RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 651
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 5 2013, 09:45 AM   #151
Immolatus
Captain

Re: Cast the new Batman

Adam West
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 10:49 AM   #152
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
You mean like Pierce Brosnan and Remington Steele/James Bond. Yeah Hollywood would never do that.
Actually, Remington Steele's production schedule prevented Brosnan from taking the role in the 1980s. As someone else pointed out, he didn't take the role up until the show was off-air. But they did cast him (first time) when the show was still fresh in viewers' memories, so your point does stand.
In fact, the Bond people specifically wouldn't take him as long as he was still appearing on Remington Steele, and the Steele people played hardball, not letting Brosnan go. Thus the Bond producers had to go to Dalton.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 11:35 AM   #153
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^I've heard it told different ways, including the way you describe. I've also heard that NBC had cancelled RS due to low ratings, which freed him up for 007. However, on the back of the publicity created by Brosnan landing the Bond job, the tv show's ratings went back up, so NBC cancelled the cancellation.

This stopped him playing Bond, either because of his contractual obligations simply stopping him having the time to film it or because Cubby Broccoli didn't want a tv actor in the lead. Of course, RS was then cancelled the following year anyway!
Old August 5 2013, 12:02 PM   #154
Christopher
Writer

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
How about this guy?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093589/

Has the exact look, height and body type for Bruce Wayne.
Matt Bomer is a tenor. He has a good voice for Superman -- having just played the role in the DVD movie Superman Unbound -- but not for Batman.

How about Peter Capaldi?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:36 PM   #155
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Clooney did B&R while still a regular in ER but that was an ensemble, as oppose to the 2-headers of Supernatural or Person of Interest.
BOOM; nailed it. Time to bring Clooney back into the fold.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:40 PM   #156
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Might be interesting to see him amend for his past sins in something like The Dark Knight Returns but I don't really see it happening.
Old August 5 2013, 02:52 PM   #157
Gaith
Rear Admiral

"Sins?" B&R wasn't good (though for the self-mocking romp it is, it isn't horrible either), but Clooney's performance wasn't at all lacking, given the context.
Old August 5 2013, 03:24 PM   #158
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Christopher wrote: View Post
StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
How about this guy?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093589/

Has the exact look, height and body type for Bruce Wayne.
Matt Bomer is a tenor. He has a good voice for Superman -- having just played the role in the DVD movie Superman Unbound -- but not for Batman.

How about Peter Capaldi?
And Sean Connery plays Alfred. Let's go "full Scottish".
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 03:58 PM   #159
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
"Sins?" B&R wasn't good (though for the self-mocking romp it is, it isn't horrible either), but Clooney's performance wasn't at all lacking, given the context.
Well, my post wasn't entirely serious but I do think his performance was pretty horrible in it. But nobody could have saved that dog of a movie, IMHO.
Old August 5 2013, 04:26 PM   #160
Christopher
Writer

^Clooney's performance in B&R suffered from the script and direction he had to work with. But there were glimmers of a really good performance in there trying to get out. And he did come closer to the image of Bruce Wayne, square-jawed billionaire playboy than any other actor to play the role in live action.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 04:39 PM   #161
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Gaith wrote: View Post
This... I thought Clooney was perfectly cast in the role. The problems with B&R were with over production and Ahhhnold's over the top one liner-based script.. Well and just the awful script in general...

Clooney would be a great choice for an older, gritty Bruce Wayne/Bats, but it would never happen due to the bad taste in everyone's mouth from B&R...
Old August 5 2013, 05:58 PM   #162
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

It's a shame Clooney already played Bruce/Batman because he'd be great for the more serious toned older Batman.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 07:03 PM   #163
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post

The TV actors are the least likely to be cast based on their television commitment, especially someone like Jim Caviezel or Jensen Ackles who have to be there for 8-9 months. Although if they're filming the next Superman movie in Vancouver and Supernatural is willing to lighten Ackles' load, he could conceivably do double duty.

It would be easier for the cable TV actors -- Timothy Olyphant? -- with their shorter schedules. Just depends on when they shoot their shows.
I doubt Caviezel would be given the role even if scheduling were accounted for. He basically already plays a version of Batman in Person of Interest and would just be taking that character to the big screen.
You mean like Pierce Brosnan and Remington Steele/James Bond. Yeah Hollywood would never do that.
Heck, Buster Crabbe played Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers back in the day.

(And Tarzan to boot!)
Old August 5 2013, 07:13 PM   #164
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Obiwanshinobi wrote: View Post
It's a shame Clooney already played Bruce/Batman because he'd be great for the more serious toned older Batman.
And he could out-gravitas the hell out of Cavill, an obvious plus that perhaps not too many actors could pull off. Watch him in the excellent The American if ye doubt.

Also, since Clooney's said he played Bruce as gay, they could honor that artistic choice by giving him a husband in a minor/cameo role.

... Played by Chris O'Donnell.

... Hey, who are all those people outside my office? And why are they carrying those torches and pitchforks?
Old August 5 2013, 07:47 PM   #165
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I've liked Clooney in everything else I've seen him in and I do think he'd make a good Batman in the right film. But I found his performance in B&R smug and smirking. I didn't think he was doing the best with the material he got - I thought he was part of the problem. But that's only my 2c.