USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Hemsworth To Host SNL

Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 13 2014, 04:49 AM   #1306
J. Allen
Remember... Remember.

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
^ Tootles.

I have to spend the day at home while the windows in the apartment are replaced. I figure it's a good opportunity to start rewatching the series. The more I reflect on it, the more the animated segments have grown on me. It'll be interesting to see if that new appreciation holds up on a second watch.
I have loved the animated segments from day one. I guess I appreciate them a little bit more than the live action sequences. Plus, Patrick Stewart voiced one of the characters, which makes it all awesome.
I've noticed that about your people, Doctor. You find it easier to understand the death of one than the death of a million. You speak about the objective hardness of the Vulcan heart, yet how little room there seems to be in yours. - Spock, The Immunity Syndrome

Leonard Nimoy: 1931 - 2015
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 09:28 AM   #1307
Awesome Possum
Mad With Power

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

I really need to get the Blu-Ray set.
I have existed from the creation of the forum and I shall exist until the last thread is deleted from the server. Although I have taken the form of Awesome Possum, I am all posters as I am no poster and therefore I am a Mod.
Awesome Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 11:38 AM   #1308
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Well, all I managed yesterday was the first episode (too hectic). But ... wow ... on BR it's absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous. Having seen the entire series, and knowing how it turns out, seeing the introduction to it all is all the more special.

And yes, Neil's story about Carl was still just as moving.
Old June 13 2014, 03:49 PM   #1309
Yanks
Fleet Captain

You're not making the distinction between short term (decade-length) variance and long term climate change. You're paying attention to the dog on the leash, not the path the man is walking.
No I'm not, look at the blue line.

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Why is everybody still arguing with g over this? He's either a troll or stuck on stupid. Either way, I'd rather just bask in this series' awesomeness. regardless of any supposed agenda.
Bask away.

But the agenda was promoted by lie in the series. Just be aware.

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I don't get it either.

I mean, even if you do convince him to get his head out of his ass, what does it accomplish?
Who is "him"?
If you can't even keep up with a simple conversation, especially when you quote the post that was immediately preceding the one you're asking the question about, why bother wasting the virtual breath trying to explain it to you?
Just walk away. You are contributing nothing to this conversation.

Davros wrote: View Post
There have been no lies in the series.
That's just false. Take of your climate change armegeddon binders and critique this series honestly.

Start with Bruno. It's all over the internet, just google it.
Old June 13 2014, 05:23 PM   #1310
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

You're not making the distinction between short term (decade-length) variance and long term climate change. You're paying attention to the dog on the leash, not the path the man is walking.
No I'm not, look at the blue line.
Yes, you really are. If you're referring only to decade-length data within the overall graph, then yes, you're losing the forest for the trees. Take a look at that long-term rise in the blue line. That is the CO2-driven climate change.

I don't think there's a clearer visual representation of that long-term change. Thank you for providing it.
That's just false. Take of your climate change armegeddon binders and critique this series honestly.

Then find one of those lies and share it here. Please, provide sources, too.
Old June 13 2014, 06:00 PM   #1311
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Yes, you really are. If you're referring only to decade-length data within the overall graph, then yes, you're losing the forest for the trees. Take a look at that long-term rise in the blue line. That is the CO2-driven climate change.

I don't think there's a clearer visual representation of that long-term change. Thank you for providing it.
I never siad there wasn't long term change.

I'm saying and have always said the sky isn't falling.

... wonder how those trends went down during the industrial revolution...

Just read this thread. It's not like you'll accept them anyways...
Old June 13 2014, 07:28 PM   #1312
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

I never siad there wasn't long term change.

I'm saying and have always said the sky isn't falling.
And who, exactly has said, "The sky is falling"? Speaking plainly and soberly about climate change - acknowledging that it is happening at what the long term effects are likely to be is the responsible discussion most scientists (and people here) are having.

... wonder how those trends went down during the industrial revolution...
More fixation on the dog on the leash ...

[
Just read this thread. It's not like you'll accept them anyways...
Not with unsupported, vague assertions. Please provide the exact quote (including the episode and time) from Cosmos and the evidence proving it was a "lie." Otherwise, I absolutely will not accept the claim as valid.
Old June 14 2014, 12:22 AM   #1313
gturner
Admiral

Even Galileo, who was persecuted by the Church and knew Bruno, didn't make the leap that Bruno was somehow a martyr for science. Aside from worshiping the Egyptian god Thoth, Bruno wanted to lead a vast army in a religious war against Christians.

In another episode Tyson talks about the early Chinese philosopher Mozi who wrote an anti-religious book called "Against Faith" which advocated rationalism over religion. Unfortunately, Mozi's essay (not book) was "Against FATE" and was an argument against fatalism. In fact, Mozi founded a monotheistic religion, and may be the only Chinese philosopher to do so.

Regarding Hypatia, who Cosmos claimed was killed by Christians in Alexandria because she was a pagan scientist, the only known source says the mob killed her because they thought she was poisoning the well of reconciliation between the Christian Roman governor and a bishop (Cyril) who was defending the Jews in a Christian/Jewish dispute.

According to Cosmos, her death was shortly after the destruction of the Great Library in Alexandria in 391 AD by a Christian mob, which is odd because it was actually destroyed in 47 or 48 BC, which makes the Christian mob story rather unlikely.

And we don't know that Venus ever had an ocean, and will probably never know because it got resurfaced by volcanic activity. We also don't know that the Earth's oceans were entirely boiled away, repeatedly, and indeed we can rule that out because it would take an impactor that would make Chicxulub look like a BB. But of course he needed the ridiculously large (and scientifically indefensible) impact so he could make his panspermia lines seem viable.

I suppose that if NGT's multiverse is correct, there must be a universe where Cosmos didn't just make stuff up.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 12:47 AM   #1314
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Not worth it gt.

They actually think that comparing current climate conditions to a period in earth's history is level headed rational discussion.
Old June 14 2014, 01:36 AM   #1315
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

gturner wrote: View Post
Even Galileo, who was persecuted by the Church and knew Bruno, didn't make the leap that Bruno was somehow a martyr for science. Aside from worshiping the Egyptian god Thoth, Bruno wanted to lead a vast army in a religious war against Christians.

In another episode Tyson talks about the early Chinese philosopher Mozi who wrote an anti-religious book called "Against Faith" which advocated rationalism over religion. Unfortunately, Mozi's essay (not book) was "Against FATE" and was an argument against fatalism. In fact, Mozi founded a monotheistic religion, and may be the only Chinese philosopher to do so.

Regarding Hypatia, who Cosmos claimed was killed by Christians in Alexandria because she was a pagan scientist, the only known source says the mob killed her because they thought she was poisoning the well of reconciliation between the Christian Roman governor and a bishop (Cyril) who was defending the Jews in a Christian/Jewish dispute.

According to Cosmos, her death was shortly after the destruction of the Great Library in Alexandria in 391 AD by a Christian mob, which is odd because it was actually destroyed in 47 or 48 BC, which makes the Christian mob story rather unlikely.

And we don't know that Venus ever had an ocean, and will probably never know because it got resurfaced by volcanic activity. We also don't know that the Earth's oceans were entirely boiled away, repeatedly, and indeed we can rule that out because it would take an impactor that would make Chicxulub look like a BB. But of course he needed the ridiculously large (and scientifically indefensible) impact so he could make his panspermia lines seem viable.

I suppose that if NGT's multiverse is correct, there must be a universe where Cosmos didn't just make stuff up.
The direct quotes from the series to support all of these assertions are ... where?

If I had to guess, they're probably where all the missing sources that belonged in the others posts ended up, too.
Old June 14 2014, 02:49 AM   #1316
gturner
Admiral

I'm assuming you were off making popcorn when those segments were aired.
Old June 14 2014, 03:16 AM   #1317
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

Quotes (with timestamps), please.
Old June 14 2014, 03:49 AM   #1318
gturner
Admiral

So you don't believe that the topics hotly discussed in this thread after an episode aired were actually discussed?
Old June 14 2014, 03:51 AM   #1319
J. Allen
Remember... Remember.

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
They have it on Amazon for $29 right now.
I've noticed that about your people, Doctor. You find it easier to understand the death of one than the death of a million. You speak about the objective hardness of the Vulcan heart, yet how little room there seems to be in yours. - Spock, The Immunity Syndrome

Leonard Nimoy: 1931 - 2015
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 04:06 AM   #1320
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

gturner wrote: View Post
So you don't believe that the topics hotly discussed in this thread after an episode aired were actually discussed?
I don't believe any characterization of Cosmos in your posts. Your posts routinely distort truth, resort to hyperbole, and are entirely unsupported by factual sources. Your posts have made broad, sweeping claims about what the series stated on a number of points, and I'm asking for those posts to provide the exact quotes in question.

See, that would be the scientific approach: claims supported with actual, verifiable evidence.

Otherwise, I believe your posts are thoroughly mischaracterizing, distorting, or are quite simply are wrong about what was actually stated in the show.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
They have it on Amazon for $29 right now.
It's a wonderful investment. As much as I enjoyed it the first time through, the series is even better on a rewatch - on Blu-Ray, sans commercial breaks. It really is highly compelling science.