Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 30 2013, 11:51 PM   #1426
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

davejames wrote: View Post
Kinda bummed to hear they're changing the Superman suit as well. I hope they don't make too many changes, as I really loved the one in the first movie.
I knew they would.

I say lighten up the blue and, if not the trunks, put something more substantial in the middle to break up the blue.
Old October 31 2013, 12:30 AM   #1427
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Oh, please, no, I hate the New 52 design. And for much the same reasons I don't particularly care for the MoS costume -- they're both overcomplicated. Neither strikes me as an improvement on the classic look.
I agree the New 52 version could use a little work but I think it's still a better design than what we got in the movie. And I'm not sure why people are so resistant to updating the costume when just about everything else about Superman has been updated.

I like the classic look too but I still think an update was long overdue.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 02:52 AM   #1428
Christopher
Writer

Zombie Seeker wrote: View Post
And I'm not sure why people are so resistant to updating the costume when just about everything else about Superman has been updated.
Maybe because it's the archetype -- the original superhero costume and the template for so many more.

Or maybe just because people agree with me that the recent alternatives aren't really improvements. I mean, Superman's costume is supposed to be something he can hide under his street clothes. The bright primary colors and the cape and boots are hard enough to buy in that context; all these thick armorlike textures and raised S symbols and Mandarin collars and whatnot just make it ludicrous. Maybe there is a good way to update the costume, but these aren't it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 04:34 AM   #1429
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Well if you are reading the New 52 his current outfit is an advanced piece of Kryptonian armour that essentially disappears until he needs it. I like this concept as it's in keeping with the advanced scientific culture of Krypton and is a little more advanced than simply wearing long johns under your clothes.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 05:44 AM   #1430
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

the suit from Man of Steel was fine. the New 52 suit...yeah, Superman doesn't need armor.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 06:26 AM   #1431
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

My favorite Trek movie, TWOK, has what are arguably the worst costumes of the series, as well as numerous other problems. Having unsatisfactory costumes doesn't necessarily hurt a picture. I'd rather they got the costumes wrong and other, more important, things right, such as story, character, acting, and pacing, than get the costumes right enough and the things that really matter horribly wrong (cf. Green Lantern).
Old October 31 2013, 07:04 AM   #1432
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Again, I don't see why the trunks are any more out of step with modern fashions than the cape or the whole damn tights thing in general. None of it is in step with what people wear today. But all of it, as a piece, is the iconic look of Superman. I don't get singling out that one part of it.
The cape will never go out of style for heroes in Superman's vein - it evokes nobility, knights and shining armor. It's the opposite of Edna Mode's argument. And the boots, well... practicality, good for fighting, "working man" look. It's why Stargirl's footwear makes so much sense. The trunks... just don't look good anymore. I think there's more of a "uniform" look these days - sports uniforms, that is.

Maybe because it's the archetype -- the original superhero costume and the template for so many more.
True, but it's been... what, 70 years? We're talking modern mythology here, and aren't you all about updating and reinventing to be relevant?
Old October 31 2013, 02:38 PM   #1433
Christopher
Writer

^As I said, I'm not intrinsically against updating, but that doesn't mean I consider every given update to be an improvement. An update can be good or bad; quality can only be assessed case by case, not by category.

Maybe it's because I'm fashion-illiterate, but I just don't see why the trunks are so much more objectionable than any other part of the costume. To me they're just part of Superman's look. Maybe it's just that the "underwear on the outside" joke became a pervasive meme and convinced people to fixate on the trunks as a symbol of comic-book hokiness. If the pundits and wags had chosen to make a running joke out of the cape or the color scheme instead, then that's what would be getting phased out today. Fashion is more about conformity to group opinion than any objective standard of aesthetics or practicality.

Old October 31 2013, 03:41 PM   #1434
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Gaith wrote: View Post
Zombie Seeker wrote: View Post
Do you honestly believe anyone would think that in a big American superhero blockbuster that there would be two major metropolitan cities facing off in a game of soccer?
In fairness, that would be pretty cool.

#americanfootballsucks
Except that the stadium would only be a quarter to a half full and all the players would be taking dives, faking ankle injuries...
Old October 31 2013, 04:51 PM   #1435
davejames
Vice Admiral

Closed Caption wrote: View Post
My favorite Trek movie, TWOK, has what are arguably the worst costumes of the series, as well as numerous other problems. Having unsatisfactory costumes doesn't necessarily hurt a picture. I'd rather they got the costumes wrong and other, more important, things right, such as story, character, acting, and pacing, than get the costumes right enough and the things that really matter horribly wrong (cf. Green Lantern).
Yeah I have to admit those uniforms are looking awfully dated now (although still a big improvement over the drab TMP uniforms).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 05:15 PM   #1436
Christopher
Writer

The TMP uniforms are actually a lot more practical and believable as real clothing. Add a bit more color and I think they'd work great. And while the colors are understated, they're not really as drab as people think. The problem is that the process used to transfer film to video in the '80s washed out the colors, so a generation grew up seeing a blander version of the film than the one that debuted in theaters in 1979. Also, even on the Director's Edition with the colors restored to their original vividness, the bridge scenes still have more subdued colors due to the dim lighting that was used to ensure that the filmstrips in the "monitors" would be visible. You can tell that Spock's uniform, for instance, looks gray on the bridge but blue-gray everywhere else.

Old October 31 2013, 05:47 PM   #1437
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I liked the uniforms introduced in TWOK but they do seem more like dress uniforms than something you could wear comfortably while on duty.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 12:35 AM   #1438
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Well, how about if they update the one-piece suit with a red design element where the trunks used to be to hint at the original outfit?
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 12:39 AM   #1439
Christopher
Writer

Crimelord_Insidious wrote: View Post
Well, how about if they update the one-piece suit with a red design element where the trunks used to be to hint at the original outfit?
Potentially, depending on how it's done. Some "design elements" work better than others -- cf. the rather bizarre New 52 redesign of Supergirl's costume.

Old November 1 2013, 12:49 AM   #1440
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Yeah, I was reminded of Supergirl's new outfit. Now there's a redesign I like. Actually, I don't like the red patch that's supposed to be reminiscent of the red trunks but the rest is good.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote