Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 24 2013, 02:29 PM   #31
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Cast the new Batman

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Good points.

Although I think Mr. Webster would probably prefer to be identified as "Continuum's Victor Webster." It's not only more current, but less embarrassing.
Must admit, I've never heard of Continuum, but I mentioned Mutant X because, IIRC, Webster was in that show when he auditioned for the role (I think this was circa the time that McG was to film the controversial JJ Abrams 'Flyby' script).

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
A few months ago I would've said that Armie Hammer had to be a frontrunner, but I imagine that the flop of The Lone Ranger has to have damaged his chances. I know Batman doesn't need a big name but they may feel that he might damage the brand. Having said that, Christian Bale had a string of flops and low-performers before BB, so they may take a gamble.
Of course, on the flip side of that coin, George Clooney was a successful, high profile actor when he was cast as Batman. And we all saw how that movie turned out.
Well, in fact, George was still a regular on ER rather than a big name movie actor when he landed the role. He didn't leave the show until 1999, though his part was reduced while he took on movie roles like The Peacemaker and Batman and Robin. Michael Keaton and Val Kilmer would have been better known actors with longer-standing movie careers under their belts at the time when they were cast.

Edit - I originally said he left ER in 2009, which was obviously a mistake
Old July 24 2013, 02:40 PM   #32
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
If they were going with an older, experienced Batman who has been around for a while, Jim Caviezel. But since they probably want someone younger who can do six or more movies and doesn't have a TV schedule that takes up eight months of his year, how about... Ryan Reynolds?

I heard he's got some injuries that restrict him from doing too much.

The beauty of Batman is his mask. It would mostly be a stunt man as it as it has been for the majority of the 5 or 6 films.

Bale I think wore the suit the most for action scenes out of all the previous actors.
Old July 24 2013, 02:46 PM   #33
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Do we really want to cast Caviezel and Cavill opposite each other? Nobody would be able to keep their names straight!

(Seriously, after Cavill was cast, I ran into more than one person on-line who had him confused with Caviezel. "They cast that Jesus guy as Superman?" Etc.)
Old July 24 2013, 02:53 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

Many would say that Jim Caviezel essentially is playing Batman on Person of Interest.

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
The beauty of Batman is his mask. It would mostly be a stunt man as it as it has been for the majority of the 5 or 6 films.
Uh, not in close-up or in dialogue scenes.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 03:04 PM   #35
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Do we really want to cast Caviezel and Cavill opposite each other? Nobody would be able to keep their names straight!

(Seriously, after Cavill was cast, I ran into more than one person on-line who had him confused with Caviezel. "They cast that Jesus guy as Superman?" Etc.)
I was thinking the same thing. A lot of people suggested that Caviezel play the future John Connor instead of Christian Bale, so I briefly considered him for Batman until the name thing. Well, and I don't know if I'd really buy him as Batman either.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 03:11 PM   #36
Gojira
Commodore

Matt Bomer was up for the role of Superman, many think he would make a great Batman and I agree.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old July 24 2013, 04:32 PM   #37
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote:
Unfortunately, he's only known as a TV actor
And videogames!

Many would say that Jim Caviezel essentially is playing Batman on Person of Interest.
And his costar played the Joker...
Old July 24 2013, 04:44 PM   #38
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Bomer's good, no question, but I rather like Ian Somerhalder. The piercing quality of his eyes would be striking in the shadows of Batman's mask. He's the right age (not quite buff enough but that's easily fixed) and already has a very large fan base. The vampire thing doesn't hurt either.
Old July 24 2013, 04:55 PM   #39
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I like the suggestion of Sam Witwer a lot!
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 04:58 PM   #40
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Bomer's good, no question, but I rather like Ian Somerhalder. The piercing quality of his eyes would be striking in the shadows of Batman's mask. He's the right age (not quite buff enough but that's easily fixed) and already has a very large fan base. The vampire thing doesn't hurt either.
His character in Smallville, Adam Knight, was based on Batman and derived his name from Adam West (1960s Batman) and the Dark Knight.
Old July 24 2013, 05:19 PM   #41
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Yeah Caviezel's basically batman on "Person Of interest". It's even got an Nolan on board.

Uh, not in close-up or in dialogue scenes.
Sorry I meant specificially action scenes.

Caviezel would be talk as batman, turn his head as batman but when an action starts

Stunt man

Caviezel's been rumored for Superman for ages
Bomer for Superman

Somerhalder was considered for batman before and after he starred in "Smallville" as a guy named Adam Knight.

If Synder is leaning towards long standing fan favorites then these 3 would be it.
Old July 24 2013, 05:24 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

Never liked Somerhalder. And Bomer was a good Superman in the animated Superman Unbound, and has the face for it (but not the height), but as Batman? I don't see that.

Here's a thought: Does Batman need to be white? The current Batman in animation, on Beware the Batman, is played by Anthony Ruivivar, an English- and Spanish-speaking Hawaiian native with partially Chinese and Filipino ancestry. And Superman has been played by the half-Japanese Dean Cain. Certainly mixed-race actors of unclear ethnicity could be cast, but there are billionaires in the country who are black or Asian or Latino, so there's no reason Bruce Wayne couldn't be one. (Back in the early '90s, I thought that Michael Dorn would make a very impressive Batman.) So maybe we should broaden the pool of potential candidates beyond people who match the traditional appearance of the character. Any thoughts?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 05:26 PM   #43
Gaith
Rear Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
...if your joke happened, at long last, Michael Keaton would meet his match as the worst live-action Batman of all time.

"I want you to remember, Clark, in all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
*fwoosh*
"... Which reminds of that one time my mentor, Ra's Al Ghul, got legitimately peeved at me when I filled all the practice dueling scabbards with leftover white, pink and red heart-shaped confetti on April Fool's Day, so when we all drew our sticks, it was like a spontaneous Festival of Love. 'Gertrude,' he said, 'if you ever do that again, the last thing you'll see will be my hand on my throat.' I'm pretty sure he was laughing inside, though.
[cheery yet mellow indie song starts]

"And speaking of hands, his dojo was a place where everyone always had a spare hand to lift a brother up, no matter how much vengeance was in his soul. When you're battling a lifetime's worth of inner demons, it's nice to know you don't have to battle each other, too."

... No joke: I would watch the hell out of a Cavill-Supes vs. Braff-Bats movie.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 05:28 PM   #44
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

They would have to cast Donald Faison as Superman if Braff was Bats.
Old July 24 2013, 05:33 PM   #45
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

How about one just follows up on Dark Knight Rises and go with Joseph Gordon Levitt?

He's a very good actor, he's established and they heavily hinted at him taking up the suit at the end of the movie and it would tie in Nolan's movies with the greater DC universe.

The only drawback would be that he just isn't Bruce Wayne but if the script is solid i could overlook that.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote