Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 4 2014, 01:33 AM   #2746
Dennis
The Man

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I never said that the film failed, but it made far less money than it should have.
No.

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 04:24 AM   #2747
Gaith
Rear Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Brightened up image.

Oh yeah? Well, I'll see your above revision and raise you...

(don't know whose work this is; would attribute it if I did)
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 04:39 AM   #2748
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Gaith wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Brightened up image.

Oh yeah? Well, I'll see your above revision and raise you...

(don't know whose work this is; would attribute it if I did)
"Hi kiddies. Don't you want a balloon? They float. We all float down here. We all float"

In more serious news. Here's a side by side comparison of the MOS suit and the DOJ suit.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 04:52 AM   #2749
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

^ It's Kingdom Come Superman!

And Gaith, good find with that balloon pic.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 02:34 PM   #2750
Theophilus
Lieutenant Commander

All right, since we're having some fun with this picture.

http://io9.com/zack-snyders-explanat...93010/+bricken

The author has a valid point too.
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 04:53 PM   #2751
davejames
Vice Admiral

Shame, I really liked the larger S.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 05:03 PM   #2752
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I really don't get the whole "everything has to be textured because of HDTV" movement. I'm pretty sure I see all kinds of smooth, non-textured materials in this real, analog world. I don't know why going digital makes a big difference.
Old July 4 2014, 06:16 PM   #2753
grendelsbayne
Commander

I'm not so sure the texture in the suit is really just because of HD. The original suit may be iconic, but there's no denying it very closely resembles pyjamas. I'm not saying it's impossible to make it look really good on the silver screen, but I can certainly understand why they might prefer to try something that looked a little more substantial. Having it be actual kryptonian clothing (which therefore must look at least a little alien) was a pretty good solution, imo. And it ultimately looks pretty cool, as far as i'm concerned.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 08:23 PM   #2754
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
I'm not so sure the texture in the suit is really just because of HD. The original suit may be iconic, but there's no denying it very closely resembles pyjamas. I'm not saying it's impossible to make it look really good on the silver screen, but I can certainly understand why they might prefer to try something that looked a little more substantial. Having it be actual kryptonian clothing (which therefore must look at least a little alien) was a pretty good solution, imo. And it ultimately looks pretty cool, as far as i'm concerned.
Pyjamas?

Not seeing it.
Old July 4 2014, 08:34 PM   #2755
USS Firefly
Commander

Cavill looks bulkier.
I don't see a reason to change the suit because it's looks good enough in MOS
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 11:13 PM   #2756
Fearless
Commodore

I like it a lot but had no problems with the MoS \S/uit. Henry looks SUPER!
Fearless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 02:32 AM   #2757
davejames
Vice Admiral

Agreed. It's not about HD, it's simply about making the superhero costume look more believable and sophisticated for modern audiences. And also just making it a lot more interesting to look at.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 11:36 AM   #2758
grendelsbayne
Commander

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Pyjamas?

Not seeing it.
Yes, modern pyjamas are baggier. The classic superman costume reminds me more of brightly colored long johns (or sometimes even a onesie). And let's not even speak of the era when he wore a diaper over his pants. The bottom line is that there's a very good reason why the vast majority of superhero movies don't even attempt to match the spandex obsession of the comics. Superman got away with the tights longer than most, simply because he is so iconic, but it was only a matter of time before someone tried to make him look a little more realistic, and I personally am very happy with the result.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 03:30 PM   #2759
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
Agreed. It's not about HD...
No, it's not a debate. They've literally said as much. There may be other reasons, too, but HD was a definitive reason for adding texture to all the superhero costumes as of late.
Old July 5 2014, 03:51 PM   #2760
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Pyjamas?

Not seeing it.
Yes, modern pyjamas are baggier. The classic superman costume reminds me more of brightly colored long johns (or sometimes even a onesie). And let's not even speak of the era when he wore a diaper over his pants. The bottom line is that there's a very good reason why the vast majority of superhero movies don't even attempt to match the spandex obsession of the comics. Superman got away with the tights longer than most, simply because he is so iconic, but it was only a matter of time before someone tried to make him look a little more realistic, and I personally am very happy with the result.
Pyjamas have always been "baggie" or loose fitting.

Longjohns are underwear, not pyjamas. The current costume with it's single color and one piece styling looks more like longjohns the the older one.

Never heard the trunks called a diaper before. Usually they're jokingly called underwear. Though neither is accurate.

Superman's costume is styled after what circus performers wore. Superman predates the invention of spandex by 20 years

How is what Superman ( and many other superheroes) currently wears not tights?