwide, and WB isn't going to do anything to disrupt that. Bale is gone; he's stated that emphatically and I take him at his word. So what's WB to do? Continue the interpretation of Batman that has struck the loudest chord with moviegoers, Bale or no Bale. Granted, it will be a different Batman--one who exists alongside super-powered beings--and that may well prove to be a huge difference. Artistically, I hope it does.
Old July 25 2013, 06:20 PM   #108
Christopher
Writer

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
^^^
If Bale comes back it'll be in the same continuity. It's a no-brainer.
Probably, yes. But probability is not absolute certainty. Filmmakers are not always as obsessed with continuity and the borders between different realities as fans on the Internet are. As long as the actor is back, they really don't care what continuity the story is in, because all that matters to them is selling tickets.

If they did bring Bale back, then maybe they'd be ambiguous about it -- allow audiences to assume he was the same guy from the same previous films, but not hesitate to depict the universe in a contradictory way. Most audiences wouldn't notice the discrepancies anyway, and it'd just be us detail-oriented Internet nerds who'd have a meltdown over it.

In any case, I doubt they'll bring Bale back. Sony recast Spider-Man; they didn't feel they absolutely had to bring Tobey Maguire back. And I doubt WB will feel they have to bring Bale back. With a character like Batman, it's the character himself, not the actor, who's the real draw. That's why the Burton/Schumacher series was able to get away with recasting Batman twice. Given that Bale is reluctant to return, they'd have to offer him an insane amount of money to get him back, and I doubt they'd feel the need to do that, given how recastable Batman has proven to be in the past. We will most likely have a new Batman and a new continuity. I'm not going to say that's an absolute certainty, because that's never a wise thing to assume, but I'm confident that it's the most probable outcome.

Warner Brothers is going to look at this strictly from the perspective of profits. That's their job.
Yes, and that is why so many movies are bad: because the suits wrongly assume that the way to duplicate a success is to copy its specifics, when what they should really aspire to duplicate is the creativity, originality, and talent that went into it. I'm not saying that it's unlikely things will go the way you suggest; I'm saying that if they do, the result will probably be very disappointing.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 06:20 PM   #109
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

If Bale sticks to his guns and doesn't come back it may be the biggest payday an actor has ever turned down.
Old July 25 2013, 06:25 PM   #110
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

The Bale/Nolan/Batman raked in a shitload of cash worldwide, and WB isn't going to do anything to disrupt that.
But that money has already been made. How can future decisions disrupt that?

Christopher wrote:
That's why the Burton/Schumacher series was able to get away with recasting Batman twice.
I don't know if I would really call that "getting away with it"...
Old July 25 2013, 06:31 PM   #111
Christopher
Writer

If Bale sticks to his guns and doesn't come back it may be the biggest payday an actor has ever turned down.
And I, for one, will respect his professional integrity -- while simultaneously being delighted that I don't have to put up with that awful Bat-growl anymore.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 06:44 PM   #112
marksound
Fleet Captain

And I, for one, will respect his professional integrity -- while simultaneously being delighted that I don't have to put up with that awful Bat-growl anymore.
Hear, hear.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 07:04 PM   #113
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Bale is not looking at Superman/Batman as a one-shot gig, and neither should anyone else. This will be a multiple film contract. The new Batman is intended to be the Justice League Batman, as well as star in the next Batman film series. WB is taking the long view and Bale knows it.
Old July 25 2013, 07:09 PM   #114
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

I just saw another interesting suggestion online: Jensen Ackles has said he'd be up for the role. Now, I was never too impressed by what I saw of him on Smallville and Supernatural, but he did a superb job of voice acting as Red Hood in the animated movie Batman: Under the Red Hood.
I second for Jensen Ackles.
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 07:28 PM   #115
Skywalker
Admiral

Bale won't be back.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 07:30 PM   #116
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Bale is not looking at Superman/Batman as a one-shot gig, and neither should anyone else. This will be a multiple film contract. The new Batman is intended to be the Justice League Batman, as well as star in the next Batman film series. WB is taking the long view and Bale knows it.
They wouldn't sign him for just one film. If that's all he'd agree to they'd opt for a reboot Batman instead. But if he'd agree to a three-film deal to appear in Superman vs. Batman and two Justice League films I have no doubt that they'd leap to sign him up for that, even if it meant delaying further solo Batman films until later down the line. Bale will likely stick with saying no, though, so a reboot Batman it'll be.
Old July 25 2013, 09:36 PM   #117
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

It's been stated in no uncertain terms that Nolan's trilogy is finished and won't be connected to or continued by the MoS sequel - or future Batman solo projects - in any way.

In terms of suggestions for who to cast as the new Bruce Wayne/Batman, I'm going to suggest the same people here that I've been suggesting elsewhere:
Milo Ventimiglia
Gael Garcia Bernal
Selwyn Ward
Robbie Jones III

In terms of suggestions that I've seen here or elsewhere, I like Sam Witwer, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ryan Gosling, and JGL. I would've liked to have seen JGL reprise his role as John Blake and just have the MoS world connect to the Nolan Trilogy, but that's not going to happen, so JGL playing Bruce Wayne would be a nice alternative.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 09:50 PM   #118
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
It's been stated in no uncertain terms that Nolan's trilogy is finished and won't be connected to or continued by the MoS sequel - or future Batman solo projects - in any way.
And that'll probably turn out to be the case, but things are sometimes stated in no uncertain terms and then reversed.
Old July 25 2013, 09:56 PM   #119
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Emma Thomas just reiterated it as recently as Comic-Con when talking about MoS 2/Batman vs. Superman, and if it hasn't changed up to this point, I don't see why it would, especially since Goyer's apparently been working on the screenplay for the movie since February.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 10:06 PM   #120
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The window when it might change is going to close fast. As I said, I don't think it will change. But I think it would change if the studio could wangle it.