Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 28 2014, 05:57 PM   #616
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Yanks wrote: View Post
Neil is so hard to listen too...
His uptalking annoys me.

The music is very well done. I hear some "trek" in there...
The music is part Trek, part Contact (the movie based on Carl Sagan's novel). There are entire musical passages lifted intact from that movie (yes, I've seen it that many times that I can recognize the music).

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 06:03 PM   #617
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Timewalker wrote: View Post
The music is part Trek, part Contact (the movie based on Carl Sagan's novel). There are entire musical passages lifted intact from that movie (yes, I've seen it that many times that I can recognize the music).
A GREAT sci-fi movie... I hadn't seen it till about a year ago (if you can believe it). Love everything about that movie.
Old April 28 2014, 11:59 PM   #618
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
That was a great episode. Our Sun is a good egg, I don't think we're grateful enough.
Agreed. And considering that some day we're all going to end up together in the same cloud of interstellar dust, it makes a lot of current stuff going on around the world seem awfully petty.
The infinite scope of the universe and the vast depth of time really make all our problems on Earth look absurd.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I love our Sun.

I'm curious as to what our world will be like one billion years from now, when the Sun gains 10% more luminosity. I figure "hot" will be an understatement.
I read a book a few years ago about Earth's fate as the sun expands. At that point IIRC the Earth is a dead planet, life is long gone and the oceans have evaporated. I think the book said that Earth only has around 400 million years left before the sun becomes too hot for life. Although by that time Mars will have warmed up and we could live there for a while.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 12:52 AM   #619
Timewalker

A GREAT sci-fi movie... I hadn't seen it till about a year ago (if you can believe it). Love everything about that movie.
Have you read the book? There are some rather interesting changes in some of the characterizations and the plot.

That was a great episode. Our Sun is a good egg, I don't think we're grateful enough.
Agreed. And considering that some day we're all going to end up together in the same cloud of interstellar dust, it makes a lot of current stuff going on around the world seem awfully petty.
The infinite scope of the universe and the vast depth of time really make all our problems on Earth look absurd.

I love our Sun.

I'm curious as to what our world will be like one billion years from now, when the Sun gains 10% more luminosity. I figure "hot" will be an understatement.
I read a book a few years ago about Earth's fate as the sun expands. At that point IIRC the Earth is a dead planet, life is long gone and the oceans have evaporated. I think the book said that Earth only has around 400 million years left before the sun becomes too hot for life. Although by that time Mars will have warmed up and we could live there for a while.
We should figure out a way to terraform it, then - at least enough for an atmosphere and ozone layer.

Old April 29 2014, 01:17 AM   #620
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

This show, while I'm enjoying it and will not miss an episode, pales in comparison to Carl Sagan's show.

It's not the content or the visuals, it's the narration.

Carl's narration was what made the show...

They would have done much better not choosing Tyson.

The "Dirty jobs" guy would have been much much better.

Neil is so hard to listen too...

The music is very well done. I hear some "trek" in there...
Mike Rowe? Hell, no! I like Mike Rowe, but narrating this? No. Neil does a fantastic job, and is a worthy successor to Sagan. Mike's a good guy, but Neil actually understands the physics underneath his narration, just as Carl did. No, no, Neil does just fine.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 01:28 AM   #621
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Have you read the book? There are some rather interesting changes in some of the characterizations and the plot.

I love our Sun.

We should figure out a way to terraform it, then - at least enough for an atmosphere and ozone layer.
Am I the only one who thinks that 400 MILLION years is a long time ahead? Dinosaurs went extinct 65 million years ago. Homos have been barely here for 1-2 million years.

Oh, and no modern civilization has lasted longer than 1000 years on average.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 01:32 AM   #622
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I love our Sun.

Ooh, I wasn't even thinking about Mars. You wouldn't happen to remember the name of that book, would you?
Old April 29 2014, 02:09 AM   #623
Christopher
Writer

Mike Rowe? Hell, no! I like Mike Rowe, but narrating this? No. Neil does a fantastic job, and is a worthy successor to Sagan. Mike's a good guy, but Neil actually understands the physics underneath his narration, just as Carl did. No, no, Neil does just fine.
More to the point, Tyson is a) an actual astrophysicist, and thus works in the same field as Sagan, and b) was a protege of Sagan's. And of course he's one of the co-developers of this series. He's not just someone they hired to read the words.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 02:35 AM   #624
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
Tyson ... was a protege of Sagan's.
I've seen you say this before, Christopher, but I'm not sure that "protege" is the right word to describe their relationship. Tyson didn't study with Sagan, and I'm not clear that they ever even worked together. I can sort of see how you're getting "protege" from their relationship -- Sagan clearly had an interest in the young Tyson, and Tyson met him as a teen when he was still sorting out his direction in life -- yet I think the word connotes a much closer relationship than that.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 03:33 AM   #625
Forbin
Admiral

My takeaway from tonight's show is that I can actually name a shuttlecraft "Payne" and tell people it's named after a notable scientist and not myself.

But seriously folks, I absolutely loved this ep. Stellar science presented as poetry. Just beautiful. And I loved the moment Tyson seemed to realize he'd better sit down before the hypernova went off.

Oh, and, all those myths explaining the Pleiades seemed just as plausible to me as your basic Judeo-Christian creation myths. Also, appropos of absolutely nothing, I have a picture of the Pleiades on my car. It's a Subaru.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 04:05 AM   #626
Timewalker

Years ago, in one of his science essays, Isaac Asimov mentioned a mnemonic device to remember the order of the stellar categories:

"Oh, Be A Fine Girl/Guy, Kiss Me!"

Old April 29 2014, 04:07 AM   #627
Christopher
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Tyson ... was a protege of Sagan's.
I've seen you say this before, Christopher, but I'm not sure that "protege" is the right word to describe their relationship. Tyson didn't study with Sagan, and I'm not clear that they ever even worked together. I can sort of see how you're getting "protege" from their relationship -- Sagan clearly had an interest in the young Tyson, and Tyson met him as a teen when he was still sorting out his direction in life -- yet I think the word connotes a much closer relationship than that.
Yeah, I hesitated to use that word for just that reason. But Wikipedia quotes Tyson as calling Sagan a mentor, and the counterpart of that is a protege, so I went with it.

Forbin wrote: View Post
Also, appropos of absolutely nothing, I have a picture of the Pleiades on my car. It's a Subaru.
Yup. Subaru is the Japanese name for the Pleiades. The company is called that because it was the merger of seven smaller companies (seven "stars").

Years ago, in one of his science essays, Isaac Asimov mentioned a mnemonic device to remember the order of the stellar categories:

"Oh, Be A Fine Girl/Guy, Kiss Me!"
And Annie Jump Cannon was the one who invented that mnemonic! (Although it was just "Girl" at the time.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 06:31 AM   #628
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

I love our Sun.

Ooh, I wasn't even thinking about Mars. You wouldn't happen to remember the name of that book, would you?
The Life and Death of Planet Earth
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 08:35 AM   #629
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Thank you, sir.
Old April 29 2014, 03:01 PM   #630
Forbin
Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Also, appropos of absolutely nothing, I have a picture of the Pleiades on my car. It's a Subaru.
Yup. Subaru is the Japanese name for the Pleiades. The company is called that because it was the merger of seven smaller companies (seven "stars").
Ah! I knew the first half of that, but not the last. Interesting.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote