TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 24 2013, 09:21 PM   #376
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Of course, the director forgot that this family was even there in all subsequent shots of that bus terminal. The family wasn't important. We don't even see a reaction or a thank you from them. The family was a plot contrivance.
Because the focus at the end was on Superman's grief, as it should have been. It was a hugely important moment, and to cut away from that to the family would have just been weird and distracting.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 09:44 PM   #377
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Of course, the director forgot that this family was even there in all subsequent shots of that bus terminal. The family wasn't important. We don't even see a reaction or a thank you from them. The family was a plot contrivance.
Because the focus at the end was on Superman's grief, as it should have been. It was a hugely important moment, and to cut away from that to the family would have just been weird and distracting.
Wah, wah. Poor Superman, he had to kill a guy who was participating in the slaughter of thousands and thousands in Metropolis... (Superman being the OTHER participant) My heart bleeds.

They hadn't bothered with any sort of emotional moment from Supes in the entire movie, why did they start then?

Bah. Horrible movie.
Old July 24 2013, 10:35 PM   #378
Cartoonist
Captain

KGator wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Let's assume this is true and does happen - how do you do such a film?
To be honest I would prefer to see an ensemble Justice League movie than just Batman and Superman. I'm not saying the movie will be bad but that would have excited me more. What I liked about Avengers wasn't just when my favorite heroes were on the screens but seeing the lot of them interact and advance in the plot.
That's coming too.

I'm glad to see Superman and Batman team up (or face off) first. First of all, unlike Marvel, which has several properties that define them (FF, Spiderman, X-Men, Iron Man) the first things people think of when they think of DC are Superman and Batman. They're the big two, and the two of them encountering each other deserves an entire film. Also, I would argue that the two of them coming together (because they'll face something that neither of them can handle on his own) is probably what's going to inspire them to create the League, so it has to happen first. They're the foundation of the JL.

As an aside: they'd been teaming up in the comics since 1941, long before the Justice League was ever formed (they were only honorary members of the Justice Society, since DC policy didn't allow them to be real members until later on... Justice Society was meant as a vehicle for characters who didn't star in their own books).
Cartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 10:58 PM   #379
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

My comment was more about Filmmaking 101. If something is in a scene, it shouldn't disappear when it goes to a wide shot and all subsequent shots.

Also, the family was important enough for Superman to break someone's neck to save them, but not important enough that we don't see them ever again?
Old July 24 2013, 11:00 PM   #380
davejames
Vice Admiral

Cartoonist wrote: View Post
They're the big two, and the two of them encountering each other deserves an entire film.
Agreed. As much as I'd love to finally see Flash or WW on the big screen, Batman and Superman finally meeting is just too huge an event to be relegated to a few minutes (or a minor subplot) in a Justice League movie.
Old July 24 2013, 11:12 PM   #381
davejames
Vice Admiral

Also, the family was important enough for Superman to break someone's neck to save them, but not important enough that we don't see them ever again?
I don't really see why we needed to. We didn't know anything about them; they were just some random civilians who were supposed to be representative of humanity as a whole-- who all would have been killed the same way if Zod got his way.

In fact I kinda like that the big showdown involved not the hero's girlfriend or love interest like in most superhero movies, but just some everyday people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old July 25 2013, 12:26 AM   #382
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Cartoonist wrote: View Post
As an aside: they'd been teaming up in the comics since 1941, long before the Justice League was ever formed (they were only honorary members of the Justice Society, since DC policy didn't allow them to be real members until later on... Justice Society was meant as a vehicle for characters who didn't star in their own books).
Actually, their first-ever meeting in any medium was on Superman's radio show in 1945, and they were also co-featured as fill-ins for absent JSA members in a 1947 All-Star Comics. They didn't team together in the comics as a duo until a 1952 issue of Superman, and didn't start teaming in World's Finest Comics until 1954...prior to that, they shared symbolic covers but were featured in separate stories. More details here.
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 02:02 AM   #383
Dream
Admiral

Supernatural's Jensen Ackles Wants To Play The New Batman
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 02:39 AM   #384
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I don't really see why we needed to. We didn't know anything about them; they were just some random civilians who were supposed to be representative of humanity as a whole-- who all would have been killed the same way if Zod got his way.

In fact I kinda like that the big showdown involved not the hero's girlfriend or love interest like in most superhero movies, but just some everyday people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
So, to put it more simply, they were a contrived plot device.

Even in Transformers, the camera follows useless extras for another shot after they are saved, for at least one shot.

I'm not arguing that Snyder should have lingered on them at all, let alone give the family members names and backstories. But at least show us they were part of the scenery, part of the continuity.

Last edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster; July 25 2013 at 03:35 AM.
Flying Spaghetti Monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 04:20 AM   #385
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Sometimes the little things mean something. MoS Superman asking the trooper that he catches if he was ok. Superman Returns Superman using heat vision to irradiate debris about to hit people on the ground as he flies by. It's a Superman 'thing' that matters. (to me)
Old July 25 2013, 06:00 AM   #386
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Supernatural's Jensen Ackles Wants To Play The New Batman
Actually, that wouldn't be a bad casting choice. Ackles has charisma in spades. It might even get me there to see it. He's 35--a good age for it. Sadly, TPTB probably don't consider him enough of a "name." Still, he ought to get on his agent's case to get him in the door to a casting director. SPN is produced by WB. Someone up the food chain has to know who he is and that he's more than a capable actor.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 04:25 PM   #387
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

I saw this again last night. To be honest, I didn't even notice they'd "disappeared" during my first viewing. This time, I watched for it to see if it was jarring--and it wasn't. By the time we get a wide-angle shot and they are not there, enough time has elapsed for them to have gotten the hell out of there (as I would have done with my family--never mind saying "thanks, strangely dressed alien guy", I'm getting me and mine away from potential harm ASAP).

Liked it even better with the second viewing. The action sequences (now that I'd seen them once before rather than simply relying on people's comments about how they were too long) did not seem too long. And the "why didn't he try to save more people" complaint seemed more hollow upon a second viewing. He's had ZERO experience with any large scale threat before Zod and company show up. A good chunk of the devastation happened while he was half a world away trying to bust up the nasty machine anyway. When Reeve's Superman encountered Stamp's Zod, he'd been "Superman" for quite some time (and Zod was a less formidable foe--fewer allies, far less tech at his disposal). Cavill's Superman is a neophyte facing a threat unlike any the world has ever seen. Of course he doesn't do everything perfectly.

As for making room for Batman in the next movie, I hope they find inspiration in the first Byrne-scripted meeting of the two back in 1986. I want to see a stand-off between a still inexperienced Superman (steadier than in Man of Steel in his role, but not too comfortable in it just yet) and a totally prepared Batman. A "fist-fight" would be dull and pointless.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 04:33 PM   #388
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

He's had experience with the Superman franchise in "Smallville" and he was even rumored to play Clark Kent

I think for Smallville though.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 12:09 AM   #389
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
He's had experience with the Superman franchise in "Smallville"
I'll try not to hold that against him.
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 02:28 AM   #390
Mr Light
Admiral

He also voiced the Red Hood in Batman: Under the Hood.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote