Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 20 2013, 11:41 PM   #61
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Why not? Superman was made to look pretty bad in MoS.
Superman in MoS is like Kirk and co. in Trek '09--inexperienced and finding his way. I was not expecting him to be the master of the situation. I expected what I got--someone who is facing a crisis beyond anything in his imagination. Of course he's going to rely on the help and direction of others who have more knowledge of such things. As Kirk said to Saavik once, "we learn by doing". I expect his experience with killing Zod is what bars him from killing again. I expect his experience with facing a military-style threat will get him to bear down and study (off-camera--no need to see this happen before the next film). I expect he will reflect on what he did and seek to do a better job next time. What I did not expect, given it is an origin and introduction story, was a fully realized Superman who hits all the "right beats" from the get go. That would have been boring.

The same applies to Kirk and Co. in the Abrams films. I don't expect the fully actualized, confident Kirk of TOS.

Oops. Just realized I was in the Superman/Batman thread. On topic: As I very much enjoyed both MoS and the Dark Knight trilogy, I feel reasonably confident about this project.

YMMV
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 11:49 PM   #62
SG-17
Commodore

Well I loved Man of Steel and I loved the Superman/Batman animated films, so I am very much looking forward to this film.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 11:53 PM   #63
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Casting for Batman should be announced pretty soon given the schedule they're looking at for this film. Cavill and Armie Hammer are due to shoot Man from UNCLE in the fall. I wonder if we'll see the two of them move straight on to Superman/Batman thereafter.
Old July 20 2013, 11:59 PM   #64
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Considering we're just coming off of a complete Batman trilogy, it's the right approach. Keep things moving, don't clutter things up by doing unnecessary set-up films.
Yeah, the more this sinks in, the more it makes sense. Doing yet another Batman movie so soon didn't feel right and maybe they saw that too. This is a good strategy. I do hope though that people here are right and that this really is a Man of Steel sequel that just happens to incorporate Batman. I want to see this version of Superman explored a little more and not get sidelined too much by a World's Finest/Justice League story.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 12:27 AM   #65
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

As much as I'd like to see it happen, the Nolan-verse isn't going to be continued as part of a wider live-action DCU. As per Emma Thomas:
Whilst our Dark Knight trilogy is complete, we have every confidence that Zack’s fresh interpretation will take the character in a new and exciting direction.
Regarding whether or not this is a Man of Steel sequel that just so happens to involve Batman, the feeling I've gotten from the various reports I've read is that such is indeed the case.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 12:32 AM   #66
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Snyder referred to it as a Superman sequel at the Comic-Con panel.
Old July 21 2013, 12:42 AM   #67
Gojira
Commodore

I feel a bit mixed about this. While I would love to see a Superman & Batman movie, I would have liked at least one more solo Superman movie before they teamed him up with Batman.

But I am open to it. Can't wait to see who they ast as Batman.
Old July 21 2013, 12:48 AM   #68
marksound
Fleet Captain

If they do this, I hope they will consider my favorite Batman actor, Kevin Porter.

marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 12:53 AM   #69
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
They won't.
Old July 21 2013, 12:55 AM   #70
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Press release says Cavill, Adams, Lane and Fishburne are confirmed to return and that a new Batman will be cast. Here's the logo they showed at Comic-Con.
Interesting. Will they be using the Nolan Batman continuity, with a new actor, or set up something else? Seems strange to jump in with a new continuity for Batman without setting it up in its own story, but at the same time the Nolanverse really doesn't have room for a magic flying alien.
Honestly, I don't think they really need a new movie to set up a new Batman. At this point, most of the world knows the basics: Wayne Manor, Alfred, Bat-Cave, dead parents, etc.

If, in the new movie, Superman visits Gotham City and a mysterious stranger in a bat-suit emerges from the shadows, I doubt if anyone in the audience is going to wonder, "Hey, who is this Batman dude? What's his story?"
Old July 21 2013, 12:57 AM   #71
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Caretaker wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I would love it if the film featured the John Blake Batman and was thus a sequel to both The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel.
So would I. Even if that were to happen, would general audiences ever buy someone other than Bruce Wayne as Batman? Which is why I don't think I'll ever see a live-action Batman Beyond film.
Although TDKR sets up a hypothetical Batman Beyond movie pretty well, with Blake in the McGinnis role...
Old July 21 2013, 01:03 AM   #72
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

This is a terrible idea. I may be in the minority, but this doesn't encourage me at all. Batman coming on the scene before Superman is a fully actualized character bodes ill for the movie. It screams more CGI action and limited character development. If Batman is cast wrong, even worse.

This idea needed to come after the MOS sequel. Superman could really be overshadowed by the Batman character. I don't trust the MOS writers to balance anything in terms of story. It screams "gimmick!" Then again, I've never been someone clamoring for a justice league movie. It's all just a little too precious.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 01:07 AM   #73
marksound
Fleet Captain

^^^
They won't.
I know, and that's too bad. He's a really good Batman.

marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 01:10 AM   #74
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Caretaker wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I would love it if the film featured the John Blake Batman and was thus a sequel to both The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel.
So would I. Even if that were to happen, would general audiences ever buy someone other than Bruce Wayne as Batman? Which is why I don't think I'll ever see a live-action Batman Beyond film.
Although TDKR sets up a hypothetical Batman Beyond movie pretty well, with Blake in the McGinnis role...
Honestly, if we're finally getting a Superman/Batman movie, I think it needs to be Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne. That's what people are going to want to see.

There's a reason that STAR TREK: GENERATIONS didn't feature the long-awaited meeting between Captains Picard and Sulu!
Old July 21 2013, 01:10 AM   #75
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Press release says Cavill, Adams, Lane and Fishburne are confirmed to return and that a new Batman will be cast. Here's the logo they showed at Comic-Con.
Interesting. Will they be using the Nolan Batman continuity, with a new actor, or set up something else? Seems strange to jump in with a new continuity for Batman without setting it up in its own story, but at the same time the Nolanverse really doesn't have room for a magic flying alien.
Honestly, I don't think they really need a new movie to set up a new Batman. At this point, most of the world knows the basics: Wayne Manor, Alfred, Bat-Cave, dead parents, etc.

If, in the new movie, Superman visits Gotham City and a mysterious stranger in a bat-suit emerges from the shadows, I doubt if anyone in the audience is going to wonder, "Hey, who is this Batman dude? What's his story?"
Exactly. If Snyder, Goyer, Nolan, ect; feel the need to put their own stamp on Batman's origins for this new continuity, they can holdout for the eventual solo movie. It wouldn't well serve the pacing of a team-up movie to diverge away from the movie's main story for however long it takes to give the audience information that it essentially already knows.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; July 21 2013 at 01:52 AM.
Turtletrekker is online now   Reply With Quote