MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 23 2013, 11:32 AM   #346
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

In Spidey's case, I think it was more of an "Another origin movie so soon?" reaction. When I saw a movie showing the ASM trailer, I heard a woman in the audience say, "Didn't we just see that film?"
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:56 PM   #347
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Welcome to the Age of Reboots, honey.
Old July 23 2013, 06:02 PM   #348
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Total Film is recording that various combinations of Batman v Superman are being registered as domain names:

http://m.totalfilm.com/news/rumour-b...itle-confirmed
Old July 23 2013, 06:24 PM   #349
davejames
Vice Admiral

Kind of interesting that Nolan (if it's true he's producing) will have had a hand in creating two different versions of Batman.

(And yeah I know Tim Burton helped produce Batman Forever as well, but I don't think that was really meant to be a whole new Batman like they're doing here)
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 06:31 PM   #350
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Kind of interesting that Nolan (if it's true he's producing) will have had a hand in creating two different versions of Batman.

(And yeah I know Tim Burton helped produce Batman Forever as well, but I don't think that was really meant to be a whole new Batman like they're doing here)
I suppose Roddenberry basically created two different versions of Trek: TOS and TNG.

Yes, I know they're technically in the same continuity, but TNG was very much a case of rethinking and reinventing STAR TREK some twenty years later.
Old July 23 2013, 06:49 PM   #351
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Spider-Man 3 and Batman and Robin were very poor films, so the idea of a reboot was more warmly welcomed. I don't think fans will be as glad to see the back of the established order this time round.

Personally, I'm used to the idea of different Batman continuities so I'm not too bothered. Film has never been the ideal medium for superhero storytelling anyway, as it loses the long-term arc storytelling. A huge reason I'm a fan of the genre in the first place.
I recongnise I'm one of the few people who like Spider-Man 3 (and X-Men 3) but were people really clamoring for Amazing Spider-Man? I remember their being rumors about a SM4, and people didn't seem to upset that the Spider-man movies would continue, even after SM3.

I'm actually not against the concept of reboots for movies. Eventually, actors will want to move on or just get too old for the roles, or the series would just become stale. I just don't like bad reboots. I won't get into some rant, I'll just say that, with Spider-Man, I was extremely dissappointed in the Amazing Spider-Man. ASM is in no way any better than SM3, its actually significantly worse, and has a main character whose acting wouldn't be acceptable in a SyFy tv movie. I still crack up trying to see that guy "act" at being sad when uncle ben died, its simultaneously the funniest and most pathetic piece of acting i've seen in a high budget movie.

But, I actually went into that movie with an open mind. I knew I'd miss the old guys, but I was willing to see how the new guys would do. I did the same thing with batman begins. Of all the things I can (and have) complained about in superhero movies, the idea of a reboot has never bothered me. Reboots can be fine, I just wish they'd actually improve on what they're rebooting, or atleast match it in quality (assuming the thing its rebooting was good to begin with, atleast at one time) Its also preferable not to do a straight up origin movie if you've already had one that people still remember, but I can handle an origin if its done well or different enough from the one before it (in execution if not in the basic story). I'm more than fine with a Batman reboot, I actually wish it was a real, full reboot. Let someone who has never written a Batman movie write him, not the guy who helped write the last version of him. This new batman won't be a real reboot, more like a tweak to fit with Superman's universe. I'm assuming he'll be Bale's Batman, just without Bale and with a tweaked backstory so that he fits better in a world with Superman. I'd wish for more of a reboot, but they will want to make sure he's the same Batman Nolan did, so that they can bring in more money. Maybe in a decade we;ll see a real Batman reboot, but it won't be in the Superman/Batman movie.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 07:20 PM   #352
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

I read that they were using The Dark Knight Returns for inspiration, and thought it would be pretty cool if they brought back Michael Keaton as an older Batman.
Old July 23 2013, 07:23 PM   #353
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I still haven't seen ASM. Basically, I was happy with the Raimi movies despite the third's let down (and it still wasn't THAT bad) and had no desire to see a rebooted Spider-Man. Raimi loved the comics and it showed in the final product. I am sure I will watch ASM on television sometime, but preferred to spend my money elsewhere.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 07:25 PM   #354
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

For some reason I haven't been able to get myself noticeably excited about Spiderman since I was a child.
Old July 23 2013, 07:29 PM   #355
Dark Gilligan
Writer

I doubt they'll be all that different. Nolan will stick with the Batman that proved to be very profitable for WB, varying him just enough to accommodate a world with super-powerful beings in it.
Old July 23 2013, 07:36 PM   #356
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Tim Burton had almost nothing to do with Batman Forever. He had one story meeting with Schumacher and that was it. His producer credit was a mutual face-saving thing for him and the studio to help ease the transition in the franchise.
Old July 23 2013, 07:47 PM   #357
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Jax wrote: View Post
I love how Lex in that video is not cold by wearing just a suit in the Artic
Just another of the many reasons why it isn't even really necessary to acknowledge the existence of those lame Superman movies as they all fail miserably when put up against the incredibly superior Man Of Steel.
Old July 23 2013, 07:48 PM   #358
davejames
Vice Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
I still haven't seen ASM. Basically, I was happy with the Raimi movies despite the third's let down (and it still wasn't THAT bad) and had no desire to see a rebooted Spider-Man. Raimi loved the comics and it showed in the final product. I am sure I will watch ASM on television sometime, but preferred to spend my money elsewhere.
I was really excited at the idea of an edgier and more sophisticated interpretation of Spidey... but the final product ended up feeling like just a dull and generic rehash of the first Raimi movie unfortunately.

Although I did really like Garfield and Stone, so as long as the sequel has a better story (and better villains) I think it'll make up for much of the disappointment with the first movie.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 07:49 PM   #359
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It would be interesting to see retired Bale/Nolan Bruce Wayne looking at the news, watching the destruction of Metropolis by aliens. Just what the hell would he be thinking?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 07:58 PM   #360
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Probably 'Thank f*ck I never had to go up against these guys. And I hope to God Wayne Enterprises didn't have any properties there. And that we don't insure Metropolis.'