USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 11 2013, 04:13 AM   #466
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Hmmm. They called Bale "Welsh". Better hope he doesn't read that.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 04:26 AM   #467
davejames
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
By contrast, Iron Man was little known outside the comics and very unproven on the big screen. And that version of Tony Stark is arguably more infused with Downey's character than the comics' incarnation. I think Bale is easily the best screen Batman to date but I don't think he is as essential to the success of the character as Downey is to that of IM.
Agreed. Bale definitely did a great job in the role, but I don't think he really drove those movies or made them work the same way Downey did with Iron Man.

What made the Nolan movies work was Nolan's commanding style and rich, complex storytelling. They weren't just a vehicle for Bale to do his thing and show off for the camera.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 05:53 AM   #468
theenglish
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
By contrast, Iron Man was little known outside the comics and very unproven on the big screen. And that version of Tony Stark is arguably more infused with Downey's character than the comics' incarnation. I think Bale is easily the best screen Batman to date but I don't think he is as essential to the success of the character as Downey is to that of IM.
Agreed. Bale definitely did a great job in the role, but I don't think he really drove those movies or made them work the same way Downey did with Iron Man.

What made the Nolan movies work was Nolan's commanding style and rich, complex storytelling. They weren't just a vehicle for Bale to do his thing and show off for the camera.
Even in the case of RDJ, I really think super-hero movies are the new James Bond or Doctor Who. As long as you have a good actor who takes over and makes the role his or her own, you can continue to make successful movies (of course the movies themselves have to be good).
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 11:10 AM   #469
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post

That's the big difference. Remove Downey and ALL IM films fall apart.

Batman Begins, TDK and TDKR are so well done that they don't need a specific actor to carry them.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 01:53 PM   #470
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

As regards the Orlando Bloom story, it comes from the Express stable, which automatically makes it suspect. Mind you, I do remember his name being floated about a decade or so in connection with Superman, though it was more like fan-suggestion than a serious possibility.

Though, as I recall, Wolfgang Peterson was linked with a superman-batman film about a decade ago, then went and made Troy instead, in which Bloom played Paris. Whilst promoting that movie, Peterson was supposed to have said that he'd still like to make the S/B film but would have Troy's Bloom and Eric Bana in the leads. IIRC, he wanted Bana for Batman and Bloom for Superman.
Old August 11 2013, 04:49 PM   #471
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

theenglish wrote: View Post
Even in the case of RDJ, I really think super-hero movies are the new James Bond or Doctor Who. As long as you have a good actor who takes over and makes the role his or her own, you can continue to make successful movies (of course the movies themselves have to be good).
I think that will work with some superheroes but not all. Doctor Who is a tv series. The James Bond films are made much quicker than most film series, definitely faster than superhero ones. So far most superhero actors play their parts only 3 times, maybe four.

If the pattern becomes the actors are replaced quicker I think they will not feel like they can make the character their own. James Bond and Doctor Who are largely defined by the actor playing the part. I think there is a risk with trying that with superheroes wearing masks. If they are quickly replaced the performances will become generic.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 08:22 PM   #472
JD
Admiral

Eugh. I like Bloom in the Pirates of the Carribean and Middle Earth movies, but I could not see him as Batman at all.
Old August 11 2013, 11:52 PM   #473
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Can't wait to see it.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 12:45 AM   #474
Gojira
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
Eugh. I like Bloom in the Pirates of the Carribean and Middle Earth movies, but I could not see him as Batman at all.
He's too skinny.
Old August 12 2013, 03:01 AM   #475
davejames
Vice Admiral

I don't know why, but I really like the idea of Joe Manganiello. I know he doesn't have the star power Warners is probably looking for, but physically he just looks like the perfect guy to go up against Cavill's Superman.

He's tall and massive, and would probably be pretty damn intimidating in a Batman costume. Seeing those two square off would be really cool, I think.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 03:27 AM   #476
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
He's too skinny.
So was Christopher Reeve when he was first cast as Superman. Actors bulk up for roles all the time.

Not that I can really see Bloom as Batman . . ..
Old August 12 2013, 03:35 AM   #477
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

He's too skinny.

So was Bale who went to dangerous weight territory after "The Machinist"

But then he bounced back and became too fat for the Batman begins suit
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 03:56 AM   #478
Skywalker
Admiral

Bloom actually got pretty ripped for his role in Kingdom of Heaven (though you can only tell if you watch the Director's Cut), but even then I don't think he looked like he had the right kind of frame for Batman.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 06:21 AM   #479
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

If Matt Bomer isn't cast as Batman it will be a grave injustice.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 11:11 AM   #480
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
He's too skinny.
So was Christopher Reeve when he was first cast as Superman. Actors bulk up for roles all the time.

Not that I can really see Bloom as Batman . . ..
I never thought that Reeve bulked up for Superman. He looks just like an average man in tights.

Last edited by JarodRussell; August 12 2013 at 12:00 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote