Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 3 2013, 01:28 AM   #1471
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Last time I checked, nobody got Han Solo and Indiana Jones mixed up.
Funny you should mention that. Earlier today I caught myself wondering for a split second if Indiana Jones would be in Star Wars Episode VII.

And what's more, I'm pretty sure that nobody who sees Ender's Game this weekend is going to think that it's a sequel to Blade Runner.
Saw Attack of the Clones last night and that car chase on Coruscant looked like something out of Blade Runner.

Back to Jaimie Alexander as Wonder Woman... I've liked the idea for years. Looks like the idea came to a lot of people. It's the hair I tell ya.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 01:59 AM   #1472
Christopher
Writer

Seriously, what exactly is the issue here? Why do we think that audience's heads will explode if (gasp!) they see the same actor playing two different characters in the same genre? Maybe I'm showing my age here, but isn't that how movies--and acting--have always worked?
Buster Crabbe played Tarzan, Flash Gordon, and Buck Rogers. He even played Buck between the second and third Flash serials.

Or maybe Mystique is just a big Jennifer Lawrence fan?
In the 1960s? I thought Destiny was the one with precognition.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 02:06 AM   #1473
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Seriously, what exactly is the issue here? Why do we think that audience's heads will explode if (gasp!) they see the same actor playing two different characters in the same genre? Maybe I'm showing my age here, but isn't that how movies--and acting--have always worked?
Buster Crabbe played Tarzan, Flash Gordon, and Buck Rogers. He even played Buck between the second and third Flash serials.
Yep. And as I've mentioned too many times before, Tom Tyler played both Captain Marvel and the Phantom in the original movie serials. And Lon Chaney Jr. played the Wolfman, the Mummy, Dracula, and the Frankenstein Monster back in the day.

Hell, more recently Christopher Lee played Saruman in THE LORD OF THE RINGS movies and Count Dooku in the STAR WARS series, not to mention Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, Sherlock Holmes, Mycroft Holmes, and Sir Henry Baskerville once upon a time.

Actors play multiple roles, sometimes in the same genre. That's what they do. I doubt that anybody ever objected to Humphrey Bogart playing Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe . . . .
Old November 3 2013, 02:42 AM   #1474
Christopher
Writer

All this is true, but it's also true that there's something of a historical rivalry between Marvel and DC, or between their fans. Although, as I said, that hasn't stopped countless people from working for both.

(I was surprised in reading Lou Scheimer: Creating the Filmation Generation the other day that Scheimer worked briefly at Hanna-Barbera before founding Filmation. Having grown up in a day when Filmation and H-B were the DC and Marvel of Saturday morning cartoons (or maybe vice-versa) -- the Big Two battling for dominance -- I found that rather shocking and hard to conceive.)

Old November 3 2013, 02:57 AM   #1475
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
All this is true, but it's also true that there's something of a historical rivalry between Marvel and DC, or between their fans. Although, as I said, that hasn't stopped countless people from working for both.
Yeah, I've always thought the "rivalry" was silly. It's not like they're sports teams or whatever. Ditto for Star Trek vs. Star Wars.

(Says the guy who has written at least eight books for Marvel and six for DC!)
Old November 3 2013, 04:07 AM   #1476
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Stan played it as a joke, but some fans took it seriously. Me, I read comics from both.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 09:02 PM   #1477
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

If you have been watching AMC Movie Talk, it seems that Thor's Jamie Alexander...has been talking to DC... and the insinuation is (they can't come out and say it, but the insinuation is definitely there) that she will be playing Wonder Woman in the Superman/ Batman debacle.
Old November 3 2013, 09:13 PM   #1478
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

And if you've been following this thread, you would have known that two days ago.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...postcount=1446
Old November 3 2013, 09:18 PM   #1479
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Yeah but this past weekend the insinuation was made even stronger as they had her on the show.
Old November 3 2013, 09:24 PM   #1480
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
If you have been watching AMC Movie Talk, it seems that Thor's Jamie Alexander...has been talking to DC... and the insinuation is (they can't come out and say it, but the insinuation is definitely there) that she will be playing Wonder Woman in the Superman/ Batman debacle.
"Debacle"? They've barely started filming.

Let's not rush to judgment here . . . ..
Old November 3 2013, 09:35 PM   #1481
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Well, it might be a good movie. There were elements of the first film that were quite good in my opinion.. and yes, I like novelizations more than most people, so I'd like to read your take on the script, but overall, Man of Steel wasn't good. It bored me with all of it's action. My buddy.. well, I felt bad for him. It look like he wanted to leave. There no ideas in the film, and little regard for what made Superman a great character. Notice that in the original films, superman wasn't so concerned with fighting Zod as he was in preventing people from being hurt.

But we will see....
Old November 3 2013, 09:58 PM   #1482
Christopher
Writer

I agree that the third act of Man of Steel was a debacle (although there was some terrific stuff in the first two, along with a number of problems), but I'm going to remain hopeful that the sequel will be better. I've seen cases where creators stumbled on the first try and then learned from their mistakes and got better. Heck, I think Batman Begins fell apart in its third act (though not as catastrophically -- in more ways than one -- as MoS), whereas The Dark Knight was almost perfect (although ...Rises stumbled again).

Granted, much of what I've heard so far about the sequel's approach to writing Batman is disheartening, but I wouldn't be a superhero fan if I didn't believe in hope.

Old November 4 2013, 06:17 PM   #1483
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

But, But, this is the Internet. It's what we do!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 06:40 PM   #1484
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post

It's less than two years before the film comes out. Anybody who doesn't already know how they're going to grade it is just waffling.
Old November 4 2013, 07:17 PM   #1485
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post

Some things are just certain. Put your hand into boiling water, you hurt yourself, jump from a highrise, you kill yourself, etc...
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote