Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 6 2014, 09:50 PM   #1201
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Forbin wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
I prefer the Jeffrey Hunter version of Jesus. He had such beautiful eyes...
I liked Jeffrey Hunter. So sad that he passed, with such a great future ahead of him. Still, my favorite Jesus is Robert Powell. Just something about him that made it seem like there was something greater to him, something unknowable. I loved his portrayal.
Ted Neely FTW!
Ted Neely is awesome in JCSS, but to be honest, Carl Anderson stole that musical/movie right out from under him.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 02:26 PM   #1202
Forbin
Admiral

Well, yeah.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 07:48 PM   #1203
publiusr
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post

New York City, on the other hand, has apparently stopped buying hybrid buses and is scrapping some of the ones it already has.

Great...just great. Now, to be fair, I have heard it said that buses are the greenest form of transport if filled to capacity--but the least green if you only have one or two riders...

gturner wrote: View Post
denouncement and excommunication, as happened to Lennart Bengtsson last month, one of the world's leading climatologists with 258 published papers .
That does seem to be the case
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennart_Bengtsson

Still, I'd like to get off hydrocarbons that should be saved for chemical foodstocks

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post

There was a time when inspiring the public to do great things, like defeat Hitler or go to the Moon, was not seen as an annoyance to complain about, but as a worthy and noble pursuit.

I do wonder what our grandparents or great-grandparents (in America) who kicked the Nazi's in the teeth, who defeated the militarists in Japan, then came back and built the world's number one economy would think of their children
That, to me, is an even greater threat than AGW.

We have this anti-gov't movement that scares the crap out of me.

The Greatest Generation had the polar opposite viewpoint.

Don't trust businessmen. We remember the bankers and de-regulation. Instead, let's put the best minds of Uncle Sam on a problem and lick it.

This can-do atmosphere has been de-railed.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 08:34 PM   #1204
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

publiusr wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

New York City, on the other hand, has apparently stopped buying hybrid buses and is scrapping some of the ones it already has.

Great...just great. Now, to be fair, I have heard it said that buses are the greenest form of transport if filled to capacity--but the least green if you only have one or two riders...
Given the ... ahem ... gas emissions ... in such a crowded bus during rush hour, I'm pretty sure the "green" is from the complexion of the passengers.

Seriously, though, it's not all doom and gloom, and reflects the practical, pragmatic process it takes to systematically reduce emissions in a reasonable, responsible manner - one that doesn't ignore the need to reduce carbon emissions, while still understanding that drastic, sudden change isn't going to work. The hybrids will remain in Manhattan and, in the outer boroughs where the technology isn't as efficient, newer, cleaner-air diesels will be used:

Ironically, the switch back to diesel engines could mean cleaner air in New York. Henry Sullivan, the MTA’s chief maintenance officer for buses, said that the hybrids the MTA runs conform to 2004 Environmental Protection Agency emission standards. The new diesel engines, he told the Post, conform to stricter 2007 standards: “When we first went with the hybrid in 2004 that was the way to go. The diesel is better than the hybrid now.”

As the IBT wrote, hybrid city buses are really made for “intense stop-and-go routes where the average speed is 8 miles per hour.” Such as Manhattan. And the city’s keeping hybrids there. But “in situations where buses travel longer distances at higher speeds, the hybrid system is less useful because the lithium ion battery harvests power from when the vehicle brakes and when the bus is coasting,” the IBT explained, which is why they’ll be fine for Manhattan, where buses “travel much slower and brake more often than the buses in the outer boroughs.”
Source
Old June 7 2014, 08:54 PM   #1205
Christopher
Writer

Well, that's not so bad, then.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 09:17 PM   #1206
Forbin
Admiral

But wouldn't pure electric still be better than diesel? Certainly less smelly.
Old June 7 2014, 09:38 PM   #1207
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

Why yes, yes it would be better. And when the technology exists to efficiently run a purely electric bus fleet, I imagine many cities, like New York, will make the switch. But this is why we, as a society, need to invest in developing these technologies. Government regulations and incentives are certainly an appropriate way to help stimulate that research.
Old June 8 2014, 01:02 AM   #1208
gturner
Admiral

Many cities made the switch to electric buses back in the 1920's, and some switched over prior to WW-I. Many cities never abandoned them.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 12:03 AM   #1209
Reverend
Rear Admiral

All the electric vehicles in the world won't do a damn thing so long as the method for generating all that extra power is done through either burning fossil fuels or dumping fission reactor waste.

We either need a MUCH more efficient solar cell technology or a viable fusion reactor design.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 12:08 AM   #1210
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

The efficient solar cell is happening, but it would be nice to see more investment into the technology. Instead, fossil fuels and other legacy energies continue to get the majority of funding.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 01:30 AM   #1211
Forbin
Admiral

Electric buses with solar cells on the roof, maybe?
Old June 9 2014, 01:46 AM   #1212
gturner
Admiral

Not nearly enough power output unless you're on the planet Mercury.

Solar still gets a lot of investment. During 2013 wind power installations dropped to about 8 percent of their 2012 level, though it might rebound somewhat this year. Fracking is taking a heavy toll on both sectors, making it very hard for them to compete and pay back the initial costs. As investments go, thorium could probably wipe out the entire sector if given a green light, and green energy stocks were shaky to being with, having lost 78 percent of their value since 2008, though somewhat recovering last year due to solar.
Old June 9 2014, 01:55 AM   #1213
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
I'd much rather see this tha elminate entire towns because "someone" thinks coal is a bad thing. The thought that that is acceptable to anyone is frightening.
No, I'm sure burning a substance into a belching black smoke and dumping it into the air by the tons every minute is a *good* thing for everyone.
I read a whole bunch of Victorian-era novels (several of them being works by Dickens) a few years ago, and it really struck me how much those novels mentioned the perpetual black coal smoke that blanketed London at the time. Those novels were typically about class struggle, finance, and the spectre of invisible money (credits, checks, and the then-new stock market system), but antagonists would almost always be involved with big businesses that polluted the air; the coal-filled London atmosphere would often be a metaphor for lack of moral clarity, poor health, and forces bigger than just one person.

Compare that to London of today; not perfect by any means, of course, but the air is *definitely* cleaner and the literature doesn't dwell on evil industrialists nearly as much, either. Yes, there's at least a century of difference in the two, but my point is: even reading 19th-century novels reveals a lot about how coal isn't exactly the safest, cleanest, healthiest resource. It really puts into context how much one would have to deny the harm it's caused over the years, and why other resources need to be explored and developed.
Old June 9 2014, 02:50 AM   #1214
gturner
Admiral

They were burning coal because it was the alternative to wood. They were burning it inefficiently because they needed the heat locally, which means fireplaces, furnaces, and boilers.

Ironically, to meet their green energy obligations the UK is going to clear cut swaths of Eastern US forests and ship millions of tons of wood pellets to Britain because under the EU climate guidelines, burning US forests counts as renewable energy. Other European countries may follow suit. US wildlife isn't very happy about it, but by gosh, someone has to save the environment.

Wall Street Journal story, but you can also get it from the BBC.

CAGW is actually a plot by the Koch Brothers to keep environmentalists distracted with a shiny spoon. That's why Obama gave the wind turbines a 20-year get-out-of-jail free card on chopping up bald eagles and other endangered species.
Old June 9 2014, 03:17 AM   #1215
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

Thank you Neil deGrasse Tyson, Ann Druyan, Seth MacFarlane, Steven Soter, Carl Sagan, and everyone responsible for this series. What a wonderful, powerful, inspiring, and scientific finale.

Pale Blue Dot, indeed.