Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 24 2013, 02:38 AM   #796
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
thumbtack wrote: View Post
In declaring the fanboys "consistently and always wrong", they cite Heath Ledger, Daniel Craig, and the Star Trek reboot.
Ledger was good. Craig is too ugly and unrefined for Bond, though he nails the physicality. And the Star Trek reboot was crap.
If financial success denotes high quality, Brittainy Spears is the pinnacle of musical achievement.
Craig's performance as Bond is based on the literary character not the previously established movie roles. Craig knows how Bond was written and plays that rather than trying to rip of Roger Moore as Brosnan did. Dalton took the same approach in the eighties, and License to Kill was a good film--but it wasn't the Bond people wanted.

Ledger was good, but his performance was not worth dying over...and the movie itself was a let down.

And I agree with you that people need to stop equating financial success with quality. I was never a Michael Jackson fan, but I get angry when people equate somebody like Spears with him. Jackson was an artistic and financial genius, even if he completely messed up his personal life.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:39 AM   #797
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Star Trek is as close to TOS as it gets. The real TOS from the 60s, not the nostalgic fantasy TOS from some fans' memories.
NuTrek is unlike TOS at all, other than "in name only."

Even the TOS "tribute"/flashback episodes of DS9 & Enterprise captured TOS more than anything in NuTrek--and it was more than TOS trappings.
Old August 24 2013, 02:45 AM   #798
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Star Trek is as close to TOS as it gets. The real TOS from the 60s, not the nostalgic fantasy TOS from some fans' memories.

Even the TOS "tribute"/flashback episodes of DS9 & Enterprise captured TOS more than anything in NuTrek--and it was more than TOS trappings.
Been watching the shows and films and reading the books since the 60s. In this beholders eyes it is. While I enjoyed the flashbacks in DS9 and ENT they didn't quite capture the feel I got from TOS in the 60s and 70s.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:45 AM   #799
Dr.H
Lieutenant

Man of Steel wasn't realistic, it was more 'grounded' and 'serious' then the previous films, but not 'realistic.' This means within the more grounded and serious universe of Man of Steel which has a world that at least on some level resembles our own it eschews the more hokier, lighthearted elements of some of the comics and the previous flicks. It was a more modernized version of the character that placed importance on humanizing the him and giving the viewer a window into his psyche in order to make the character resonate with the viewer. Steel does this by giving you a glimpse of the introspective crisis of alienation so this way you can put yourself into the character's shoes and feel for him. To paraphrase what Nolan said in regards to the tone of his Bat-flicks it's ''relatable'' but not realistic---Man of Steel is no different.

If you folks want something that is close to a ''realistic'' Superman go check out Superman Secret Identity.
Dr.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:46 AM   #800
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Chuck Finley wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Ok, I have no idea how acurate a site cosmicbooknews.com is, but I figured I'd post this article anyway.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...trong-sinestro

Even if this isn't true, and thats very possible, its an interesting idea that I'd never considered. I've never seen Breaking Bad (I only really know Cranston from malcom in the Middle and various cameos on shows like Seinfeld), but I think bald Bryan cranston could look like Luthor (if you got rid of the goatee and glasses from the pics I've seen of him bald in breaking bad) plus he's always seemed like a decent actor.
If this is true, I think Cranston would be exellent as Luthor, but I'm not really sure I want the same older Luthor. Every Luthor in the movies has been older and while I think Cranston would be absolutely perfect, especially after Breaking Bad, but I don't know what I want in Luthor this time. I certainly don't want a Luthor that comes up with real estate schemes. I do want to see Luthor in the power suit though. I know this would never happen, but I'd love to see Rosenboum as Luthor again. But, yeah, Cranston would negate my feelings against Afleck for sure.
I want a Luthor who is not the main villain, who may be a foil of some sort who is set up for the following movie, but we have had way too much Luthor in the movies already. Time for something new: Brainiac, Darkseid, a few Rogues...
Old August 24 2013, 02:49 AM   #801
theenglish
Rear Admiral

DS9 was the series that most closely captured the spirit of the original series when it wanted to.

Both nu Trek stories could have been set up by adolescent fan boys playing a Trek RPG in their basement.
Old August 24 2013, 02:51 AM   #802
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

I mean, what's next, Indiana Jones finds Bigfoot
Well, after the plot of #4, Indiana Jones is starting to become Indiana the Night Stalker...

Anikan Skywalker's Ghost fights Darth Maul's Ghost in Episode 7?
Unfortunately, that is exactly the kind of material a studio would place before cameras as it caters to the worst of SW fanwank geekdom (IOW, "ooh! lightsaber fights!").
Old August 24 2013, 04:14 AM   #803
Dream
Admiral

First picture from this movie released

Old August 24 2013, 06:26 AM   #804
Chuck Finley
Commander

theenglish wrote: View Post

DS9 was the series that most closely captured the spirit of the original series when it wanted to.

Both nu Trek stories could have been set up by adolescent fan boys playing a Trek RPG in their basement.
I mean, what's next, Indiana Jones finds Bigfoot
Well, after the plot of #4, Indiana Jones is starting to become Indiana the Night Stalker...

Anikan Skywalker's Ghost fights Darth Maul's Ghost in Episode 7?
Unfortunately, that is exactly the kind of material a studio would place before cameras as it caters to the worst of SW fanwank geekdom (IOW, "ooh! lightsaber fights!").
Yeah, I know, that's why I chose that as an example of a horrible movie. Studio execs often take the wrong message from successful movies. As it was pointed out, maybe by you, that looking at RDJ, as the prime example of why an older superhero works. They believe audiences think, "cool, a charismatic character who's portrayed by a charismatic actor". Yes, that is part of it, but as we've seen, Marvel takes care to be involved with how the character is written. They try to stick to the basic characteristics of Tony Stark. Yes, it may not be a direct correlation from comic book to screen, but they obviously do care what fans think and not just the general audience. Maybe their bottom line is money, but could they make the same money by shiting on the character? Maybe they could, but also you are starting to have inside men that are our age and grew up with this shit as well, so in a weird way, we have representatives within the business, much like we did with Serenity.
Chuck Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 07:06 AM   #805
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Joss Whedon tweets support for Ben Affleck as Batman

Affleck'll crush it. He's got the chops, he's got the chin -- just needs the material. Affleck & Cavill toe to toe -- I'm in.
Old August 24 2013, 07:17 AM   #806
Chuck Finley
Commander

I'm reminded of this song.

Chuck Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 08:56 AM   #807
Jax
Admiral

Now will Damon play Robin...

Oh Guess Not
Old August 24 2013, 09:06 AM   #808
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

theenglish wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Ok, I have no idea how acurate a site cosmicbooknews.com is, but I figured I'd post this article anyway.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...trong-sinestro

Even if this isn't true, and thats very possible, its an interesting idea that I'd never considered. I've never seen Breaking Bad (I only really know Cranston from malcom in the Middle and various cameos on shows like Seinfeld), but I think bald Bryan cranston could look like Luthor (if you got rid of the goatee and glasses from the pics I've seen of him bald in breaking bad) plus he's always seemed like a decent actor.
If this is true, I think Cranston would be exellent as Luthor, but I'm not really sure I want the same older Luthor. Every Luthor in the movies has been older and while I think Cranston would be absolutely perfect, especially after Breaking Bad, but I don't know what I want in Luthor this time. I certainly don't want a Luthor that comes up with real estate schemes. I do want to see Luthor in the power suit though. I know this would never happen, but I'd love to see Rosenboum as Luthor again. But, yeah, Cranston would negate my feelings against Afleck for sure.
I want a Luthor who is not the main villain, who may be a foil of some sort who is set up for the following movie, but we have had way too much Luthor in the movies already. Time for something new: Brainiac, Darkseid, a few Rogues...
If true, I think Cranston would make a very good Lex Luthor. Plus, he's worked with Affleck before (Argo), so hopefully that'll assure the slightly-better-acting Affleck will show up for this film (considering Affleck was fairly good in that film).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 09:15 AM   #809
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I'd prefer to see Cranston as Jim Gordon.
Old August 24 2013, 12:36 PM   #810
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote:
(IOW, "ooh! lightsaber fights!").
You have a problem with seeing lightsaber fights in Star Wars?

I assume you have the same problem with seeing swordfights in jidai-geki films?

How about phasers in Star Trek?