Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate The Wolverine
Excellent 17 20.99%
Above Average 37 45.68%
Average 25 30.86%
Below Average 2 2.47%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 29 2013, 05:21 PM   #76
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Re: THE WOLVERINE - Reviews and Discussion Thread

I am going to check out Origns again. I am usually very forgiving for movies other fans hate but not with that. I am willing to give another try.

The big problem I had with that was the Weapon X sequences. That should have been a very dramatic moment. Yet it seemed to have very little compared to the flashbacks in X2.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 07:51 PM   #77
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I personally would've liked some nod to Origins.
There was, you hear Logan reacting to Kayla at one point, I don't remember precisely when. Some time when Logan is not fully conscious.

And I still don't get how the bone claws themselves are not a nod to Origins, or his service in WWII.
Old July 29 2013, 08:18 PM   #78
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I saw it twice so if you could narrow down which moment you mean. Every time he went unconscious we got a Jean moment. The only time he was knocked out that didn't happen was during the Black Ninja Clan rooftop harpooning of him. He blacks out, fade to black, open up on him being in Lady Viper's chair.

The bone claws are too subtle if you want to count those.
Kayla seen talking to Logan, at least once, would've been clear.
Some line of dialogue when he's cutting the fallen tree down to size, perfect opportunity for a lumberjack reference.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 11:05 PM   #79
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Well, it was a lot better than the first film. Jackman was good and the two actresses playing Yukio and Mariko were really good as well. The movie did themselves proud with those too female characters. I wish Yukio would stick around for DOFP. Strong action and I liked how they adapted the opening sequence from the original Wolverine mini-series.

I thought that it got nonsensical and incoherent as it went along though, especially at the end. The villain presence in this film was really lacking and they just weren't any good. Some characters I really didn't understand, like the archer guy.

Still, that scene a minute into the credits more than made up for things.

Last edited by DarthPipes; July 30 2013 at 03:31 PM.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 11:08 PM   #80
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

3) Part of the film's deflation in the third act is an unfortunate effect resulting from its plot structure. What makes the film unique among the others in its franchise is the plot device of taking away Logan's indestructibility. However, once this is resolved midway through the film, the factor which really made the film interesting and made Logan's battles more difficult is no longer in play[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Wolverine wasn't going to get killed but once he got his healing factor back, it kind of takes the suspense out of things.

Last edited by DarthPipes; July 30 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old July 30 2013, 03:42 AM   #81
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Titanic's frontal-boobs scene with Kate Winslet would've been R in any universe, and it would be today, but James Cameron is special and can achieve whatever rating he want,
Cameron hardly had that sort of weight back in 1997. Especially when Titanic had gone radically over budget, was backed by two competing studios and was a huge, huge gamble that no one expected to pull off what it did.

Kate's nudity didn't warrant the R rating not because of the politics of the MPAA (which are messed up) but because of the context they were shown in. They were shown in an artistic context and not for titillation. If she had shown her boobs in a sex scene the movie would have been rated R. But it was an "art" scene so they could be shown. You can even show breasts on broadcast TV in the right (though narrow) contexts. As what happens when Roots is shown on TV, an episode of the TV series "Chicago Hope" had shown the results of a woman's breast reconstruction surgery and the various incarnations of CSI have shown topless female corpses in autopsy scenes.

Never the less, the MPAA and the ratings system in America can be a bit messed up when it comes to sex and violence (the former being a taboo the latter being okay) and in showing preferences depending on the producers/director of the movie.
Old July 30 2013, 02:35 PM   #82
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

The MPAA is screwed up big-time on swearing. The King's Speech was practically a PG-rated film but was given an R rating because of one scene where the main character drops an F-bomb constantly. They refused to look at the context of the scene and just slapped the movie with an R-rating, which was absolutely ridiculous. That was a movie you easily could have taken kids to see. It was ridiculous.

Cameron definitely didn't have the stroke back in 1997 that he does now. He had been widely ridiculed for Titanic being so overbudget. The consensus was that the film would bomb or at least not do very well when it came out.
Old July 30 2013, 04:48 PM   #83
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Well, the instance of the F-Word has also been an MPAA thing for quite some time. Take the great comedy movie of "Plains, Trains and Automobiles" a good, funny, movie starring Steve Martin and John Candy. It's rated R. Not because it was trying to be a twenty-first century raunchy sex comedy in the 1980s but because of one scene in the movie where Martin gives an F-Bomb laden rant at a rental-car counter.

PG-13 movies are allowed one use of the F-Word and even then if it's used in a non-sexual context.

These little "rules" are certainly odd ones but it's what it is because parents don't want their 13-year-old kids to go see a movie and have their ears melt from hearing the F-word twice.

TV has a similar oddity when comes to censorship, see an infamous bit with George Carlin talking about the problems of saying "piss" on broadcast TV. Like movies and the F-word you CAN say "piss" on TV. But you can't say it in the context of the bodily function/fluid.
Old July 30 2013, 05:30 PM   #84
Zaku
Commander

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Well, the instance of the F-Word has also been an MPAA thing for quite some time.
And don't forget Bully!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bully_(...m)#MPAA_rating
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 09:46 PM   #85
Relayer1
Commodore

The first two thirds of the film were comfortably in the above average/excellent category. The script, plot, casting, acting, cinematography and whatever else, were all truly top notch.

The last part of the film just fell apart after Logan was captured.

Very sad...
Old July 31 2013, 02:21 PM   #86
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Infern0 wrote: View Post

Also stay for the post credits scene, it's got some familiar faces and sets up the next X men movie
I think I'll go see this tonight
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 03:09 PM   #87
T'Baio
Admiral

I thought the movie was terrible. Other than the few scenes they took directly from the Miller/Claremont mini series, the script was incredibly weak and ham handed. The final act was Origins level embarrassing.

I just can't figure it out...one of the most beloved storylines of one of the most beloved characters in the last 30 years. In a comic book, which is practically a storyboard. What's so difficult? Why change it so much?

Why, when Wolverine is told that they want to suck out his healing ability, does Wolverine say "you can't change me, you can't change what they did to me?" Umm..."they" had nothing to do with his healing ability.

I see lots of reviews that say this is the closest we've gotten in movies to the comic book Wolverine. With the exception of the intro scene with the bear, this movie was NOTHING like the Wolverine of the Claremont/Miller mini series.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 05:03 PM   #88
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
I just can't figure it out...one of the most beloved storylines of one of the most beloved characters in the last 30 years. In a comic book, which is practically a storyboard. What's so difficult? Why change it so much?
Ask the people who made Galactus a giant gas cloud. I'm sure they have the answer.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 05:23 PM   #89
Worfmonger
Commander

I voted Average.

What I liked: Great fight choreography; nice character work from Jackman, Tao Okamoto, and Rila Fukushima; good pacing; nice to see some resolution with Jean, or at least Logan's internal demons manifesting as Jean.

What I didn't like: Pretty much everything else. So much stuff happening without explanation, such a cardboard cutout female villain, so many times I said to myself "Ok, why the hell is that happening?"... and the big bad at the end was spontaneously predictable and disappointing. Really, it's a testament to the three leads that they were able to elevate it from a waste of time into a pretty decent movie through acting chops and chemistry alone.

Oh, and I now have a thing for Tao Okamoto; Sweet Flying Zombie Jesus but that woman is lovely!
And threw every piece into a fire.
Worfmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 05:26 PM   #90
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Worfmonger wrote: View Post
I voted Average.

What I liked: Great fight choreography; nice character work from Jackman, Tao Okamoto, and Rila Fukushima; good pacing; nice to see some resolution with Jean, or at least Logan's internal demons manifesting as Jean.

What I didn't like: Pretty much everything else. So much stuff happening without explanation, such a cardboard cutout female villain, so many times I said to myself "Ok, why the hell is that happening?"... and the big bad at the end was spontaneously predictable and disappointing. Really, it's a testament to the three leads that they were able to elevate it from a waste of time into a pretty decent movie through acting chops and chemistry alone.

Oh, and I now have a thing for Tao Okamoto; Sweet Flying Zombie Jesus but that woman is lovely!
Rila's hotter.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote