RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,562
Members: 25,808
Currently online: 559
Newest member: amandapares

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old July 6 2014, 08:20 PM   #2806
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

For all of my childhood, George Reeves was Superman. Period. He may have worn a padded suit, but it didn't look ridiculous like that still of Affleck from Hollywoodland. George was the only live action Superman there was (aside from Kirk Alyn, and I didn't see his version until much later).

All that changed for me in 1978 when Christopher Reeve (no 's') donned the cape and took to the skies. I can forgive III & IV, just because Reeve was so good. The Superboy series wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that good either. For me, Christopher Reeve was and still is Superman.

I was really excited to see Brandon Routh pick up the torch and had high hopes. Returns isn't a great movie, but it doesn't suck. Routh did the best he could.

It wasn't until the last couple of years that I saw the photo of Cage in the rubber suit. That is just so wrong. I'm seriously happy that version was scrapped.

Henry Cavill did a good job and I'm looking forward to the next movie.

As for the suits, every variation from the iconic version is just a stylistic choice. As long as they don't lose the important parts, the \S/ and the cape, and as long as they don't do some dipshit stuff like make him rely on some kind of armor with a helmet and goggles, it's all good.

Now if we're talking Batman, that's another story.
Old July 6 2014, 10:49 PM   #2807
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
I don't see why Supes can't just wear some type of leather or leather-like suit - much like the movie X-Men suits, but colored.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The Dean Cain version I liked the most. Yeah, the show didn't age well, but the characters are solid. I like all of them, Clark, Superman, Lois, Clark's parents, Lex Luthor, Perry White, and the first Jimmy Olson. All great.
I didn't like the Jimmy recast. Way too jarring and the second actor wasn't that good. Rumor was the powers that be thought the actor was too similar to Dean Cain and that viewers are too stupid to differentiate.
I heard that they wanted a Jonathan Brandis lookalike to compete with seaQuest.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 11:09 PM   #2808
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

The only alternative Superman costume I've ever seen that I kinda liked was actually a Superboy costume... and it was just jeans and a t-shirt. In all honesty, that's the type of costume I'd expect an invulnerable kind of guy to wear. Course, it does fit more with the "boy" aspect than the "man," too. But I still like the way it looks.

A distant second would be something more like this, but with a more vibrant shade of blue. I like how the shield actually serves a purpose, and the outfit itself actually looks like it has some kind of utilitarian purpose for an alien outfit, rather than just tights with a texture. Perhaps it helps him better absorb sunlight (which, you'd think, is a fact that would lead him to prefer to have as much skin exposed as possible). The shield is also larger, which is a nice look. Especially compared to the ridiculous looking shield on the Superman Returns outfit.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 12:01 AM   #2809
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
I don't see why Supes can't just wear some type of leather or leather-like suit - much like the movie X-Men suits, but colored.

Frankly, that's not a bad start. Make the jacket blue, mix in the colors on the crest, get rid of the center zipper and add matching pants, and you'd have an outfit that's visually rich without the weird and gratuitous texture.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 12:57 AM   #2810
davejames
Vice Admiral

^ That's basically the kind of leather costume they're giving Flash in the new TV series. It's not a bad look, but personally I'd rather Superman wear a more form-fitting, "superhero-y" kind of costume in the movies.

Just like I really wouldn't want to see Spidey in a loose-fitting leather costume either. It just wouldn't look right at all.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 01:18 AM   #2811
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

As it stands, I like that jacket design. No modifications needed.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 01:20 AM   #2812
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

(As for Spider-Man, never forget that the guy you're designing for will be regularly doing acrobatics and gymnastics. In all weather conditions that you'd expect from New York City.)

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 01:28 AM   #2813
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

DEWLine wrote: View Post
As it stands, I like that jacket design. No modifications needed.

Always loved that jacket!
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 01:52 AM   #2814
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The costume issue was addressed in Hancock. He wasn't about to be caught dead in a spandex outfit. Fortunately his PR guy came up with a good alternative.

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 02:52 AM   #2815
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

Too much going on with the Hancock suit. Still not bad. I could actually see Smith as John Stewart/Green Lantern. I know not an original thought.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 03:30 AM   #2816
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Who decided Superheroes only wear spandex?
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 04:21 AM   #2817
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

^ Have Cavil wear armor!
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 12:37 PM   #2818
grendelsbayne
Captain

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I think the main point trying to be made is that the costume could still be modernized and updated without having to rely on nonsensical textures and whatnot.

I don't think anyone is saying the original costume is good. Iconic, maybe, but certainly not good, or one suitable for modern sensibilities.
I think the main point is that there's no reason why they should be barred from adding a little texture in their efforts to modernize the suit. Of course it's not the *only* thing they could have tried (and almost certainly was not the only thing they did try). But it gives a very strong 'alien' feel while still maintaining the classic look, thereby modernizing the suit and explaining it all at once. So they used it. Because it works.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 06:06 PM   #2819
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
(As for Spider-Man, never forget that the guy you're designing for will be regularly doing acrobatics and gymnastics. In all weather conditions that you'd expect from New York City.)
Good point. The same could be said of Daredevil, who doesn't have the same physical superpowers as Spider-man. I quite liked the motorcycle-gear style outfit Affleck wore in that movie but it'll be interesting to see how they dress him in the forthcoming MCU Netflix series.
Old July 7 2014, 06:13 PM   #2820
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I think the main point trying to be made is that the costume could still be modernized and updated without having to rely on nonsensical textures and whatnot.

I don't think anyone is saying the original costume is good. Iconic, maybe, but certainly not good, or one suitable for modern sensibilities.
I think the main point is that there's no reason why they should be barred from adding a little texture in their efforts to modernize the suit. Of course it's not the *only* thing they could have tried (and almost certainly was not the only thing they did try). But it gives a very strong 'alien' feel while still maintaining the classic look, thereby modernizing the suit and explaining it all at once. So they used it. Because it works.
Who said anything about being "barred" from being able to make changes. Of course they have the right to make changes, especially considering they have made changes.

The point is, they didn't have to make these types of changes, and there's plenty of people who greatly dislike them. God forbid people have different opinions.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote