Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Nimoy Health Scare
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old July 28 2014, 12:03 AM   #3136
Locutus of Bored
Too Many Secrets

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

^ Yeah, I liked the playing up of the Greek Hoplite elements of the costume rather than silly Star Spangled granny panties.

the G-man wrote: View Post
FWIW, I practically cheered during the part in TDK where Batman used the special lenses, insofar as I finally got to see a live action Batman who had glowing white eyes like the comic books. In my mind, Bruce has always had special lenses in the mask, if for no other reason to make him creepier and to make it harder to identify him by eye color.
I liked them too (but not because of the white eyes/comics appearance thing), though it was kind of a bad design flaw that they can't be shut off very easily when you have to get into hand to hand combat.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 12:08 AM   #3137
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

If I was drawing a comic character in the late 1930s, I think I'd make it as easy on myself as possible. If that meant leaving the eyes blank, so be it.

I think that's probably how it was then, and just stuck. The 1966 Batman series did a good job of simulating the effect by the way the cowl fit Adam West, and the mask on Burt Ward. They did the same thing with Frank Gorshin. You don't really see their eyes.

The 1989 movie went a step further with the eye black, and every live action Batman since has used that. It lets you see the whites of the eyes in some shots, and the cowl creates dramatic shadows in others.

The lenses in TDK, and presumably in this new one, are there to serve a specific purpose.

Otherwise, it's just a thing. A look.

But hey, check out this shot from Project: Lex, earlier this year. Remind you of anything?

Old July 28 2014, 12:39 AM   #3138
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

Location: Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991...but I'll be back in 2016.
View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

About the possibility of Batman having a lead-lined suit: Maybe if Bats IS packing kryptonite, he's wearing a lead-lined suit to protect him from the radiation (kryptonite radiation IS harmful to humans, it just takes longer). Protecting Bruce's identity would just be a side benefit that he didn't know about. He'd probably figure it out during the fight, so he could make sure he lined his cowl from that point on. Just spitballing.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 01:09 AM   #3139
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

A trilogy!

Lucy Lawless - Xena Warrior Princess

Rosamund Pike - Wrath of the Titans

Gal Gadot - Batman v Superman

Bonus WW in Armor

M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 01:27 AM   #3140
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Got to say this is looking more... promising.

I initially wasn't too fond of the idea of Ms. Gadot being WW but the look really works for me. I'm still cautious, though, Bat-fleck still has me worried and the use of Superman in MOS left a lot to be desired for me.
Old July 28 2014, 01:38 AM   #3141
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Affleck does look like he's shaping up to be a good Bruce Wayne/Batman. The whole notion that Bruce and Clark look alike is even captured pretty well.

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 01:40 AM   #3142
Theophilus
Lieutenant Commander

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
About the possibility of Batman having a lead-lined suit: Maybe if Bats IS packing kryptonite, he's wearing a lead-lined suit to protect him from the radiation (kryptonite radiation IS harmful to humans, it just takes longer). Protecting Bruce's identity would just be a side benefit that he didn't know about. He'd probably figure it out during the fight, so he could make sure he lined his cowl from that point on. Just spitballing.
Wouldn't this armor be getting pretty heavy by this point? What the hell powers this thing? It's not an Iron Man suit with an arc reactor. Superman could just knock Batman over and he'd be trapped like a turtle upside down on its shell. I suppose that wouldn't make The Fight very interesting. Funny, but not interesting.
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 01:41 AM   #3143
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

We know Kryptonite can be used as a powersource. Maybe he's got some Metallo tech hidden in there.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 01:42 AM   #3144
sojourner
Admiral

Theophilus wrote: View Post

Wouldn't this armor be getting pretty heavy by this point? What the hell powers this thing? It's not an Iron Man suit with an arc reactor. Superman could just knock Batman over and he'd be trapped like a turtle upside down on its shell. I suppose that wouldn't make The Fight very interesting. Funny, but not interesting.
Have you read The Dark Knight Returns?

Most of your questions are answered therein.
Old July 28 2014, 01:48 AM   #3145
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

Location: Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991...but I'll be back in 2016.
View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

You can believe that Iron Man's armor is powered by a miniature nuclear reactor implanted in Tony Stark's chest, but it stretches credibility that Batman has a power source built into his armor?
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 01:53 AM   #3146
Theophilus
Lieutenant Commander

sojourner wrote: View Post
Have you read The Dark Knight Returns?

Most of your questions are answered therein.
No, I haven't. I do apologize if my posts are getting obnoxious. I'm just reacting to these things from my own point of view in the context of Man of Steel.

I'm aware of some elements of The Dark Knight Returns. At least, I think I am. Isn't Batman's suit powered by the city's power grid?
Old July 28 2014, 01:59 AM   #3147
DWF
Vice Admiral

We have no idea how log going to be wearing the suit nor how's powered.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 02:00 AM   #3148
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

I honestly would have expected something similar to what happened in the story-line with Superman and Batman meeting in the "Smallville Season 11" comic that ran. To fight Superman, Batman wore a bat-suit the emitted red sunlight.
Old July 28 2014, 02:02 AM   #3149
Theophilus
Lieutenant Commander

You can believe that Iron Man's armor is powered by a miniature nuclear reactor implanted in Tony Stark's chest, but it stretches credibility that Batman has a power source built into his armor?
I know, I know. I'm splitting the hairs of realism in a movie about a flying alien and a billionaire that dresses like a bat.

I just have the hardest time believing in the reality of the movie's universe of a fist fight between Batman and Superman.

Maybe I simply need to get over it.
Old July 28 2014, 02:11 AM   #3150
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

We have only seen the smallest portion of the MOS reality we have no idea what type of tech is available in it. Much like Nolans Batman I am sure the MOS Bruce has his own bleeding edge research department creating all kinds of toys.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote