To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 24 2013, 02:43 AM   #16
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: Cast the new Batman

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I like the Armie Hammer suggestion I've seen, but, how many years do they want the role to last, and how old do they want Batman/Bruce to be when it's done? He's almost 27 now, probably be 28 by the time they do this movie, might they want him the role 10+ years and might they want someone that old by then (NOTE: I have no problem with a 40 year old Batman when he leaves the role, but, would the movie makers want to do the stories that entails?)
An actor being 40 doesn't entail any particular type of Batman story. Keaton was 40 when he shot Batman Returns.
Old July 24 2013, 02:50 AM   #17
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

40 is the new 39.
Old July 24 2013, 02:51 AM   #18
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Yeah, being 40 doesn't exactly rule one out from playing a Super Hero, like Iron Man. But I think they're likely to pick someone closer in age to Cavill. Although it really does depend on what the story calls for.

Maybe they should pick Brandon Routh.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 03:00 AM   #19
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Michael Fassbender.
The more I think about it, the more I like this ^ suggestion.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 03:21 AM   #20
Aragorn
Admiral

If they were going with an older, experienced Batman who has been around for a while, Jim Caviezel. But since they probably want someone younger who can do six or more movies and doesn't have a TV schedule that takes up eight months of his year, how about... Ryan Reynolds?
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 03:51 AM   #21
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
If they were going with an older, experienced Batman who has been around for a while, Jim Caviezel. But since they probably want someone younger who can do six or more movies and doesn't have a TV schedule that takes up eight months of his year, how about... Ryan Reynolds?
How about someone who can act?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 05:22 AM   #22
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Cosmic Book News is not what I would consider a reliable source of info under any circumstances, but apparently an actor named Tyler Hoechlin is being considered and will screen test with Cavill.
Old July 24 2013, 11:26 AM   #23
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

A few months ago I would've said that Armie Hammer had to be a frontrunner, but I imagine that the flop of The Lone Ranger has to have damaged his chances. I know Batman doesn't need a big name but they may feel that he might damage the brand. Having said that, Christian Bale had a string of flops and low-performers before BB, so they may take a gamble.

I would imagine that both those who were on the shortlist for Man of Steel and even those who were runners-up for Batman Begins will be under consideration this time out. If they want a more established Batman, then the likes of Jake Gyllenhall, who was apparently Goyer's preferred choice for Begins (Nolan plumped for Bale) must be contenders.

It's really hard to say, as they could go for a complete unknown, a biggish star or someone like Bale circa-2004, who had been around for a while, without making the A list. It depends on whether they want a Batman near the start of his career - and I have a feeling that this Batman will be a year or two into it - or a more seasoned one. Much is going to depend on the chemistry he shows with Cavill and that's just not possible to determine. I note that Cavill and Hammer are to co-star in The Man from UNCLE and this could either help or hinder the chances of them being paired as Superman and Batman.
Old July 24 2013, 12:47 PM   #24
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Gaith wrote: View Post
Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
30ish, ruggedly handsome (maybe a little slicker than Cavill) but still believable as an internationally successful businessman and playboy. That's a tall order. Thoughts?
Well then, the choice is clear:

...if your joke happened, at long last, Michael Keaton would meet his match as the worst live-action Batman of all time.
Old July 24 2013, 12:55 PM   #25
Pingfah
Admiral

Idris Elba.
Old July 24 2013, 01:33 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

Jax wrote: View Post
Sam Witwer
That is a really excellent suggestion. Not only is he the right physical type, but he's an amazingly good voice actor and thus could probably do a really good job differentiating Bruce and Batman, without having to resort to that ridiculous growl Bale used.

Unfortunately, he's only known as a TV actor and the casting will probably focus on people known from movies. (Then again, Zachary Quinto was known mainly from TV when he was cast as Spock. But he had the advantage of looking strikingly like a young Leonard Nimoy.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 02:01 PM   #27
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post
Sam Witwer
Unfortunately, he's only known as a TV actor and the casting will probably focus on people known from movies.
Not necessarily. Henry Cavill was best known for The Tudors when he landed the Man of Steel lead, while Joshua Jackson, who was still remembered at the time for Dawson's Creek, was in the last handful of contenders for Batman circa Begins, as was the then little-known Cillian Murphy. Brandon Routh was more or less a complete unknown when cast for Superman Returns, Guardians of the Galaxy has just cast Parks and Recreation's Chris Pratt as its lead actor. And the likes of Matthew Bomer, Mutant X's Victor Webster and Angel/Bones' David Boreanaz tested for Superman at various stages over the years.
Old July 24 2013, 02:21 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

^Good points.

Although I think Mr. Webster would probably prefer to be identified as "Continuum's Victor Webster." It's not only more current, but less embarrassing.

Old July 24 2013, 02:21 PM   #29
The Wormhole
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
A few months ago I would've said that Armie Hammer had to be a frontrunner, but I imagine that the flop of The Lone Ranger has to have damaged his chances. I know Batman doesn't need a big name but they may feel that he might damage the brand. Having said that, Christian Bale had a string of flops and low-performers before BB, so they may take a gamble.
Of course, on the flip side of that coin, George Clooney was a successful, high profile actor when he was cast as Batman. And we all saw how that movie turned out.
Old July 24 2013, 02:24 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

^Which is a shame, since Clooney is the only live-action Batman since Adam West that I've really felt was a good fit for the part. (True, West didn't look a thing like Bruce Wayne, but he totally made the role his own.) He could've been a great Batman if he'd had a good script.

I just saw another interesting suggestion online: Jensen Ackles has said he'd be up for the role. Now, I was never too impressed by what I saw of him on Smallville and Supernatural, but he did a superb job of voice acting as Red Hood in the animated movie Batman: Under the Red Hood.