Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 18 2014, 07:26 AM   #1696
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Skywalker wrote: View Post
It would be kind of amusing if Marvel doesn't back down and move their untitled project out of that same weekend. Right now their brand is far stronger; I think Warner Bros. would be quicker to swerve aside in a game of chicken than Marvel would.
The Marvel brand doesn't apply equally to every Marvel movie. Most of the prospective Phase 3 titles would lose to Superman/Batman.

Disney's strongest countermove would be to move the untitled Marvel film from that weekend and move Star Wars there instead, laying claim to the first weekend of May as theirs and theirs alone and forcing Warner to move Superman/Batman.
Old January 18 2014, 07:54 AM   #1697
Skywalker
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
It would be kind of amusing if Marvel doesn't back down and move their untitled project out of that same weekend. Right now their brand is far stronger; I think Warner Bros. would be quicker to swerve aside in a game of chicken than Marvel would.
The Marvel brand doesn't apply equally to every Marvel movie. Most of the prospective Phase 3 titles would lose to Superman/Batman.

Disney's strongest countermove would be to move the untitled Marvel film from that weekend and move Star Wars there instead, laying claim to the first weekend of May as theirs and theirs alone and forcing Warner to move Superman/Batman.
I'm all for that idea. Star Wars belongs in May anyway.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 08:12 AM   #1698
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I don't see Disney moving Star Wars: Episode VII again to May 2016 after Bob Iger promised to deliver a Star Wars movie in 2015. Then again, J.J. Abrams was hired over a year ago to direct Episode VII and there hasn't been much progress as of yet, so who knows. Last I heard, they are suppose to film in the spring and there hasn't been any official casting announcements yet, so anything is possible.

As for the news that Batman/Superman is getting pushed into May 2016, this is probably a good thing. It moves the film away from an already crowded summer and as many others have said already, allows the film to open the summer 2016 movie season. Plus, this allows them more time to hone the script and figure out what exactly they are doing in terms of setting up Justice League or just sticking to the planned Batman/Superman story.

Then again, Man of Steel was originally slated for Christmas 2012 and was consequently pushed back to June 2013, and that didn't really have any impact on the quality of the movie, so who knows. I am definitely more hopeful after hearing Argo scribe Chris Terrio has been brought on to polish the script, but I'm still very skeptical of the movie's chances. Hopefully this added 10 months allows them to make the best movie possible.
Old January 18 2014, 11:04 AM   #1699
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
The issue: They're scaredy-fraid of going up against the Avengers. Always have been.
Always? Then why did Warner Bros. release The Dark Knight Rises just two months after Marvel's The Avengers?
I was referring to their hesitant, timid attempts to get a competing Justice League franchise going.
Old January 18 2014, 01:59 PM   #1700
Jeyl
Commodore

I don't know why many are seeing this delay as a good thing since this will no doubt push every other DC property Warner Bros. is trying to do by roughly three years. That's what? At least six Marvel Universe movies by the time the Superman/Batman film is released?

That fact that this supposedly new franchise spawns from one of the most widely mixed super hero movies in a long time isn't really a confidence booster, nor is having everyone who were largely responsible for that film's problems still in charge of the next entry.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 04:35 PM   #1701
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
I don't know why many are seeing this delay as a good thing since this will no doubt push every other DC property Warner Bros. is trying to do by roughly three years. That's what? At least six Marvel Universe movies by the time the Superman/Batman film is released?

That fact that this supposedly new franchise spawns from one of the most widely mixed super hero movies in a long time isn't really a confidence booster, nor is having everyone who were largely responsible for that film's problems still in charge of the next entry.
Where do you get that from? This move is actually moving Justice League to an Earlier date, since they are taking more time on Superman/Batman, so it and Justice League can be filmed back to back, and released the following year (Rather than 2 or 3 years after Superman/Batman)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 05:15 PM   #1702
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Apparently Affleck injured his leg and needs about 6 weeks to recuperate. That probably didn't help matters.

That is completely false. Recent photos of him and his wife walking show there's absolutely nothing wrong with him. No limping, no wincing in pain, nothing. That's a complete rumor. You look at coverage at him during the Golden Globes, he is in good health. No injuries.

Old January 18 2014, 05:59 PM   #1703
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Where do you get that from? This move is actually moving Justice League to an Earlier date, since they are taking more time on Superman/Batman, so it and Justice League can be filmed back to back, and released the following year (Rather than 2 or 3 years after Superman/Batman)
Yeah, that's some fuzzy math. It will be three years between DC movies after MOS, however, during which time Marvel Studios alone will have put out five flicks, including their second team-up movie.

At least we've still got Arrow.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 06:03 PM   #1704
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
The issue: They're scaredy-fraid of going up against the Avengers. Always have been.
Without a doubt.

WB is run by morons.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 06:09 PM   #1705
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Gaith wrote: View Post
Yeah, that's some fuzzy math. It will be three years between DC movies after MOS, however, during which time Marvel Studios alone will have put out five flicks, including their second team-up movie.

granted Marvel Studios is putting out nothing BUT Superhero movies, while WB is producing a bit broader in thematic range.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 07:35 AM   #1706
JD
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post

And by the time S/B comes out we may also have/have had Gotham, The Flash, Constantine, Hourman and any other new shows that come out before May 2016.
At this point I'm starting to wonder if DC might not be better off just focusing on TV.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 07:57 PM   #1707
davejames
Vice Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
granted Marvel Studios is putting out nothing BUT Superhero movies, while WB is producing a bit broader in thematic range.
Exactly. Unlike the fans, I get the impression WB isn't all that concerned with where they are in comparison to Marvel right now. They've got a lot more on their plate every year than just producing superhero movies.

And it's not like they were completely off the radar all this time or anything. They made not only the immensely popular Dark Knight films, but a pretty successful Superman movie and (who would have thought this was possible) critically acclaimed Green Arrow TV series.

Obviously they'd love to get some of that Avengers-level money, but it's not like the superhero movie audience is going away anytime soon. They'll still be there no matter when they decide to release their movie.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 09:30 PM   #1708
Dream
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
And it's not like they were completely off the radar all this time or anything. They made not only the immensely popular Dark Knight films, but a pretty successful Superman movie and (who would have thought this was possible) critically acclaimed Green Arrow TV series.
Don't forget about the embarrassment called Green Lantern.

Last edited by Dream; January 20 2014 at 01:27 AM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 10:41 PM   #1709
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

The record so far:

1) The decision that their most successful superhero film property in recent memory is too grounded and serious to help set up a shared universe;

2) The embarrassing misfire called Green Lantern;

3) A Superman film that made decent dough but has proven to be controversial and divisive;

4) An announced Superman/Batman project that they can't seem to nail down the scope, focus, or timing of in relation to setting up the Justice League film.
Old January 21 2014, 02:42 PM   #1710
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Speaking to Entertainment Tonight, the Dallas Buyers Club actor said costume designers on the forthcoming Batman vs Superman movie had radically revised the togs worn by the caped crusader. "I've seen the suit," she said. "[It's] unbelievably cool. It's a total reinvention, it looks great."
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...t-release-date
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote