Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 26 2014, 10:01 PM   #3046
Christopher
Writer

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

I've heard it said that Marvel has enough A-list female characters already that it doesn't need a singular "Wonder Woman," and that this is a good thing because it spares any single character the responsibility to stand for all women and be some kind of all-encompassing paragon as Wonder Woman is often called upon to be.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 10:05 PM   #3047
davejames
Vice Admiral

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Yes, but I still find it odd that, for all their ground-breaking work in comics, Marvel has failed to establish their own "Wonder Woman," their own alpha female A-list character who distinguishes herself apart from her superhero team. Also, I know that some fans have been anxious for Marvel to produce a film with a female in the lead role before DC gets Wonder Woman on the big screen. Cheer up, maybe Wonder Woman will incentivize Marvel to produce Ms. Marvel.
I'm a huge DC guy, but to be fair even the comics have had a hard time figuring out WW and making the character really work on the page (despite her iconic status).

Whatever the case though, I'm just finally happy to see her on the big screen.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 10:05 PM   #3048
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post

I understand there was a clip of Cavill and Afleck squaring off or something--any chance others who didn't go to the con might get to see this?

Likely not as Comic-Con hate's shakey camera preview leaks.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 10:13 PM   #3049
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I've heard it said that Marvel has enough A-list female characters already that it doesn't need a singular "Wonder Woman," and that this is a good thing because it spares any single character the responsibility to stand for all women and be some kind of all-encompassing paragon as Wonder Woman is often called upon to be.
Sounds like a rationalization on Marvel's part. It's pretty obvious they want a successful female character along the lines Wonder Woman.
Old July 26 2014, 10:26 PM   #3050
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Sounds like a rationalization on Marvel's part. It's pretty obvious they want a successful female character along the lines Wonder Woman.
I agree with Nerys. When I think of women in Marvel who are heroes, I think

Sue Storm
She-Hulk
Storm
Rogue
Jean Grey
Rogue
Kitty Pryde
Scarlett With
Black Widow
Black Cat
Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)

All of them are easily recognizable but there's no Wonder Woman among them. The closet one would be Jean Grey but they keep dicking her character around and killing her off. Sue Storm is called the First Lady of Marvel but she's not very interesting nor has she been given much profile above supportive team member, wife and mother.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 10:28 PM   #3051
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

The costume is ok. Color wise its uninteresting, it all blends together, you have to really look at it to see details. Still, I was expecting worse. Gadot does look more like Wonder Woman than the woman from the WW pilot, so that's something. I still don't think she looks particularly like a warrior or a good version of WW, but its better than I expected. WW will probably just get a cameo in costume, maybe a small fight in the middle of the climax.

In the end, we didn't hear or see much, but what little info we got looks better than I expected. I'm still not exactly excited for the movie, but I'm still willing to give it a chance. That said, Ben Affleck is still the only actor of the three I'm convinced can play his role well, but it will be interesting to see how it turns out. I hope I'm wrong and DC surprises me, I'd love to be able to be more excited for DC movies, and to be fair I haven't seen anything from this one that shows it can't be a good movie.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 10:30 PM   #3052
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

I understand there was a clip of Cavill and Afleck squaring off or something--any chance others who didn't go to the con might get to see this?

IT'S TRUE
Old July 26 2014, 10:45 PM   #3053
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Why don't they just livestream the panels like E3? People will still go, and those of us at home will watch the streams and get even more hyped for the upcoming movies. It's a win-win situation for everyone.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 10:48 PM   #3054
Creepy Critter
Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post

IT'S TRUE
WOOHOO!
Old July 26 2014, 10:53 PM   #3055
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

That pic does look cool, although I hope a Superman vs. Batman thing doesn't take up a huge part of the movie. I'd prefer seeing them work together as opposed to spending a lot of time fighting.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 10:53 PM   #3056
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post

Why don't they just livestream the panels like E3? People will still go, and those of us at home will watch the streams and get even more hyped for the upcoming movies. It's a win-win situation for everyone.

You just gave yourself the answer. If people could livestream it then they'd stay home and wait rather than go

Which would result in smaller ACTUAL attendance numbers at comic-con

Incase anyone missed the comic-con footage description posted on page 200

10:10

Silas Lesnick:
Batman is standing on a Gotham rooftop in the rain

Silas Lesnick:
His costume isn't what we've seen already. It's big and bulky, like his armor in The Dark Knight Returns

Silas Lesnick:
His eye light up, solid white

Silas Lesnick:
He's moving a tarp, revealing the bat signal
10:11

Silas Lesnick:
He turns it on and the camera tracks up to the sky

Silas Lesnick:
Superman is there, hovering in the light

Silas Lesnick:
He doesn't look happy.

Silas Lesnick:
His eyes light up with heat vision as he glares at Batman

Silas Lesnick:
The title come up!
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 11:14 PM   #3057
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Sue Storm is called the First Lady of Marvel but she's not very interesting nor has she been given much profile above supportive team member, wife and mother.
Hmmm. Interesting.

So, my question to you is-- do you actually read "Fantastic Four" comics? Susan Richards is regulary portrayed as the most powerful member of the team as well as team leader whenever Reed is out of the picture.

She coordinates the logistics and handles and personel issues of Reed's scientific endeavors and charitable works and handles all of the business aspects of the operation that Reed is too busy for on top of being a supportive team member, wife and mother.

She took down the brainwashed Wolverine like a bitch with minimal effort in the "Wolverine: Enemy of the State" storyline after Wolverine had taken out the rest of the team.

He went into the situation thinking that she was the only member of the team that even made him nervous. The confrontation went as follows...

Wolverine (Thought captions): Lungs Freeze. Two lumps of rock in my back.

(Wolverine falls to the ground)

Susan (spoken): Trouble catching your breath, Wolverine? That's because there's a little force-field sitting in each of your lungs right now. Make another move and they double in size. I don't care if you're sick. I don't care if you've been brainwashed. You came to my house and threatened my family, and, to me, that makes you fair game.
She then goes on to turn his optic nerves invisible, blinding him. You don't mess with Susan Richards. Ever.

While I agree that an Invisible Woman solo movie is extremely unlikely to happen (as she is too closely associated to the team), don't simply dismiss the character as a housewife with super-powers.
Old July 26 2014, 11:29 PM   #3058
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

^ Oh word? Do you have the issue number or the name of the trade it's in? I don't dislike Sue it's just she doesn't have the star power of some of other female characters and for me at least she always seemed, well invisible. I know she's there, but things usually came down to Reed's genius or Johnny doing something. Thing is there to take the punches and frequently be made the whipping boy to other heavy hitters in the Marvel verse.
Old July 26 2014, 11:39 PM   #3059
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I agree with Nerys. When I think of women in Marvel who are heroes, I think

Sue Storm
She-Hulk
Storm
Rogue
Jean Grey
Rogue
Kitty Pryde
Scarlett With
Black Widow
Black Cat
Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)

All of them are easily recognizable but there's no Wonder Woman among them. The closet one would be Jean Grey but they keep dicking her character around and killing her off. Sue Storm is called the First Lady of Marvel but she's not very interesting nor has she been given much profile above supportive team member, wife and mother.
One of our TrekBBS friends (sorry, his name eludes me) is a huge Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers) booster. He maintains that Ms. Marvel is the A-list answer to WW. I like Ms. Marvel too and hope that the studio will at least introduce her in Avengers 3.
Old July 26 2014, 11:40 PM   #3060
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

They've done a lot in the last few decades to make characters like Sue, the Wasp, Marvel Girl and Scarlet Witch into more than kidnap victims, hostages and chronic fainters.