MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 24 2013, 04:50 AM   #16
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: The least disliked episode of TNG - Season Two

Where Silence Has Lease

This episode can be creepy on the first viewing, but on the 10th, it can be a little slow and boring.

Elementary, Dear Data
The Schizoid Man
A Matter of Honor
The Measure of a Man
Contagion
Time Squared
Pen Pals
Q Who?
The Emissary
Peak Performance
Old July 24 2013, 06:37 AM   #17
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Hmm, I'll have to go with A Matter of Honor.

Elementary, Dear Data
The Schizoid Man
The Measure of a Man
Contagion
Time Squared
Pen Pals
Q Who?
The Emissary
Peak Performance

Riker fucks some scientist's wife, he finds out and gets jealous, tries to kill him and blows up the station by accident.

Yeah, so enlightened

Both acted like shitheads, so off it goes!
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 08:15 AM   #18
Reeborg
Commander

GalaxyX wrote: View Post

Riker fucks some scientist's wife, he finds out and gets jealous, tries to kill him and blows up the station by accident.

Yeah, so enlightened

Wtf, where is your PERSPECTIVE?
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 08:26 AM   #19
DeepSpaceWine
Commander

Ah, the list is getting down to the good episodes, so I'll remove the least good of the good from the list: Elementary, Dear Data. There are better holodeck episodes. Granted, they are scant on TNG.

What was the fascination with Sherlock Holmes circa 1988? I recall the cartoon Bravestarr did a 2-part pilot of Sherlock Holmes in the 24th Century (hmmm....), which eventually became a tv series a decade later (no one bit at it in 1988... or Filmation went under and the idea went with them). And I think there was something else, a movie perhaps? Hmmm... I might have an idea. Yep. Sherlock Holmes debuted in 1887, so the stuff in 1987/88 might've been trying to mark the 100th anniversary of the character.

Elementary, Dear Data
The Schizoid Man
The Measure of a Man
Contagion
Time Squared
Pen Pals
Q Who?
The Emissary
Peak Performance
DeepSpaceWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 08:43 AM   #20
Mario de Monti
Captain

It IS getting more difficult to drop an episode now. Ill go with "Time Squared", since Ive never cared much for time travel related epsiodes or those with two Kirks in TOS - and having two Picards is only slightly better

PS: I also removed "Elementary, Dear Data" for DeepSpaceWine

The Schizoid Man
The Measure of a Man
Contagion
Pen Pals
Q Who?
The Emissary
Peak Performance
Old July 24 2013, 10:41 AM   #21
dodge
Lieutenant Commander

You're thinking of an entirely different episode...

Anyway, off goes Contagion, it's the weakest of the lot.
It has Romulans, entering th neutral zone, a mysterious ancient culture and a Galaxy class ship blowing up, it should have been a far more coherent episode instead of a jumbled mess it turned out.

Not to mention the resolution of the episode is essentially "have you tried turning it off and on again?"...

The Schizoid Man
The Measure of a Man
Pen Pals
Q Who?
The Emissary
Peak Performance
Old July 24 2013, 11:08 AM   #22
MacLeod
Admiral

DeepSpaceWine wrote: View Post
Ah, the list is getting down to the good episodes, so I'll remove the least good of the good from the list: Elementary, Dear Data. There are better holodeck episodes. Granted, they are scant on TNG.

What was the fascination with Sherlock Holmes circa 1988? I recall the cartoon Bravestarr did a 2-part pilot of Sherlock Holmes in the 24th Century (hmmm....), which eventually became a tv series a decade later (no one bit at it in 1988... or Filmation went under and the idea went with them). And I think there was something else, a movie perhaps? Hmmm... I might have an idea. Yep. Sherlock Holmes debuted in 1887, so the stuff in 1987/88 might've been trying to mark the 100th anniversary of the character.

However there was a TV series that adapted the stories that started in 1984 and ran to 1994, On ITV in the UK.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 01:47 PM   #23
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Reeborg wrote: View Post

Yeah, so enlightened

This selection should be voided as the poster obviously has no idea of what he has voted for.

It's not the one with the space station. It's the one with the historian from the future who turns out to be a thief from the past.
Old July 24 2013, 01:55 PM   #24
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I've removed Pen Pals, not because it is a poor episode but because it is the worst of the list we're left with. If I have to voice a reason it is that Riker comes across as a douche with his reasoning behind allowing the species to die.

The Schizoid Man
A Matter of Honour
The Measure of a Man
Q Who?
The Emissary
Peak Performance
Old July 24 2013, 04:09 PM   #25
BlueStuff
Rear Admiral

MikeS wrote: View Post
Reeborg wrote: View Post

Yeah, so enlightened

This selection should be voided as the poster obviously has no idea of what he has voted for.

It's not the one with the space station. It's the one with the historian from the future who turns out to be a thief from the past.
Actually, that's A Matter of Time. A Matter of Honor features Riker being assigned to a Klingon ship.

Now Peak Performance gets the boot because the guest star annoyed the hell out of me. He really overplayed the squirmy, pompous arrogance of that character. He did something with his eyes that reminded me of the "shifty dog" from that episode of the Simpsons where Homer tries to convince Mel Gibson a dog in his movie should be given shifty eyes so that the audience would suspect him.

The Schizoid Man
A Matter of Honour
The Measure of a Man
Q Who?
The Emissary
BlueStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 05:17 PM   #26
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Man this last group has what seems to be best of S2 in it. The only one that stands out to me as not belonging is the awkward (and improbable) "The Schizoid Man".

"I can safely say, that to know him, was to love him. And to love him, was to know him...
Those who knew him, loved him, while those who did not know him, loved him from afar." -- Graves in Data's body at his former body's funeral, with a sh*t eating grin on his face.

A Matter of Honour
The Measure of a Man
Q Who?
The Emissary
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 05:38 PM   #27
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I imagine the final two will be a tough one. Perhaps it can be put up to a vote?

Funny that both Klingon-centric episodes make it to the top 4. Of the 4, I think A Matter of Honor is the weakest link. Both Klingon episodes have silly premises - one with a frozen crew who wake up to wreak havoc, and the other an officer exchange program. BTW, why did it take a full season for the Klingons to send over an officer in return?

What weakens A Matter of Honor is the Mendon/Mordok thing. I can't remember which is which, but his fish out of water subplot was weird. The Emissary is free of a silly subplot like that, and Worf/Dorn really gets to shine in it.

The Measure of a Man
Q Who?
The Emissary
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 06:27 PM   #28
Mario de Monti
Captain

I cant possibly ditch Q introducing us to the Borg or Datas struggle to be accepted as a person so Im afraid "The Emissary" has to go.

The Measure of a Man
Q Who?

Now who makes the final call for season two?
Old July 24 2013, 06:37 PM   #29
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
I cant possibly ditch Q introducing us to the Borg or Datas struggle to be accepted as a person so Im afraid "The Emissary" has to go.

The Measure of a Man
Q Who?

Now who makes the final call for season two?
Man... I knew it would come down to these two... I really don't know how to call that....
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 06:38 PM   #30
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

Well then, at last "Measure" has to go.

The Winner is: "Q who?" - it lays the ground to the best ST-Twoparter and Cliffhanger ever.

Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote