Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 4 2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

X-Men (2000) vs. First Class and Origins: Wolverine

If I am to understand things correctly all of the X-Men movies we've had so-far take place "in the same universe" which is fine and good but between the different directors and the 13 year time span between X-Men and The Wolverine the consistencies seem... muddy.

For all intents and purposes it seems that end of "Origins: Wolverine" take place in 1979. I say that as I'm guessing the incident at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant was "covered up" as being the partial meltdown that happened there in that year. Granted, that's pure speculation but the time of the movie is hard to pin down as it seems not too much attention was paid to trying to establish a time-period.

So in "X-Men" Professor-X suggests that Wolverine has been drifting on his own for "15 years." We'll ignore that the movie claims to take place in "the not too distant future" (or by that it's speaking in a matter of days, weeks or maybe months.) But Wolverine has been drifting on his own for probably closer to 20 years. (TMI incident: 1979, X-Men: 2000.)

In X-Men Professor-X says he was 17 when he met Magneto but in "First Class" Charles Xavier is in his early 20s/in college when he meets Magneto and, of course, the big one being the movie seems to take place over the course of months maybe at the end of which Xavier ends up crippled and he and Magneto gone their different ways.

We see a teenage Scott Summers in Origins (again, 1979) but he certainly doesn't seem to be man pushing 40 in X-Men and, well, we could go on and on.

You know, maybe this movie series needs a huge reboot in order to make consistency here.

Old August 4 2013, 09:51 PM   #2
T'Baio
Admiral

Re: X-Men (2000) vs. First Class and Origins: Wolverine

Just ignore Origins. Even the studio seems to be.

If not for anything, it's one of the most incompetently made blockbuster productions in decades. I don't think we should be analyzing its script for "consistency."

Then again, I thought "The Wolverine's" script was pretty terrible, too...so what do I know?
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 12:15 AM   #3
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
Even the studio seems to be.
No. That was what some people wanted, but it didn't happen.

With the new movie mentioning Kayla, showing a WWII flashback and having bone claws all over the place, they're hardly ignoring Origins.
Old August 5 2013, 12:23 AM   #4
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Ignore all dates in the X-Films. It doesn't fix all the problems, but it helps.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 01:05 AM   #5
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
No. That was what some people wanted, but it didn't happen.

With the new movie mentioning Kayla, showing a WWII flashback and having bone claws all over the place, they're hardly ignoring Origins.
Ha, gotta include its inclusion in future blu combo packs somehow, I guess. Fifty cents to manufacture an extra disc, another five bucks to the sticker price.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
We see a teenage Scott Summers in Origins (again, 1979) but he certainly doesn't seem to be man pushing 40 in X-Men and, well, we could go on and on.
C'mon, man, every X-fan worth his or her adamantium knows about that one time Cyke brawled with the Timekeeper and was rifted forward two decades.

Hey, puppies!

Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 01:08 AM   #6
T'Baio
Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
T'Baio wrote: View Post
Even the studio seems to be.
Damn, that's right.

Damn.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:35 AM   #7
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

It gets even worse if we assume that those distinctive-looking kids we saw in the Cerebro sequence in FC were supposed to be Scott, Jean, and Ororo...in 1962.

Honestly, the whole subject just doesn't bear close scrutiny. Who knows, with the coming film being based around time travel, maybe they'll work in some sort of fix...but I doubt it.
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:49 AM   #8
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Ha, gotta include its inclusion in future blu combo packs somehow, I guess. Fifty cents to manufacture an extra disc, another five bucks to the sticker price.
Whatever you gotta tell yourself.

Rearguard actions are so cute...
Old August 5 2013, 04:50 AM   #9
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Hey, I think XMO:W gets a bad rap. Start watching it about halfway in, and you've got yourself a fairly decent flick. I even found the climax kinda moving, as I'm a total sucker for seeing cute girls escape captivity. I'll happily watch it over the more polished yet far more depressing missed potential of The X-Men Film That Shall Not Be Named any day.

That said, I'm sure that even those that made it know that that first hour is crap on a stick.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 04:50 AM   #10
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

First Class i feel is the best movie of the 3. Story, direction and action are all excellent.

Next I give X-Men Origins. It wins out over X-Men because Origins paints a better picture of mutants. Not all mutants are restrained and responsible with their powers. The mutants in Origins are irresponsible and don't care how they use their powers or how they effect people around them. Sure the action is WAY over the top, but I'd rather that than X-Men (2000) second stringer Brotherhood of Mutants vs a superior X-Men team.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 05:10 AM   #11
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Hey, I think XMO:W gets a bad rap.
Yeah, but only because it's so crappy.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 05:16 AM   #12
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

X-Men Origins is right up there with Revenge of the Fallen in terms of crappiness I agree. However I prefer them each over X-Men 2000 and Transformers 1.

With them I only ask to be entertained. The moment i turn on my critic or nerd rage cap I get frustrated.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 06:06 AM   #13
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The next new XMen movie will have time travel and fix everything.
Old August 5 2013, 06:07 AM   #14
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Hey, I think XMO:W gets a bad rap. Start watching it about halfway in, and you've got yourself a fairly decent flick. I even found the climax kinda moving, as I'm a total sucker for seeing cute girls escape captivity. I'll happily watch it over the more polished yet far more depressing missed potential of The X-Men Film That Shall Not Be Named any day.

That said, I'm sure that even those that made it know that that first hour is crap on a stick.
which cute girl are your referring to?
Old August 5 2013, 07:49 AM   #15
Chuck Finley
Commander

Eh, people get older and remember dates and facts wrong, so Professor X could be just guesstimating. The dates are roughly close enough. Overall, I still see all movies tied into a grand story. It seems like DOFP is like a sequel to both First Class and X-Men 3.
Chuck Finley is offline   Reply With Quote