Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 28 2013, 08:02 PM   #1021
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I think that kind of horserace stuff is ultimately just as irrelevant to movies as it is to political campaigns. It's stuff that journalists talk about so they'll have something to talk about. Once the movie comes out, few people will remember the hoopla that happened at this early stage. They'll judge it by the actual content, not by the "buzz" way back in the summer of 2013.
I'm inclined to agree. Seriously, has there EVER been a high-profile comic-book flick where there hasn't been some sort of on-line tempest or controversy along the way?
Off the top of my head:

Michael Keaton as Batman. Too much a comedy actor, too small, too balding etc.

Val Kilmer as Batman: too blond.

Stallone as Dredd: took off helmet.

Ian McKellen as Magneto: too gay (seriously, at the time some fans were up in arms about this)

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine: too tall, too young, Australian rather than Canadian, not muscly enough, Logan can't be played by a song and dance guy. Probably gay too.

The X-Men's black leather outfits. Damn Internet nearly exploded.

Anna Paquin as Rogue. Too young. Accent wrong.

Halle Berry as Storm. Should've been Angela Bassett.

Spider-man's organic webshooters and Green Goblin's Power Rangers outfit and mask.

Daredevil being played by Ben Affleck (him again). Daredevil's leather outfit. Jennifer Garner not being Greek. Colin Farrell being Irish. Michael Clarke Duncan being black.

Topher Grace not being muscly enough to play Venom. Changing the symbiote story.

Ras Al Ghul being Japanese instead of Arabic. Wait, he's actually Irish? WTF? Even worse. Scarecrow being a young good-looking guy instead of a tall skinny middle aged man. Christian Bale's speech impediment.

Jessica Alba as Sue Storm. Too Latina. Pretty much everything about FF except Evans and Chiklis. Somewhat justified in this case.

Halle Berry as Catwoman. Apparently the film was crap, not due to bad writing, directing or SFX, but because she was black. That and her costume.

Superman Returns' costume.

Heath Ledger as Joker. Internet nearly exploded again.

Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut. Kelsey Grammer as Beast.

Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man. Internet explodes again.

Tom Hardy as Bane - too small and not muscular enough. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. Not sexy enough, apparently.

Ben Kingsley as Mandarin. Insufficiently Chinese (wait till they see the damn movie).

Chris Hemsworth as Thor. Idris Elba as Heimdal. Tom Hiddleston as Loki.

Chris Evans as Captain America - why, he's already been The Human Torch!

The Eric Bana-Ed Norton-Mark Ruffalo saga. The Terrence Howard-Don Cheadle saga.

Michael Shannon as Zod. Insufficiently famous or British. Man of Steel costume.

Karl Urban as Dredd. Chin too small.

Jamie Foxx as Electro. Looks too much like Mr Freeze.

David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman. Where do I start?

I'm sure I've missed plenty. Any advances?

Last edited by Captaindemotion; August 28 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 08:10 PM   #1022
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post

Halle Berry as Catwoman. Apparently the film was crap, not due to bad writing, directing or SFX, but because she was black. That and her costume.
No, the movie was crap due to all of those other things.
Jamie Foxx as Elektra.
The real question here is, "Will Foxx be a better Elektra than Jennifer Garner?"
Old August 28 2013, 08:27 PM   #1023
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^D'oh! Must fix it!
Old August 28 2013, 08:32 PM   #1024
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
Well like I said, I'm only considering the perspective of the studio execs and marketing people here, who probably pay very close attention to every little detail (and every bad word said) about their upcoming summer blockbusters.

They undoubtedly want this movie to be a huge, billion dollar hit along the lines of Avengers, and anything that could possibly put that at risk or jeopardize it is probably going to make them a bit nervous-- at least for the time being.
Except that they do pay attention to every reaction, not just the cross-section that we sci-fi/comics nerds get in our bubble. That's a really small fraction of the total audience, so it doesn't loom remotely as large in the studios' considerations as it does in your or my experience as a fan trawling the Internet. Outside of the geek bubble, Ben Affleck is a highly regarded actor-writer-director, and I imagine a lot of people are bewildered at the intensity of the fan reactions, because Daredevil does not define Affleck for them.

And just in general, people who pay attention to all the hype must be used to the ridiculous overreactions that always come from a certain segment of the fan community, so they'd know better than to worry about it. You're talking as though this is something new or unprecedented. It isn't. It's the same thing we've seen time after time after time, and there's no reason it should be any more of a concern now than it was then.

If studios were paranoid enough to overreact to fan rage, then they would've replaced Heath Ledger as the Joker and we would've been cheated out of one of the great performances in film history (although maybe Ledger wouldn't have died then, so, hmm). Fan rage is routinely wrong. Sometimes it's right, but then, if you guess "tails" every single time a coin is flipped, you'll end up right about half the time. Statistically speaking, there is no reason to trust fan rage as a reliable predictor of anything. It's just a reflex action.

I think maybe the only bit of comics-movie casting that every fan immediately loved was Patrick Stewart as Professor X. Heck, everyone who was a fan of both Star Trek and the X-Men had believed all along that he would be perfect for the role. A friend of mine in college nominated him for Professor X back in the late '80s. Diane Duane wrote an X-Men novel where Xavier talked like Captain Picard years before Stewart was actually cast in the role.

Even so, there were probably people who went "WTF? Since when was Professor X English?!!!!"

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 08:53 PM   #1025
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Is anyone else getting the feeling that maybe Warner Bros. was expecting a very different reaction to Affleck's casting, given his recent successes?
I'm sure they were expecting some whining from the comic book fans (who complain about almost every casting announcement), but the level of criticism and ridicule for this has seemingly gone far beyond that, and made it almost a national joke.

Frankly I'd be very surprised if the studio execs weren't seriously nervous right now at the impact this might have on the box office, and concerned that they might have accidentally thrown cold water on all the buzz and excitement that had been building for this movie beforehand.
Honestly, I think we've already moved on to the backlash against the "uproar." Even USA TODAY ran a satirical piece today mocking the over-reaction to Affleck's casting:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...atman/2705911/
Old August 28 2013, 08:56 PM   #1026
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Very funny. I especially liked his mock-twitter usernames.
Old August 29 2013, 08:02 AM   #1027
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

He's sure his old friend will do a great job of playing the caped crusader. "He's not playing King Lear," Damon told the Times of India. "Batman just sits there with his cowl over his head and whispers in a kinda gruff voice at people."
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013...t-damon-batman
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 03:29 PM   #1028
Dream
Admiral

Justin Timberlake wants to play The Riddler
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 03:45 PM   #1029
superdeluxe
Captain

http://www.michiganfilmoffice.org/Th....aspx?id=12540

So does this give us any clues in the direction that WB/affleck/goyer/Snyder is taking this movie/franchise

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 04:22 PM   #1030
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

superdeluxe wrote: View Post
http://www.michiganfilmoffice.org/Th....aspx?id=12540

So does this give us any clues in the direction that WB/affleck/goyer/Snyder is taking this movie/franchise
As a Michigander, I think this is great news The new Transformers movie is doing a lot of filming in Michigan as well, but the Transformers movies aren't very good.....
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 04:43 PM   #1031
davejames
Vice Admiral

With all the CG work that will be in the movie, it probably doesn't matter much where they film it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 04:50 PM   #1032
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Detroit. Alot of abandoned and crumbling buildings.

Say hello to the new Gotham City filming location
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 04:56 PM   #1033
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Detroit. Alot of abandoned and crumbling buildings.

Say hello to the new Gotham City filming location
That's what I was thinking. Should look pretty cool on screen.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 06:31 PM   #1034
superdeluxe
Captain

Plus the Chrysler building in downtown detroit could be wayne industries.

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 07:23 PM   #1035
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Nah. All publicity is good publicity. This has simply heightened awareness of the film and the plans to team Batman and Superman up.

There were similar responses to Keaton,
The outcry against Keaton, mostly in the form of newspaper and magazine articles (no 'net back then), was pretty strong. I recall screwing up my face when I got the news in what was then a low tech WTF icon. I said Keaton didn't "fit" the role. He was a stand up comic, a very good stand up comic, and a good comedic actor -- but Batman...NO.

What many of us didn't know back then was how great an actor he was. Really good actors can do a number of different types of acting, comedy, drama, melodrama. Keaton, to this day, is by far my favorite Batman actor.

As Matt Damon stated in those quotes fiurther upthread, the Batman role doesn't require much acting, (although a good actor could have dne more with the role than Bale did), so Affleck needs to really keep from bumping into suff on set. If he can do this, he at least shouldn't be any worse than the previous Batman actor.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote