Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 26 2013, 05:47 PM   #916
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's also a non sequitor. Just because Affleck was good in one movie doesn't mean he's good in ALL movies or that he fits the idea of a character with 60-70 years of history and iconism to him.

Ben Afleck may have grown to be a good actor, I don't know I've not seen him in anything recent, but that doesn't mean he'd instantly be a good Batman.
The flip to this of course is that you'd think he had been cast to play Adolf Eichmann in a brutal reconstruction of his life than was to be filmed entirely in German rather than being asked to play a white rich american who dresses up in a rubber bat gimp suit.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:02 PM   #917
superdeluxe
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
superdeluxe wrote: View Post
We are looking at Affleck taking the baton from Nolan in this regards.
Taking the Bat-on? Heh.

The idea of him playing a directorial/creative role is encouraging, but it's hard to see how he could manage to oversee multiple films behind the camera and play one of the lead roles on-camera as well. He'd pretty much have to give up sleep altogether. Although that could be seen as a good way to become more like Batman...

Well he has done it successfully for his last 2 films, not sure how directing himself really works though

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:03 PM   #918
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

I think that Affleck is a fine actor, and he has the right look that most would associate with Bruce Wayne. I am glad that they seem to be going for a new continuity for this version of Batman, rather than a continuation of the Nolan trilogy. I never liked the hyper-realistic portray all that much, even if the movies were entertaining. I'd much rather have a Batman universe in which people like Clayface and Mr. Freeze can exist, just not the super-cheesy Batman & Robin Mr. Freeze. Marvel is doing a good job with the new Spider-Man films, in striking a balance between a more believable portrayal of he characters, but still retaining its inherent scifi elements.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:15 PM   #919
Christopher
Writer

superdeluxe wrote: View Post
The idea of him playing a directorial/creative role is encouraging, but it's hard to see how he could manage to oversee multiple films behind the camera and play one of the lead roles on-camera as well. He'd pretty much have to give up sleep altogether. Although that could be seen as a good way to become more like Batman...

Well he has done it successfully for his last 2 films, not sure how directing himself really works though
But that's different from being the "showrunner" for an entire multi-movie franchise and having supervisory input not only into your own films but into other people's as well. Imagine if Joss Whedon were not only supervising the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe but playing Tony Stark at the same time.

As for actors directing themselves in general, it helps that there are assistant directors. The director will be the one deciding how the scene will play out, but the assistant will presumably handle the mechanics of whatever has to be done behind the camera while the director/star is in front of it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:52 PM   #920
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I'm not disputing that Man of Steel was most likely a disappointment, but Cracked does not do the rigorous fact-checking that you believe they do. Plenty of their articles have huge glaring errors and the one you linked to is no exception. Not only does the writer forget that Hollywood lies about profits for accounting reasons, but he also tried to linearly extrapolate a graph based on 2 data points. That Fantastic Four graph is hilarious.
My favorite was the article that claimed that, had only Pvt. Hudson or anyone else seen Old Rose drop the necklace from the boat, they could easily have found and retrieved it. Uh, due to water currents, the impact of such a small object burrowing into sands all on its own, and other sands sweeping over it due to said water currents... no; it'd still be gone forever.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 07:19 PM   #921
davejames
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ I think he meant Bale, not Keaton (maybe that was a typo on your part too).

It seemed pretty apparent to me that his voice had some sort of modulation in TDK but I don't think he had it in either of the other movies; definitely not BB anyway.
Yeah, Bale's voice in TDK and TDKR definitely sounded electronically altered to me; of course he was doing the growl himself, but it was further enhanced to sound deeper.
I think they'll almost have to electronically alter Affleck's voice as well. Because it's just way too high and light for Batman, and I can't see him being able to deepen it much on his own.

Unless he starts smoking 20 packs a day before now and then or something.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 07:56 PM   #922
Christopher
Writer

Nobody said Batman has to be a baritone or a bass. That's just what we're used to. If Bruce Wayne were a tenor, that wouldn't have led to him going, "I must become a champion of justice to avenge my parents murder -- oh, but wait, my voice isn't deep enough, so I guess I'll just endow a charity for crime victims instead." Batman is originally a comic-book character. He has no specific, defined voice, and could sound like anything.

Indeed, there have been multiple comics storylines in which Dick Grayson has replaced Bruce Wayne as Batman and few people have been able to tell the difference -- even though Batman is usually cast as a baritone and Robin as a tenor. Screen versions are interpretations, and they can be reinterpreted.

Besides, lots of screen tough guys have had relatively high voices, such as Clint Eastwood or Lee Majors. So Batman shouldn't need a basso growl in order to come off as tough and menacing.

Old August 26 2013, 08:02 PM   #923
Aldo
Admiral

And lets not forget, Clooney didn't make an effort to disguise his voice at all
Old August 26 2013, 08:05 PM   #924
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

I did not really like the heave-smoker, scratchy sound of the Batman voice in the Nolan movies. It made my eyes water, and was hard to listen to I did enjoy the movies, but I always thought that part was actually kind of cheesy.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 08:16 PM   #925
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
Nolan wanted Wes Bentley (not Affleck) To Play BATMAN in MOS2

Bentley certainly has the look. It would have been interesting...
I just wonder if the "inner turmoil, repressed rage behind the smile", is something Nolan wanted in his Batman Begins star.

Hard to believe that this is what he wanted for BB yet settled for Christian Bale who has none of this. But I do also believe that after Batman and Robin the Batman role was no longer coveted (among A list actors) like it was when Tim Burton started looking for his star. So maybe Bale was as good as it got back then.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 08:17 PM   #926
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

So the Wes Bentley dude lost out on both Batman and Spider-man? Tough break.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 10:11 PM   #927
davejames
Vice Admiral

Nobody said Batman has to be a baritone or a bass. That's just what we're used to. If Bruce Wayne were a tenor, that wouldn't have led to him going, "I must become a champion of justice to avenge my parents murder -- oh, but wait, my voice isn't deep enough, so I guess I'll just endow a charity for crime victims instead." Batman is originally a comic-book character. He has no specific, defined voice, and could sound like anything.

Indeed, there have been multiple comics storylines in which Dick Grayson has replaced Bruce Wayne as Batman and few people have been able to tell the difference -- even though Batman is usually cast as a baritone and Robin as a tenor. Screen versions are interpretations, and they can be reinterpreted.

Besides, lots of screen tough guys have had relatively high voices, such as Clint Eastwood or Lee Majors. So Batman shouldn't need a basso growl in order to come off as tough and menacing.
I'm all for new interpretations, and am not asking for a Batman voice as deep and low as the one used in BTAS or in the new CG cartoon (which I frankly find to be a little too deep). But I still think the character requires something at least as deep as Keaton or Clooney's Batman voice, if we're ever going to take him seriously as a threat or equal to Cavill's Superman.

Affleck's voice can't even get down that low.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 11:02 PM   #928
Christopher
Writer

^Again, why does it have to be exclusively about depth? There have been tenor action heroes, as I said. Not to mention really tough people in real life with tenor voices, like Muhammad Ali. Whether Batman is a tenor, baritone, or bass has nothing to do with whether he sounds appropriately strong or intimidating. It can be done with the right style of performance.

Here's a suggestion: Watch the New Batman Adventures episodes featuring Nightwing. Loren Lester is a tenor, but he used a lower, rougher, more serious delivery as Nightwing than he had when playing Robin in B:TAS.

Old August 26 2013, 11:08 PM   #929
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

It's been a long time since the one time I saw the film...how was his Daredevil voice?
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 11:23 PM   #930
Aldo
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
. But I still think the character requires something at least as deep as Keaton or Clooney's Batman voice,

Clooney didn't have a Batman voice, he just spoke normally when in costume.