Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 28 2013, 04:24 AM   #991
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

As to the casting there's only so much to be said. In the end, for lots of people it's about who they want to have sex with or who they want to grow up to be. These are touchy topics.

That said, I don't know why Bruce Wayne would need to be on screen.

If there's a script, that's the primary origin of the movie. Man of Steel had some pretty basic flaws, but it gave us an interesting Lois Lane we could believe an alien would also be interested in. If the sequel manages to repeat that, it won't be a complete disaster.

And that said, we do know that any fight between Superman and Batman is doomed to have no significant cause and even less significant effect. Heroes duking it out is so common precisely because it doesn't matter. This is not a good starting point.
Old August 28 2013, 05:42 AM   #992
Dream
Admiral

Christopher Nolan Reportedly Leaves Batman Vs. Superman Over Ben Affleck Casting?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:44 AM   #993
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Is anyone else getting the feeling that maybe Warner Bros. was expecting a very different reaction to Affleck's casting, given his recent successes?
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:09 AM   #994
Aragorn
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Some people were also upset about Ed Norton being replaced by Mark Ruffalo--which clearly had a huge impact on THE AVENGERS.
There were quite a few boos at the convention where The Avengers assembled when Ruffalo was announced.

But let's be honest here, they could've cast Pee Wee Herman as Banner and the box office would've been the same.

Not a real story. That's some hack trying to connect two unrelated events.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:21 AM   #995
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

superdeluxe wrote: View Post
Actor Matt Damon chimes in on his good friend Ben Affleck's decision to play Batman in the Man of Steel sequel, stating, "I think it will be great. It will be terrific. I know there are a lot of people grousing on the internet. I just think it's kind of funny." He continued, "You know, he's not playing King Lear. It's Batman! Certainly within his skill set. If anybody saw Argo or The Town, and all the work he's been doing lately, it's way more nuanced and interesting and way more difficult than Batman! Batman just sits there with his cowl over his head and whispers in a kinda gruff voice at people. Bruce Wayne is the more challenging part of the role, and Ben will be great at that."
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=86071

This will not sit well with Batman fans.
That's awesome. Well spoken, Mat Damon.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Some people were also upset about Ed Norton being replaced by Mark Ruffalo--which clearly had a huge impact on THE AVENGERS.
I was mostly upset because I thought Norton's performance in The Incredible Hulk was very good and in the vein of Bixby's performance, and I wanted to see more of it in The Avengers. I even agree with what he said about the film and his creative input, just not the way he acted afterwards. Alas.

In retrospect, ironically, I wish Mark Ruffalo was in The Incredible Hulk.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:22 AM   #996
Dream
Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
There were quite a few boos at the convention where The Avengers assembled when Ruffalo was announced.
Poor Ruffalo!

Ben Affleck better not show his face at Comic Con for the next few years!
Old August 28 2013, 06:23 AM   #997
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Not a real story. That's some hack trying to connect two unrelated events.
Makes sense. Wasn't it already reported a long time ago that Nolan would have next to no involvement in the Man of Steel sequel? Even before Batman's presence in it was announced?
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:39 AM   #998
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Is anyone else getting the feeling that maybe Warner Bros. was expecting a very different reaction to Affleck's casting, given his recent successes?
Internet blowhards were *always* going to shit the bed, don't confuse that with the reaction of normal people.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 03:33 PM   #999
Agent Richard07
Retired

I wasn't happy about Ruffalo because I don't like recasting in general. He was great in The Avengers and I agree with Emh about wishing he was the original choice in place of Norton, but that's beside the point.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 03:57 PM   #1000
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

Yeah, I find that recast roles are very jarring to me as a viewer. The only exceptions are Doctor Who, and a recast where the actor is playing a much older or younger version of the character, like Obi-Wan Kenobi from the Star Wars prequels. I just hop that they do not recast someone like Tony Stark....
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:11 PM   #1001
Dream
Admiral

Chrono85 wrote: View Post
I just hop that they do not recast someone like Tony Stark....
That will happen when RDJ eventually decides to stop playing Stark. They'll also recast the entire Iron Man supporting cast along with him.
Old August 28 2013, 04:20 PM   #1002
Christopher
Writer

Comic-book characters are "recast" every time a new artist or writer takes over the series. It's the nature of such long-running characters that they get changed and reinterpreted.

And Ruffalo was definitely better than Norton, and tons better than Bana.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:24 PM   #1003
Dream
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Comic-book characters are "recast" every time a new artist or writer takes over the series. It's the nature of such long-running characters that they get changed and reinterpreted.

And Ruffalo was definitely better than Norton, and tons better than Bana.
RDJ might be the first actor to play a live action Tony Stark, doing a great job, but he won't be the last. I believe he will play the character until Avengers 3 and a new actor will be chosen to continue as Stark. There will be no reboot.

We have had multiple actors play Batman.
Old August 28 2013, 04:33 PM   #1004
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

But will the new Iron Man be playing within the same continuity, or would it be a reboot of the franchise? I can't see them rebooting the franchise anytime soon, since they seem to introduce just about every major Marvel character .
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:37 PM   #1005
Agent Richard07
Retired

I don't mind recasting when it comes to remakes but I don't like it when it happens within a series. For example, I don't mind that different actors played James Bond over the decades but I don't like that Saavik got recast.

As for a future Marvel turnover, I probably won't mind if everyone gets recast and it feels like a fresh start even if it's the same continuity. I wasn't bothered by Stargate getting that sort of turnover when it went to series.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote