TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 13 2014, 01:05 PM   #2626
AgentDreidel
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentDreidel's Twitter Profile
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

I can see them maybe taking a lighter, more tongue-in-cheek approach with Captain Marvel (I agree, his name is Captain Marvel. I don't give a crap about trademarks.) Sort of what Marvel was apparently planning to do with Ant-Man, although with the departure of Edgar Wright, who the hell knows what they're doing anymore?

If they go with Hal as GL, I think Bradley Cooper would be a good choice. I'm sure they're undoubtedly going with Barry for the Flash, but since they're already going to have a Barry Allen Flash running around on the small screen, I still hold out some vain hope that they'll go with Wally for the movies. Wally is my Flash.
AgentDreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 02:36 PM   #2627
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post

Also Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel now. Marvel comics owns the Trademark for the name. Go Carol Go!
This has been the case for decades. I think DC finally just gave up on calling him Captain Marvel.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 02:46 PM   #2628
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post

Also Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel now. Marvel comics owns the Trademark for the name. Go Carol Go!
This has been the case for decades. I think DC finally just gave up on calling him Captain Marvel.
Yeah I think so as well. Because of the TM deal with Marvel, all of DC's Captain Marvel comics had to be titled Shazam. Also most casual readers identified Billy Baston as Shazam because that's the word he spoke to activate his powers. It irked me a little bit when they did this for New52, but after reading the comic, I liked the change. It's not like Shazam is an inappropriate name or that the wizard who shares the name was that influential to the story telling. More power to both DC and Marvel for doing different things with their characters. Especially Carol Danvers. Funny thing is, Supergirl during the 90's was called Linda Danvers. DC and Marvel always lifting ideas from one another.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 04:27 PM   #2629
kirk55555
Commodore

Well, as a big Captain Marvel fan I hated the change. Then I realised that, with the personality change, DC's Shazam no longer resembled the real, original Captain Marvel in anything but appearance. His whole premise is different. So, I can say that my favorite DC hero, Captain Marvel, isn't being used by DC anymore. The character that at one point outsold Superman got thrown away, and Shazam is basically a legacy hero, like when Dick Grayson became Batman. The real Billy Batson is dead, and the angsty teen with the same name is just some random d-bag. He is one of the worst rebooted heroes, and I hope he doesn't get a movie, and eventually fades away from the comics like other reboot failures Voodoo, Grifter, Static, etc. The big red cheese will always be my favorite DC hero, but Shazam needs to disappear. He definitely doesn't need a movie.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 05:06 PM   #2630
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Neroon wrote: View Post
Garak wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Considering I'm the one who wrote it, and I know exactly what I said and what I meant, yes. Yes it really was.

Try reading everything except the last sentence which I excluded above, since, apparently, that's fucking throwing you two.
So now you want us to judge a portion of your post now and not the actual post you wrote? Well that sure is convenient.

.....we know.

[I] All I've said is "no, not really".

It does seem pretty logical to helpfully point out to someone so obviously confused by the relationship of characters vs actual real life writers.

Not me. I'm blaming the god damned writers, because the character has nothing to do with it.
Why does it sound like you're having an angry cry? Take a deep breath, son.
That's good advice for BOTH of you to take, please.
Calmer than you Neroon, calmer than you.
Old June 13 2014, 09:51 PM   #2631
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

davejames wrote: View Post
Kinda surprised there's no mention of a solo Affleck-Batman movie in there. Much as I was hoping for a MOS sequel, I thought for sure we'd see another Batman movie before we ever saw another solo Superman movie.
There's been talk of doing a solo Batman movie in 2020, which would be three years after Justice League (and eight years after The Dark Knight Rises). That is, if Justice League is slated for May 2017 as rumored.

Word on the street is that WB wants to wait some time before commissioning another solo Batman adventure in order to have enough time pass after Nolan's Batman trilogy, which honestly makes a lot of sense (something Sony could have benefited from with their Amazing Spider-Man reboot if they didn't have the rights issue to contend with). Especially if Kevin Smith's comments are true about WB's intention of doing team-up movies for now on, which given the Green Lantern/Flash team-up movie rumor might be true.

However, by 2020, it might be time for a new Batman reboot anyway. Ben Affleck is at least signed for the upcoming Batman vs. Superman and Justice League, but not much is known after that. Ben Affleck is also 41 and in six years he'll be 47, which might be too old for Batman. I could see WB opting for a different actor (also, would Affleck wanna continue to play Batman for that long) or I could even see Affleck working as an older Bruce Wayne in a Batman Beyond movie... if WB ever goes that route.
Old June 14 2014, 12:43 AM   #2632
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Word on the street is that WB wants to wait some time before commissioning another solo Batman adventure in order to have enough time pass after Nolan's Batman trilogy, which honestly makes a lot of sense (something Sony could have benefited from with their Amazing Spider-Man reboot if they didn't have the rights issue to contend with).
Hmmm...I seem to recall being taken to task around these parts last year for daring to suggest that they might take this approach....

Ben Affleck is also 41 and in six years he'll be 47, which might be too old for Batman.
Not if they're looking to TDKR for inspiration...Batman doesn't get too old, he just gets meaner.

A look at LexCorp
Reminds me of my old Saturn dealership....

Also most casual readers identified Billy Baston as Shazam because that's the word he spoke to activate his powers. It irked me a little bit when they did this for New52, but after reading the comic, I liked the change. It's not like Shazam is an inappropriate name or that the wizard who shares the name was that influential to the story telling. More power to both DC and Marvel for doing different things with their characters. Especially Carol Danvers. Funny thing is, Supergirl during the 90's was called Linda Danvers. DC and Marvel always lifting ideas from one another.
Wait, so is the current version of Cap in the same situation that Cap Jr. used to be in...not being able to say his own name?

Also, FWIW, the Linda Danvers name dates back to the 60s, before Carol Danvers was even a supporting character, from when the original version of the character was adopted by a family named Danvers.
Old June 14 2014, 01:44 AM   #2633
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

^ That's the silly thing about it to me. The magic word he says that transforms him is Shazam so he goes by... Shazam?

"Wow thank you so much, what's your name?"
"Shazam" *lightning bolt falls from sky, turns him back into kid/teen*
"Sooo... you're a kid?!"

or

"Who's your favorite superhero? Mine's Batman."
"Oh I like a lot of them... Superman's cool."
"Oh who's the big red one? What's his name, Shazoom?"
"You mean Shazam?" *bolt of lightning*
"WHOAH!!!"
Old June 14 2014, 02:58 AM   #2634
Mr Light
Admiral

Maybe it only works if he shouts it

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 03:46 AM   #2635
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Or he lets his agent, Jim Nabors, handle all introductions.
Old June 14 2014, 04:08 AM   #2636
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Maybe the statue is from the end of the movie, and he does something more heroic in this one to earn it.
What's more heroic than saving the planet?
Saving the planet, rescuing the people in your city and finding a way to win the day without resorting to killing your opponent. That's what Superman does (see Grant Morrison's recent Action Comics arc). That's more heroic.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 09:40 AM   #2637
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

The Jason Momoa as Aquaman rumours are resurfacing: http://batman-news.com/2014/06/14/ja...wn-of-justice/
Old June 14 2014, 11:49 AM   #2638
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Shazam? Seriously?!
Old June 14 2014, 12:10 PM   #2639
Mr Light
Admiral

Jason Momoa is the last person in the world I expected to play Aquaman. Is he going to be a short haired blonde in it?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 02:03 PM   #2640
AgentDreidel
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentDreidel's Twitter Profile

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Jason Momoa is the last person in the world I expected to play Aquaman. Is he going to be a short haired blonde in it?
If there's any truth to that rumor, it almost seems like they're trying to make him more Namor-like. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. It's not like Marvel seems to have any interest in bringing Namor to the big screen.
AgentDreidel is offline   Reply With Quote