Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 28 2013, 04:40 PM   #1006
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

I don't think that they should reboot the Marvel movie universe any time soon...it was annoying enough when it happened so quickly with spider-man. I think that they should just continue on, and people would come to accept the new actors, like they have with Bond.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:42 PM   #1007
Christopher
Writer

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has already recast James Rhodes, Bruce Banner, Howard Stark, and Fandral. I think it's safe to say they will recast other roles as the need arises.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:53 PM   #1008
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

It's too bad that Marvel can't mix the Spider-man character into their movie universe . It seems like Spider-man could fit pretty with The Avengers.
Old August 28 2013, 04:59 PM   #1009
Dream
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
The Marvel Cinematic Universe has already recast James Rhodes, Bruce Banner, Howard Stark, and Fandral. I think it's safe to say they will recast other roles as the need arises.
I think of recasts like being a new artist drawing a character in a comic to look differently!

Chrono85 wrote: View Post
It's too bad that Marvel can't mix the Spider-man character into their movie universe . It seems like Spider-man could fit pretty with The Avengers.
Let's not get started on that! We will be here all day.

A consequence of Marvel Studios not owning Spider-man and X-men rights, is that it has made them focus on the lesser known superheroes to great success.
Old August 28 2013, 05:23 PM   #1010
davejames
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Is anyone else getting the feeling that maybe Warner Bros. was expecting a very different reaction to Affleck's casting, given his recent successes?
I'm sure they were expecting some whining from the comic book fans (who complain about almost every casting announcement), but the level of criticism and ridicule for this has seemingly gone far beyond that, and made it almost a national joke.

Frankly I'd be very surprised if the studio execs weren't seriously nervous right now at the impact this might have on the box office, and concerned that they might have accidentally thrown cold water on all the buzz and excitement that had been building for this movie beforehand.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:39 PM   #1011
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Nah. All publicity is good publicity. This has simply heightened awareness of the film and the plans to team Batman and Superman up.

There were similar responses to Keaton, Ledger (as the Joker) and Craig as Bond. Even if Affleck does suck as Batman, people will still go and see it. The amount of actual boycotts will be negligible.
Old August 28 2013, 05:53 PM   #1012
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
I'm sure they were expecting some whining from the comic book fans (who complain about almost every casting announcement), but the level of criticism and ridicule for this has seemingly gone far beyond that, and made it almost a national joke.
No, it's no worse than the usual overreactions we've seen many times before. It may have gotten a bit more wide attention because Affleck's name is so well-known. But the nation has already moved on to obsessing about that Miley Cyrus person, apparently. And next week something else will be a national joke. The nation, at least the part of it that posts on the Internet and/or cares about celebrity news, has a short attention span. Whereas filmmaking takes years, so an uproar like this is just a minor -- and by now entirely expected -- blip along the way.

Old August 28 2013, 06:04 PM   #1013
davejames
Vice Admiral

Maybe, but I can't help but think the general audience is going to be a bit less enthused to see the movie now that they know Affleck is playing Batman. Obviously we know Snyder will craft some amazing, kickass trailers that will get people excited again, but until then I suspect the buzz is going to be a much lower level than it would have been if it were Cavill vs Bale.
Old August 28 2013, 06:12 PM   #1014
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

I really doubt that the general audience is going to care which actor is playing Batman, especially since it is really a Superman movie, and Batman will likely just be a secondary character . The only people that might care, are the knowledgeable comic book fans, and they are a small minority of the overall movie goers .
Old August 28 2013, 06:17 PM   #1015
Christopher
Writer

I think that kind of horserace stuff is ultimately just as irrelevant to movies as it is to political campaigns. It's stuff that journalists talk about so they'll have something to talk about. Once the movie comes out, few people will remember the hoopla that happened at this early stage. They'll judge it by the actual content, not by the "buzz" way back in the summer of 2013.

Old August 28 2013, 06:24 PM   #1016
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Maybe, but I can't help but think the general audience is going to be a bit less enthused to see the movie now that they know Affleck is playing Batman. Obviously we know Snyder will craft some amazing, kickass trailers that will get people excited again, but until then I suspect the buzz is going to be a much lower level than it would have been if it were Cavill vs Bale.
The general audience, who enjoyed The Town, Argo and will probably enjoy Affleck's latest, The Runner, are a great deal less exercised by his casting than are the fanboisie for whom his name is a sort of reverse-catnip. As Christopher said, this will have been long forgotten by the time we see any footage from the film or even a still of Ben in costume.
Old August 28 2013, 07:09 PM   #1017
Christopher
Writer

^"Fanboisie"? I love it.

Old August 28 2013, 07:30 PM   #1018
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Credit where credit is due, I 'borrowed' that one from
My Name is Legion!
Old August 28 2013, 07:35 PM   #1019
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I think that kind of horserace stuff is ultimately just as irrelevant to movies as it is to political campaigns. It's stuff that journalists talk about so they'll have something to talk about. Once the movie comes out, few people will remember the hoopla that happened at this early stage. They'll judge it by the actual content, not by the "buzz" way back in the summer of 2013.
I'm inclined to agree. Seriously, has there EVER been a high-profile comic-book flick where there hasn't been some sort of on-line tempest or controversy along the way? Remember all the hoopla about Spidey's organic web-shooters and how that was absolutely, positively going to doom the movie?

If I was producing a big-budget comic-book adaptation, I would just take it for granted that the internet was going to be in an uproar at some point, figure that came with the territory, and do my best to tune most it out . . . .

If the movie is good, nobody is going to care. If it flops, everybody will say "I told you so!"
Old August 28 2013, 07:49 PM   #1020
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well like I said, I'm only considering the perspective of the studio execs and marketing people here, who probably pay very close attention to every little detail (and every bad word said) about their upcoming summer blockbusters.

They undoubtedly want this movie to be a huge, billion dollar hit along the lines of Avengers, and anything that could possibly put that at risk or jeopardize it is probably going to make them a bit nervous-- at least for the time being.