Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 20 2013, 10:40 PM   #46
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I would love it if the film featured the John Blake Batman and was thus a sequel to both The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel.
So would I. Even if that were to happen, would general audiences ever buy someone other than Bruce Wayne as Batman? Which is why I don't think I'll ever see a live-action Batman Beyond film.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 10:40 PM   #47
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
The whole premise of MOS was that this was a gritty, realistic world before Superman showed up. There was no room for Superman in the Batman stories that Nolan told, but now that they've been told, the alien has arrived and the world has changed.

You could just as easily say that there was no room for Thor and an alien invasion in Iron Man's universe...but it happened.
Yeah, you can have an escalation of superhero elements within the Nolanverse, but they'll probably introduce a new Batman and establish that Man of Steel isn't in the same universe as Nolan's Batman trilogy as that would give them the freedom to do whatever they want with future Batman movies in terms of the Joker and so forth.
Old July 20 2013, 10:41 PM   #48
Christopher
Writer

Right...Superman didn't single-handedly destroy the world engine over the Indian Ocean...
He did, but he was following Jor-El's instructions while the rest of the team was in Metropolis attacking Zod's command ship. They were the ones who actually defeated everyone but Zod.

he didn't stop Zod...
He did, but only after the primary threat had been defeated by the heroism of Hardy and Hamilton. And he let Zod define the terms of how the fight would end, rather than thinking for himself and finding a better way.

he didn't provide the ship that the military used to take care of Zod's ship...
Technically Jor-El provided the ship. Superman just delivered it, following Jor-El's instructions as relayed to him and the military by Lois. If a scientist develops a cure for a dread disease and delivers it to the hospital by courier, that doesn't mean the courier deserves credit for curing the disease.

nor did he provide the key with the AI of Jor-El, who's been dead for 33 years.
Again, just making a delivery as per Jor-El's instructions.

And yeah, Jor-El was technically dead, which just makes it all the more ridiculous that he was more proactive in shaping the events of the story than Superman was.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 10:44 PM   #49
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^Way to minimalize the fact that the entire story revolved around Superman and the things that he brought to the table...just because they didn't portray Superman as some master planner who didn't need anyone getting in his way on his first outing....

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Yeah, you can have an escalation of superhero elements within the Nolanverse, but they'll probably introduce a new Batman and establish that Man of Steel isn't in the same universe as Nolan's Batman trilogy as that would give them the freedom to do whatever they want with future Batman movies in terms of the Joker and so forth.
They shouldn't touch the Joker so soon, and there's no need to, if they're not doing another Batman series.

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
That bit does not encourage me.
Nor me...I don't want to see a fanwankish Batman beats Superman scenario onscreen...I want to see them work together.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 10:50 PM   #50
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^They shouldn't touch the Joker so soon, and there's no need to, if they're not doing another Batman series.
There'll likely be new Batman solo movies that spin out of this and Justice League. The prospect of a free hand with the Joker and other Batman elements down the line may lead them to establish that this is a new non-Nolanverse Batman. 2018 or 2019 may well be the earliest we'd see a new solo Batman movie.

Nor me...I don't want to see a fanwankish Batman beats Superman scenario onscreen...I want to see them work together.
My guess is they'll have the relationship start out antagonistic and then have them become allies by the end of the movie.
Old July 20 2013, 10:51 PM   #51
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Caretaker wrote: View Post
I would love it if the film featured the John Blake Batman and was thus a sequel to both The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel.
So would I. Even if that were to happen, would general audiences ever buy someone other than Bruce Wayne as Batman? Which is why I don't think I'll ever see a live-action Batman Beyond film.
I'd like to think audiences could accept a non-Bruce Wayne Batman. Heck, the most recent film showed Bruce Wayne handing off the mask to someone else.

On the other hand, Warners almost certainly wants Bruce Wayne in a Superman/Batman film because 1) this is the first time such a film has happened and 2) Bruce Wayne is who everyone on the street knows.

I'll be very curious if Warners tries to get Bale back (and for how much), even if it's just for a one-off film.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 10:53 PM   #52
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I'll be very curious if Warners tries to get Bale back (and for how much), even if it's just for a one-off film.
They've probably already tried and he passed.
Old July 20 2013, 10:55 PM   #53
Aragorn
Admiral

Llama wrote: View Post
I'd rather have MoS2 first, then Superman/Batman introducing a new Batman. I feel the new Superman needs to really establish himself first before we get a Worlds Finest team-up
It is MoS2, just with Batman.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 10:55 PM   #54
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Yeah guys, let's have a John Blake film! Then he can horrifically die in the first 17 minutes, as we discover that an inexperienced police officer is actually less adept at stealthy acrobatics and the martial arts than a former member of the League of Shadows.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 10:58 PM   #55
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^Yeah, Blake could use a mentor who could teach him Batman's old tricks...somebody like...Bruce Wayne! Just because he's given up the role doesn't mean he has to sit at cafes in Europe for the rest of his life.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
My guess is they'll have the relationship start out antagonistic and then have them become allies by the end of the movie.
That's fine and how they should do it, but the Miller quote suggests something more extreme. Batman can prove he's cunning enough to be a threat to Superman, but I don't think one guy putting his boot on the other's throat would be conducive to their developing mutual respect. Such a long-awaited team-up on film should strive not to make one character look good at the expense of the other.
Old July 20 2013, 11:03 PM   #56
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

That's fine and how they should do it, but the Miller quote suggests something more extreme. Batman can prove he's cunning enough to be a threat to Superman, but I don't think one guy putting his boot on the other's throat would be conducive to their developing mutual respect. Such a long-awaited team-up on film should strive not to make one character look good at the expense of the other.
This will be a Superman movie with Batman playing a part in it rather than the other way around, so I don't think Superman will be made to look bad in it.
Old July 20 2013, 11:05 PM   #57
Christopher
Writer

^Why not? Superman was made to look pretty bad in MoS.

What I read said that they are using The Dark Knight Returns as inspiration, which is troubling, because TDKR's version of Superman was very unflattering to the character, and its version of Batman was meant to be an extreme, dystopian exaggeration. It's totally the wrong work to look to as inspiration for the first Superman-Batman meeting; it's the story of two old allies who've become rivals and come to resent what they see as each other's betrayal.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 11:10 PM   #58
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The Dark Knight Returns will probably be an inspiration to the same extent that Batman: Year One and The Long Halloween were inspirations for Batman Begins - in other words a very loose inspiration. I take it to mean that for some part of the story Superman and Batman will be antagonists and that there'll be an epic battle between them. No more than that.
Old July 20 2013, 11:12 PM   #59
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Umm... many people here know that Batman and Superman in the comics exist in the same universe and team up all of the time, right?

Anyway, this is pretty cool news but it is odd to not set-up the "new Batman" with his own movie first.
Old July 20 2013, 11:16 PM   #60
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Considering we're just coming off of a complete Batman trilogy, it's the right approach. Keep things moving, don't clutter things up by doing unnecessary set-up films. Everyone gets who the guy dressed up as a bat is supposed to be, whatever the exact continuity details.

Could I dare to hope that they do something different with the costume...something that can't stand up by itself?