Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 2 2013, 07:34 PM   #1111
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Green Lantern was a weird movie for several reasons. I don't think the director, Martin Campbell, understood the tone that was needed for that kind of movie. I think he understands James Bond, but Green Lantern is another matter.

Tonally, the movie was all over the place. Plus, you had Ryan Reynolds, who despite his best intentions was miscast. The movie tried to be at times a serious comic-book movie, a space opera, with some light-hearted humor, and it just didn't work. Campbell and his writers needed to find a tone and stick with it. It didn't help that it tried to be serious, but then had really dumb scenes where Hal Jordan tries to activate the suit and show off to his friend.

The writing could have been a lot better, too. It had some good moments (the Hal Jordan/Carol Ferris dynamic was good, and Reynolds does try with the dramatic stuff) but the handling of the villains was really cliche and over-the-top. It doesn't help that Peter Sarsgaard delivers a completely over-the-top performance, and I think that's hugely as a result of the tone that's completely all over the place. When the film opens, and we have bad CGI, voice-over narration and weird aliens, I thought the movie was going to embrace the nuttiness of the premise, but then it tried to blend in half-baked drama, and it just didn't work.

With comic-book movies, you have to fully commit to your world (tone and all). That's why Christopher Nolan went with a realistic approach to his Batman movies. Regardless of anything, they are tonally consistent. The person above me mentioned Guardians of the Galaxy, and that's a good example of staying true to the premise, tone and reality of the world you are existing in. It seems like James Gunn is going all out, which you have to do if you're going to do a kind of movie like that. Batman is of course much easier to adapt than Green Lantern or Guardians of the Galaxy, but that's why understanding the tone is that much more paramount.
Old September 2 2013, 07:44 PM   #1112
Agent Richard07
Admiral

They were trying to emulate the success of Iron Man but it didn't work.

Iron Man 3 was all over the place tonally but it was held together by Robert Downey Jr's charm. He was the consistent factor.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 07:49 PM   #1113
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Hmmm, I thought IM3 was tonally pretty consistent. I thought it was IM2 that didn't know what tone to adapt. Not even RDJ could save it for me.
Old September 2 2013, 07:51 PM   #1114
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Iron Man 3 just had erratic pacing. I felt it was tonally consistent, but it worked more as a comedy than a superhero film.
Old September 2 2013, 07:55 PM   #1115
DWF
Vice Admiral

The Green Lantern movie was written by a comic book writer and it showed, Martin Campbell is a fine director had the movie been a success there'd be no end to the praise for the movie. Personally I didn't find the Nolan Batman trilogy to be all that great, The Dark Knight felt like two different stories put together. But the movies made money so Nolan was given Man Of Steel and in the end it was a Nolan movie.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 07:55 PM   #1116
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Iron Man 3 mixed it up quite a bit with drama, comedy, super heroics, buddy cop stuff, propaganda films complete with grainy footage, Christmas-y stuff with the kid, etc, and it did so quite well thanks to Downey Jr. tying it all together.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 08:29 PM   #1117
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Iron Man 3 mixed it up quite a bit with drama, comedy, super heroics, buddy cop stuff, propaganda films complete with grainy footage, Christmas-y stuff with the kid, etc, and it did so quite well thanks to Downey Jr. tying it all together.
Yeah, I agree it tried to mix all that together, but I don't think it mixed it as well as you say. To each their own, of course. Downey Jr. was great, though.
Old September 2 2013, 08:37 PM   #1118
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I'm bemused that GOTG is being held up as something to emulate since all we have seen are a few clips - it could be an absolute stinker.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 08:41 PM   #1119
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I'm bemused that GOTG is being held up as something to emulate since all we have seen are a few clips - it could be an absolute stinker.
Possibly. Then again, everything I've seen from the production so far has been promising, but I get what you're saying. I have more faith in James Gunn than anything.
Old September 3 2013, 04:21 AM   #1120
davejames
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Tonally, the movie was all over the place. Plus, you had Ryan Reynolds, who despite his best intentions was miscast. The movie tried to be at times a serious comic-book movie, a space opera, with some light-hearted humor, and it just didn't work. Campbell and his writers needed to find a tone and stick with it. It didn't help that it tried to be serious, but then had really dumb scenes where Hal Jordan tries to activate the suit and show off to his friend.
I thought the movie melded those different tones perfectly well myself. The goofing around by Reynolds early on might have been a bit too silly, but I didn't think it detracted that much from the movie (at least not any more than RDJ's antics in the Iron Man movies).

For me the main problem was just the lack of epic scope and the ham-handed way they dealt with Hal's character. Overall though, I still found it a fairly fun and engaging superhero movie (at least on a par with the fun but uneven first X-Men), and was kinda looking forward to a sequel.

(Although I realize I'm in the distinct minority here on that one. Lol)
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 04:31 AM   #1121
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
The Green Lantern movie was written by a comic book writer and it showed, Martin Campbell is a fine director had the movie been a success there'd be no end to the praise for the movie. Personally I didn't find the Nolan Batman trilogy to be all that great, The Dark Knight felt like two different stories put together. But the movies made money so Nolan was given Man Of Steel and in the end it was a Nolan movie.
The writers have written comics, but they were experienced writers who had written for TV and films as well.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 04:33 AM   #1122
Christopher
Writer

My view is that the Green Lantern movie is a pretty decent superhero movie, and if it had come out maybe 7-10 years earlier it would've been considered pretty good; it just had the misfortune of coming out in a summer dominated by three really terrific superhero movies, so it paled in comparison.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 12:30 PM   #1123
Mr Light
Admiral

My big problem was that the villain was a giant yellow turd cloud...

Also, that somehow Hal was more powerful than a dozen experienced GLs put together...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 12:36 PM   #1124
Dream
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
My big problem was that the villain was a giant yellow turd cloud...

Also, that somehow Hal was more powerful than a dozen experienced GLs put together...
Did they learn nothing from giant cloud Galactis in the Fantastic Four sequel?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 02:10 PM   #1125
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

davejames wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I thought the movie melded those different tones perfectly well myself. The goofing around by Reynolds early on might have been a bit too silly, but I didn't think it detracted that much from the movie (at least not any more than RDJ's antics in the Iron Man movies).

For me the main problem was just the lack of epic scope and the ham-handed way they dealt with Hal's character. Overall though, I still found it a fairly fun and engaging superhero movie (at least on a par with the fun but uneven first X-Men), and was kinda looking forward to a sequel.

(Although I realize I'm in the distinct minority here on that one. Lol)
But not a minority of one. I found it entertaining and a lot closer to the GL I grew up with than I ever expected a movie version to portray. Not the best of superhero movies, but certainly not the disaster some would have us believe.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote