Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 12 2014, 09:49 PM   #2116
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

I didn't like the Tumbler when I first saw it but I really grew to like it. I also really liked the Burton Batmobile.

I don't mind the idea of a more subtle Batmobile that can blend into traffic, but at the end of the day I think the movie will want something that has a little more of a visual pop to it.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 09:59 PM   #2117
sojourner
Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
It could be cool, I'll reserve judgement until I can fully see it.
OK, who are you and what are you doing with Kirk55555's account?

Old May 12 2014, 10:06 PM   #2118
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I've always disliked the silly and gaudy Batmobiles, the animated and 60's versions included. Batman should be sporting something more like a Bond vehicle or, as previously referenced, the Green Hornet. Heavily armored, filled with gadgets, non-lethal weapons, and intimidation tools, but otherwise easily concealable if/when necessary. Which, honestly, would be the vast majority of the time.

Throw the tradition of past Batmobiles out the window for a moment. Would Batman, a character who's all about hiding, sneaking, and detective work, really drive around town in any of those vehicles? It just doesn't fit the character. At all.
Old May 12 2014, 10:17 PM   #2119
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I've always disliked the silly and gaudy Batmobiles, the animated and 60's versions included. Batman should be sporting something more like a Bond vehicle or, as previously referenced, the Green Hornet. Heavily armored, filled with gadgets, non-lethal weapons, and intimidation tools, but otherwise easily concealable if/when necessary. Which, honestly, would be the vast majority of the time.

Throw the tradition of past Batmobiles out the window for a moment. Would Batman, a character who's all about hiding, sneaking, and detective work, really drive around town in any of those vehicles? It just doesn't fit the character. At all.
Have we ever seen much in the way of Detective work in the films? There is a bit in the first one with the chemicals but otherwise I'm trying a blank
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 10:20 PM   #2120
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Besides, it's horses for courses. He sneaks about quietly and ninja-like in the shadows when he needs to. When he's in the car, he needs speed, possibly some weaponry and armour. A Prius won't cut it.
Old May 12 2014, 10:24 PM   #2121
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

This is a man who runs around dressed as a bat and leaves his mouth exposed. He really isn't subtle and practical.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 10:24 PM   #2122
davejames
Vice Admiral

Frankly as much as I always hated the sight of Batman on a motorcycle, I thought the Batpod was probably the one of the best inventions anyone ever came up with for the character. Not only did it look cool as hell, but it's also a helluva lot more practical and mobile than anything else he could ever use to get around.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 10:40 PM   #2123
kitik
Lieutenant Commander

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Have we ever seen much in the way of Detective work in the films? There is a bit in the first one with the chemicals but otherwise I'm trying a blank
Robin/Blake was by far the best actual detective in all of the Nolan films. He actually figured stuff out.
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 10:40 PM   #2124
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

You're assuming I think the movies are a good example of the character, too. They're not. I'd like to see a good example of the character. Which is why the Marvel movies tend to be so much better than the DC ones; they're far more closer to the character than these feeble attempts to make them "realistic" that the DC movies keep going for. For example, I'd hate to have seen what they would have done with a character like Thor...

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Besides, it's horses for courses. He sneaks about quietly and ninja-like in the shadows when he needs to. When he's in the car, he needs speed, possibly some weaponry and armour. A Prius won't cut it.
Bond is totally known for driving around town in a Prius. And it's a good thing no one's mentioned armor, weaponry, or speed at all when talking about a more realistic Batmobile.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
This is a man who runs around dressed as a bat and leaves his mouth exposed. He really isn't subtle and practical.
He is when he needs to be. He's gone undercover many times, and the bat motif is there for intimidating purposes; it doesn't interfere with his ability to prowl stealthily around the city, which is how he spends 99+% of his time. Except, you know, when he's driving a stupid ass vehicle letting everyone know where he is, of course, and attracting every helicopter, blimp, and squadcar to pursue him while he's on the clock.
Old May 12 2014, 10:48 PM   #2125
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

He is when he needs to be. He's gone undercover many times, and the bat motif is there for intimidating purposes; it doesn't interfere with his ability to prowl stealthily around the city, which is how he spends 99+% of his time. Except, you know, when he's driving a stupid ass vehicle letting everyone know where he is, of course, and attracting every helicopter, blimp, and squadcar to pursue him while he's on the clock.
Well, there's always Batman Begins Stealth Mode, which I think means shutting off the headlights.
Old May 12 2014, 10:52 PM   #2126
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

You're assuming I think the movies are a good example of the character, too. They're not. I'd like to see a good example of the character. Which is why the Marvel movies tend to be so much better than the DC ones; they're far more closer to the character than these feeble attempts to make them "realistic" that the DC movies keep going for. For example, I'd hate to have seen what they would have done with a character like Thor...

Bond is totally known for driving around town in a Prius. And it's a good thing no one's mentioned armor, weaponry, or speed at all...
Oh, I'm sorry, I missed the memo that in a thread running to 140 omething pages, every single post had to be entirely original and not mention something already referred to.
Old May 12 2014, 10:53 PM   #2127
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Well, there's always Batman Begins Stealth Mode, which I think means shutting off the headlights.
And the motor stops making noise.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 10:55 PM   #2128
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
And the motor stops making noise.
Maybe that Prius isn't such a bad idea after all...
Old May 12 2014, 11:00 PM   #2129
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Oh, I'm sorry, I missed the memo that in a thread running to 140 omething pages, every single post had to be entirely original and not mention something already referred to.
Yeah, it's easy to miss stuff one post above yours, especially when it's one of the ones you're replying to.
Old May 12 2014, 11:00 PM   #2130
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I like the Neal Adams Batmobile. Basically a Corvette with Bat-gadgets
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote