RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 473
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 24 2013, 07:56 PM   #61
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Cast the new Batman

N-121973 wrote: View Post
Just think of the meltdown on the web the day the first official photo of Bale and Cavill together in costume comes out?
It'll go into meltdown regardless of who is wearing the cowl and cape. If anything, it may be increased by the thrill of seeing a new actor's first appearance in the role into the bargain.
Old July 24 2013, 08:02 PM   #62
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Joe Manganiello was the runner-up to play Superman in Man of Steel. It was reportedly a close contest, with a lot of support for him at Warners to get the part. He could be in the running for the new Batman.
Old July 24 2013, 08:02 PM   #63
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I'm curious, though... what if Gordon-Levitt's character in the film had been named Terry McGinnis?

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
On the other hand, the hardcore fan in me knows that the Wayne money is old money. Bruce inherited Wayne Enterprises, yet his father was a doctor who couldn't really create a multi-billion dollar company, so even he must have had inherited. You could have Bruce be adopted, but then he'd be orphaned twice, which seems kinda silly.
The first African-American to own a billion-dollar company was Reginald Lewis, who acquired Beatrice International Foods in 1987 and was listed by Forbes as one of the 400 richest Americans in 1992, a year before he died. If we assume a Batman who was born in the early 1980s, making him a bit over 30 now, his parents certainly could've been worth hundreds of millions by the time of their murder c. 1990. They wouldn't have inherited, but he could have.

And who says Thomas couldn't have created a corporation? Maybe he started out as a doctor, but invented some medical advance that made him rich, or bought a pharmaceutical manufacturer or something.

Sure, traditionally the Waynes are portrayed as old money, but adaptations let you reinvent things.
Sure, that might work, but to do that would mean to re-tell the whole background, and who wants to sit through another Batman origin film?!

The only way I can think of to make Bruce black without heavily changing the character background would be to make his mother black, with Bruce being a mulatto.
That's a rather outdated term for it, but yes, there are quite a lot of biracial Americans today and quite a lot of biracial or multiracial performers in show business. One can't really discuss ethnicity in America today without acknowledging how much overlap there is. We've had a half-Japanese Superman, a half-Chinese Lana Lang, and as I mentioned, the man currently voicing Batman on TV is part-Asian; plus the multiethnic Keanu Reeves has played DC character John Constantine, however much people would like to forget that. Plus we've got a number of big action stars today who are of mixed or ambiguous ethnicity, such as Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson.

So it's certainly plausible that Bruce could be of mixed parentage. No reason why not.[/quote]

I hope nobody feels offended, I certainly didn't mean to using that word.

Anyway, having a black Batman in itself would propably mean certain changes to the background, the public would want to know more about the background, which, again, would propably mean another origin story.

Remember when Nick Fury was white? Seems weird these days.
I do, but most people propably don't. Batman, on the other hand ...

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 08:08 PM   #64
Gojira
Commodore

[QUOTE=Kai "the spy";8424325]
who wants to sit through another Batman origin film?!
[QUOTE]

That is my biggest issue! I hope they cover Batman's origins quickly in the next movie. Or, even if they use adifferent actor, tie it into the Nolan trilogy.
Old July 24 2013, 08:21 PM   #65
Christopher
Writer

Sure, that might work, but to do that would mean to re-tell the whole background, and who wants to sit through another Batman origin film?!
I don't think it needs special explanation -- that's my whole point. It is possible in real life for a thirtysomething black or biracial American to be the child of extremely wealthy parents; therefore, it is not something that needs special explanation in a movie. It can be taken as read. Seriously, it's the 21st century. Fictional characters no longer have to justify not being white.

Anyway, having a black Batman in itself would propably mean certain changes to the background, the public would want to know more about the background, which, again, would propably mean another origin story.
There are plenty of ways to reveal a character's background without an origin story. Tim Burton did it. Sam Raimi and Sam Hamm's M.A.N.T.I.S. TV pilot movie did it very cleverly, by keeping the superhero's identity secret from the audience for the first half and revealing the mystery over the course of the story.

Indeed, since they're doing a Superman/Batman crossover, they could easily do it that way: present Batman as the mysterious foe whom Superman investigates, and in the course of the story, Superman discovers who Batman is and why he does what he does. The audience gets the answers through Superman's eyes.

Anyway, I'm just saying let's open up the speculation, consider all the possibilities. This is a "wish" thread, so we should be broadening the nominations, not shooting them down.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 08:23 PM   #66
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Please no Batman origin again. Please. Everybody who'll see this film who doesn't know Batman's origin can feel free to call me at home and I'll give them the 30 second spiel.
Old July 24 2013, 08:27 PM   #67
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

Remember when Nick Fury was white? Seems weird these days.
Heck, Pete Ross has gone from white to black and back again!
Old July 24 2013, 08:40 PM   #68
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Joe Manganiello was the runner-up to play Superman in Man of Steel. It was reportedly a close contest, with a lot of support for him at Warners to get the part. He could be in the running for the new Batman.
I remember that. He has the body, the acting chops and the charisma for the role. But - and this is a really silly but - he has a very distinctively shaped nose. I can see some studio exec saying 'no, his nose looks silly in the Batmask!'
Old July 24 2013, 08:58 PM   #69
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The only way I can think of to make Bruce black without heavily changing the character background would be to make his mother black, with Bruce being a mulatto.
Yea, even though Bruce Wayne/Batman is traditionally white, I just can't see them hiring a Mugatto, the horn would just be too awkward to try and fit into the cowl

Oh, wait...nevermind

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 09:09 PM   #70
Garak
You Eat What You Kill

Bale or JGL. Or.....both.
Old July 24 2013, 09:11 PM   #71
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

junxon wrote: View Post
jason isaacs
YES
Old July 24 2013, 09:16 PM   #72
Avon
Fleet Captain

sidious618 wrote: View Post
junxon wrote: View Post
jason isaacs
YES
i've suggested jason isaacs for everything for ages and finally someone agrees

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 09:17 PM   #73
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 09:18 PM   #74
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
He'd be a good Aquaman.
Old July 24 2013, 09:21 PM   #75
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral