CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 12 2014, 11:06 PM   #2131
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, I missed the memo that in a thread running to 140 omething pages, every single post had to be entirely original and not mention something already referred to.
Yeah, it's easy to miss stuff one post above yours, especially when it's one of the ones you're replying to.
Oh get the fuck over yourself. You asked why Batman would have a noisy and ostentatious vehicle when he sneaks about much of the time and I mentioned horses for courses. Of course the same topics and subjects are going to be discussed.
Old May 12 2014, 11:08 PM   #2132
Christopher
Writer

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Have we ever seen much in the way of Detective work in the films? There is a bit in the first one with the chemicals but otherwise I'm trying a blank
Which is one of the problems with the films. We haven't really seen a movie about Batman as a detective -- except maybe for the '66 film, which featured a lot of clue-solving, even if they were very contrived clues literally written across the sky.

As for the example of the Black Beauty, it's worth pointing out that, while it was subtle enough to blend into traffic at night, it still had a distinctive and cool look. And most of all, it was a very high-tech car. This is something the recent movie remake got wrong by using the exact same make and model of car as the TV series version. At the time, that model of car was brand-new and cutting-edge, and the BB represented a futuristic, advanced design rather than nostalgia. The Batmobile could work on similar lines. The Neal Adams Batmobile mentioned above sounds like the same sort of idea -- visually interesting because it's a sleek modern design tricked out with concealable gadgets (much like KITT from Knight Rider was), rather than because it's all dressed up with Bat-themed frippery or designed like some exotic concept car.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 12:40 AM   #2133
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Have we ever seen much in the way of Detective work in the films? There is a bit in the first one with the chemicals but otherwise I'm trying a blank
"The Dark Knight"?

The whole "reconstructing the bullet" scene to get a fingerprint from the Joker.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 01:04 AM   #2134
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Oh get the fuck over yourself. You asked why Batman would have a noisy and ostentatious vehicle when he sneaks about much of the time and I mentioned horses for courses. Of course the same topics and subjects are going to be discussed.
Wow, it's amazing how you don't even get your own responses right. No wonder you had trouble keeping up with the posts you were replying to. (That, or maybe you just don't know what that phrase means or something? I don't know.)

People, myself included, were saying that a vehicle more like what Bond or Green Hornet uses makes more sense for the character; fast, armored, armed, and full of snazzy gadgets. You then come out of nowhere, blathering on with an irrelevant phrase considering the conversation at hand, and then pull a Prius straight out of your nether regions. Then you have the audacity to get upset when what you said doesn't really make any sense and/or was already addressed.

It's okay if you're having a bad day. I have them all the time, too. Assuming that's what's going on, here's a hug for you. <hugs> But, honestly, with that said, the only one who needs to get over themselves is you.
Old May 13 2014, 03:36 AM   #2135
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
It could be cool, I'll reserve judgement until I can fully see it.
OK, who are you and what are you doing with Kirk55555's account?

The Batman parts of this movie are the only things I'm holding out hope for. It would be nice if he had a good Batmobile, and from the pic I think it has a chance. Its not essential, but it would be cool.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 03:27 PM   #2136
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Wow, it's amazing how you don't even get your own responses right. No wonder you had trouble keeping up with the posts you were replying to. (That, or maybe you just don't know what that phrase means or something? I don't know.)

People, myself included, were saying that a vehicle more like what Bond or Green Hornet uses makes more sense for the character; fast, armored, armed, and full of snazzy gadgets. You then come out of nowhere, blathering on with an irrelevant phrase considering the conversation at hand, and then pull a Prius straight out of your nether regions. Then you have the audacity to get upset when what you said doesn't really make any sense and/or was already addressed.

It's okay if you're having a bad day. I have them all the time, too. Assuming that's what's going on, here's a hug for you. <hugs> But, honestly, with that said, the only one who needs to get over themselves is you.
You're actually right. I was having a bad day, with a 7 year-old who was having meltdowns and I was half-browsing the thread with half an eye on the tv. I posted a generalised response, whilst half awake on the couch, as I often do, whilst not paying particular attention to the details, nor expecting it to be particularly analysed. My post probably would have made more sense if I'd just added 'as others have said' before referring to the armour etc. So I guess I got over-sensitive to your response, as reading the thread was my way of escaping a bad day and instead finding more friction to an already fractious day.

I would've said this in a PM but can't seem to find how to PM you on your profile. So, hug accepted, even if not originally offered in total seriousness - and apology and handshake proferred in response?
Old May 13 2014, 05:27 PM   #2137
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Anyway, on a happier note, Snyder has posted not just the Batmobile but the Batman himself. Moody rather than detailed but the suit does look different from what we've seen before (the ears are anyway):

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/batm...fflecks-batman
Old May 13 2014, 05:30 PM   #2138
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I love it. Looks fantastic.
Old May 13 2014, 05:30 PM   #2139
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

I'm loving it so far!

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 05:35 PM   #2140
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The Batmobil looks like what I was expecting as a Tumbler replacement The Dark Knight.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 05:37 PM   #2141
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

That suit definitely has a Frank Miller Dark Knight vibe to it.
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 05:39 PM   #2142
Christopher
Writer

I like the sculpting on the cowl, but I'm not sure of the rest. The Batsuit in the second and third Nolan movies looked genuinely functional and practical, body armor you could move around in. This seems more like the older movie designs that were more sculpted for show.

And I don't like the oversized Dark Knight Returns-style Bat logo. I'm also tired of Bat logos that are the same color as the rest of the costume. Okay, I get it, camouflage and all, but if he wanted to be camouflaged, why use a logo at all? The very existence of the logo implies that it's meant to be seen.

Not crazy about the new Batmobile either. It's still very Tumbler-ish.

Still, the cowl looks very good.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 05:41 PM   #2143
Saul
Rear Admiral

I was gonna joke and say 'Fat Man' but this is more of a Dark Knight Returns Batman. The suit and physique. Impressed.
Old May 13 2014, 05:46 PM   #2144
flavaflav
Commander

I'm digging the suit, but the Batmobile looks fricking terrible.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 05:52 PM   #2145
The Black Stig
Rear Admiral

I'm still quite partial to the second-gen Nolan Batsuit. This one seems to be a cross of the DKR cowl and the suit from the Arkham Asylum games, right on down to the brass-knuckles integrated into the gloves.

All we know is that he's not The Stig, he's The Stig's drowned predecessor.
The Black Stig is offline   Reply With Quote