Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Takei On StarTalk
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Saldana: No Boycott
By: T'Bonz on Mar 23

TV Alert: Chris Pine
By: T'Bonz on Mar 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old July 30 2014, 10:52 PM   #3211
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Yeah, as much as I love the harder edge of MOS, I do think it's a shame that it probably also makes the movie too intense for younger kids to watch. And I imagine BvS won't be much different in that regard.

Although as you say, I probably wouldn't want my 6 year old watching the Nolan Batman films either.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 12:03 AM   #3212
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Well, there is a fair amount of Superman material available for the younger set. It's not a bad thing to keep some of it for when they're older.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 01:19 AM   #3213
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Eh, a few smashed cars are chump change compared to what happened in the last movie.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 02:25 AM   #3214
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Eh, a few smashed cars are chump change compared to what happened in the last movie.
Maybe the Chitauri from the Avengers have made it to the MOS verse. You know they only cared about blowing up cars.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 02:57 AM   #3215
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Maybe the Chitauri from the Avengers have made it to the MOS verse. You know they only cared about blowing up cars.
Heh. No one claims Whedon is in the same class as Michael Bay when it comes to blowing up stuff.
Old July 31 2014, 04:08 AM   #3216
kirk55555
Commodore

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Heh. No one claims Whedon is in the same class as Michael Bay when it comes to blowing up stuff.
Well, in the tv show Angel, Whedon did sentence all of Los Angeles to be overrun by demons with no way for civilians to escape. At the same time, he basically killed off the few people that could save them, without any real way for the remaining heroes to survive. According to wikipedia's numbers on the population of Los Angeles, that's about 4 million people dead. Sure, the later tie in comics BS'd their way out of that idiotic ending, but based strictly on what's shown on screen, he killed everyone in Los Angeles, which beats MoS's death count. It may not have been explosions, but I'm pretty sure Whedon killed off more civilians than people like Bay or Snyder have, so...he wins, I guess.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 11:23 AM   #3217
grendelsbayne
Commander

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post

Well, in the tv show Angel, Whedon did sentence all of Los Angeles to be overrun by demons with no way for civilians to escape. At the same time, he basically killed off the few people that could save them, without any real way for the remaining heroes to survive. According to wikipedia's numbers on the population of Los Angeles, that's about 4 million people dead. Sure, the later tie in comics BS'd their way out of that idiotic ending, but based strictly on what's shown on screen, he killed everyone in Los Angeles, which beats MoS's death count. It may not have been explosions, but I'm pretty sure Whedon killed off more civilians than people like Bay or Snyder have, so...he wins, I guess.
That's mainly fan-fantasy which was later 'confirmed' (and then promptly retconned) by the comics continuation. The episode itself doesn't show LA destroyed at all. It shows 1 mass of demons attacking the heroes in an alleyway, and it ends before the fight even begins (so, technically, you can't even say he killed the people who could stop it). The only serious civilian casualties I can think of on Buffy or Angel was the fight in Graduation Day where a few dozen people died, at most. Maybe the chaos following the unmasking of Jasmine, but that was mostly people running around in confusion, not attacking each other.

Of course, Dollhouse eventually turned into an apocalyptic world war.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 02:18 PM   #3218
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Then and Now
Old July 31 2014, 02:25 PM   #3219
Dennis
The Man

One hand-waving explanation for kryptonite is that it occurs in small amounts in the Kryptonian atmosphere and Bats is able to extract it.

In the comics, is Wayne generally treated these days as roughly the same age as Clark or older? Seems that in the last thirty years Clark's lost most of a decade but Wayne's career and life suggests a more mature guy.
Old July 31 2014, 02:58 PM   #3220
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
One hand-waving explanation for kryptonite is that it occurs in small amounts in the Kryptonian atmosphere and Bats is able to extract it.

In the comics, is Wayne generally treated these days as roughly the same age as Clark or older? Seems that in the last thirty years Clark's lost most of a decade but Wayne's career and life suggests a more mature guy.
The Comic generally treat them as peers but year they seem to have put a gap between them.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 03:02 PM   #3221
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Of the 'Then and now' pics posted by All Star Enterprise, the 1989 Batman outfit has (IMHO) aged the best and seems to have proven most influential on other big screen comic adaptations.

I'm sure they now use lighter and more flexible materials etc. and in some ways it's dated. However, by-and-large, it's proven to be something of a template for superhero costumes in films. It's a decade younger than Reeve's or Carter's costumes but it seems to have more in common with the modern day Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman costumes from 25 years later than it has with the two alongside it.
Old July 31 2014, 03:42 PM   #3222
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Of the 'Then and now' pics posted by All Star Enterprise, the 1989 Batman outfit has (IMHO) aged the best and seems to have proven most influential on other big screen comic adaptations.

I'm sure they now use lighter and more flexible materials etc. and in some ways it's dated. However, by-and-large, it's proven to be something of a template for superhero costumes in films. It's a decade younger than Reeve's or Carter's costumes but it seems to have more in common with the modern day Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman costumes from 25 years later than it has with the two alongside it.
Thanks Captaindemotion.
However there is another then vs now image floating around. With the Adam West suit... dun dun dun.
Old July 31 2014, 04:00 PM   #3223
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I'm not a fan of the direction that DC is taking their cinematic universe, but they are damn fine at designing costumes. I can't fault them for that.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 06:50 PM   #3224
Servo
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
If they're not going to go with the original origin of Green K, I think a simpler explanation would be just to say it was a byproduct of the attempted terraforming, and can be extracted from the geology surrounding the busted up World Engine.
Old July 31 2014, 06:52 PM   #3225
Dennis
The Man

That would work.