Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 7 2014, 09:45 PM   #2101
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Apart from power level, maybe, Superman and Thor are hardly similar. Thor is a god who considers himself a god. Superman is a god who considers himself human.

Besides, Superman doesn't need a hammer to fly.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 11:02 PM   #2102
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Besides, Superman doesn't need a hammer to fly.
He sometimes gets one while he flies though.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 01:36 AM   #2103
Dennis
Commodore

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Apart from power level, maybe, Superman and Thor are hardly similar. Thor is a god who considers himself a god. Superman is a god who considers himself human.
At best Thor is Kal-El raised on Krypton by Jor-El. IOW, a bore.
"One day it begins to be borne in on the writer...that he is living in Europe as an American. If he were living there as a European, he would be living on a different and far less attractive continent." - James Baldwin

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 01:55 AM   #2104
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Yeah, the Thor films were pretty boring.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 05:30 PM   #2105
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Snyder just tweeted a photo of a mostly covered Batmobile! You can still see the back side.

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/statu...89795978194944

Last edited by SalvorHardin; May 12 2014 at 05:54 PM.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 05:36 PM   #2106
sojourner
Admiral

Meh, lookslike they're going back to a Tim Burton-ish batmobile. Over stylized. I prefer something thats more function over form.
Old May 12 2014, 06:07 PM   #2107
davejames
Vice Admiral

Actually it kinda reminds me more of the Tumbler so far.

Odds are it'll be some kind of hybrid between the Tumbler and the Burton Batmobile, which I'm perfectly fine with.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 06:50 PM   #2108
Christopher
Writer

Ugh, where's the logic in the Batmobile being a tank? That was a specific conceit for The Dark Knight Returns, fitting the dystopian future that story took place in.

If anything, the Batmobile should be more like the Green Hornet's Black Beauty, a car that can blend in with normal traffic and doesn't draw too much attention to itself, while having mostly concealed gadgetry to be deployed when necessary. Where's the sense in driving to and from your secret crimefighting headquarters in the most conspicuous and easily tailed vehicle on the road?

Although, of course, there is only one true Batmobile:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 07:59 PM   #2109
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

It's a film featuring a flying alien god who shots lasers out of his eyes - I'm more on the "does it look fucking awesome?" side of Bat-mobile design and not really interested if it is realistic or not.

Looks like from the tweet, we will see an unveil tomorrow.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 08:14 PM   #2110
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Ugh, where's the logic in the Batmobile being a tank? That was a specific conceit for The Dark Knight Returns, fitting the dystopian future that story took place in.

If anything, the Batmobile should be more like the Green Hornet's Black Beauty, a car that can blend in with normal traffic and doesn't draw too much attention to itself, while having mostly concealed gadgetry to be deployed when necessary. Where's the sense in driving to and from your secret crimefighting headquarters in the most conspicuous and easily tailed vehicle on the road?

I don't think this scene would have as much weight to it

If Batman were driving a slightly modified lincoln
Old May 12 2014, 08:42 PM   #2111
Christopher
Writer

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
It's a film featuring a flying alien god who shots lasers out of his eyes - I'm more on the "does it look fucking awesome?" side of Bat-mobile design and not really interested if it is realistic or not.
The Tumbler does not look awesome, it looks cumbersome and ugly. And the Anton Furst Batmobile never did much for me either. An awesome Batmobile would be either the one in my link above or the B:TAS version.

Old May 12 2014, 08:48 PM   #2112
Mage
Commodore

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
The Tumbler does not look awesome, it looks cumbersome and ugly. And the Anton Furst Batmobile never did much for me either. An awesome Batmobile would be either the one in my link above or the B:TAS version.

Hm, I thought it looked awesome, and more capable of doing all the weird shit a Batmobile does then most other designs. Stylewise, yeah, the '66 version of the Batmobile is awesome, as is the one from Burton's movie.

But when it comes to practicallity, the Tumbler can take some abuse. And that's what I'd like to have when I'm taking on crime.
Old May 12 2014, 09:13 PM   #2113
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well the BTAS was basically just a cartoonified version of the Burton Batmobile (which in my mind wasn't nearly as cool as the movie version).

I do agree about the Tumbler though. It was certainly a big and intimidating design, but ultimately there was just never enough "Batman" in it for my taste. And simply being painted black was not enough to do it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 09:36 PM   #2114
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
Well the BTAS was basically just a cartoonified version of the Burton Batmobile (which in my mind wasn't nearly as cool as the movie version).
Oh, not at all! They're completely different, aside from maybe the elongated body and the "cockpit"-style passenger compartment. The Furst Batmobile is all curves and circles and aggressively downturned angles, with that jet-engine thing in the front and the stylized batwing fins on the back. But the Shayne Poindexter (TAS) Batmobile is much more linear and boxy, with a strong 1940s influence to the elongated front portion, and certainly without the Furstmobile's trademark jet intake.

Basically, the Furst Batmobile looks like a race car designed by a bat fetishist, while the Poindexter Batmobile looks like a '40s limousine designed by a rocket scientist.

Although the replacement Batmobile from The New Batman Adventures did have similar lines to the Furst version, more curvilinear and streamlined than its predecessor.

Old May 12 2014, 09:46 PM   #2115
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I've always thought the TBAS Batmobile was best, followed by the Burton version. The Tumbler never felt like a Batmoblie to me. If I'd just seen it without knowing who owned it, and you asked me what I thought the Tumbler was, I never would have guessed Batmobile, regardless of its paint job. This new one looks like it might be a mix of Burton's style and the Tumbler. It could be cool, I'll reserve judgement until I can fully see it. If nothing else, I'm sure it will be an improvement on the Tumbler.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote