Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 14 2014, 10:21 PM   #1681
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

I don't know if this is a good idea or it's gonna go down in flames, but I'm definitely on board for the ride!
Old January 14 2014, 10:52 PM   #1682
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

The most difficult aspect of seeing both on screen, is that many folks who watch this mythos play out, have not taken the time to understand the dynamics between the characters.

On the other hand, some fans have read the comics faithfully over many decades, and so a pairing and conflict between the two iconic figures will be welcomed.

Both characters began as very benign superheroes with a deep respect and friendship, but through revisionism became warped and haunted. Superman now is in the very alienated role of a creature who can never be himself, only a patriotic symbol, and in comic history reduced to emasculating himself to hide his identity.

Batman becomes a tragic antihero, with sufficient wealth to create any personna, but becomes so immersed in revenge that he never can have a healthy relationship.

This is why the natural conclusion of The Dark Knight Returns trashes Superman as being used to become a Dr. Manhattan-like character who allows the illegalization of superheroes as vigillantees, and so arouses the ire of characters like Green Arrow and Batman. He's become ruinous to their personna. Without their identity as superheroes, they don't exist and so are annihilated by his actions. The climatic battle becomes about what is justice under those circumstances for self-preservation and autonomy.

I hope that the director and stars make something new and fresh but consider all of that. Showing CGI effects that add to the story, not merely resulting in mass destruction antithetical to the spirit of the comics.

During the nineties very interesting changes were made to lesser known characters like Swamp Thing and Animal Man. Both would be better if written in a similar vein.

Last edited by Robbiesan; January 15 2014 at 01:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 12:08 AM   #1683
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I'm just gonna leave this here again:
sojourner wrote: View Post
The final lines of the Batman/Superman movie:

"Bruce, even between the two of us, we can't face this!"

"You're right, that's why I've recruited help."

Cue splash scene of 4 more heroes arriving on the battle scene.

Continued in..... JUSTICE LEAGUE.

Rock ballad, credits roll.
Old January 15 2014, 12:46 AM   #1684
JD
Admiral

If this is true then I'm up for it.
As for the Momoa as Aquaman rumor, I could see it working.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 02:13 AM   #1685
Praetorian Guard
Lieutenant Commander

View Praetorian Guard's Twitter Profile

Variety reporting "Superman-Batman" getting pushed back to 2016:

Warner Bros. has pushed production on the untitled “Batman-Superman” to the second quarter of this year and it will now be released on May 6, 2016.

The Peter Pan origin story “Pan” is being put in its place on July 17, 2015.
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/superm-1201062720/
Praetorian Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 02:21 AM   #1686
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Not surprising at all. I don't see how they could have gotten a movie out that quickly without back-to-back shooting. (I know that was a rumor, but I was doubtful.)
Old January 18 2014, 02:26 AM   #1687
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Apparently Affleck injured his leg and needs about 6 weeks to recuperate. That probably didn't help matters.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 02:31 AM   #1688
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

I don't think it's a matter of giving the production more time. Aren't they supposed to start shooting in a few weeks, anyway?! So, let's say, 6 months shooting, still would have left almost a year in post-production.

No, I think it's the competition. 2015 is full of announced would-be blockbusters, like Avengers 2, Star Wars VII, Jurassic World, Bond 24, etc.. WB propably thought the movie might perform better in 2016, since there haven't been that many big movies announced for that year, yet.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 02:40 AM   #1689
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The first weekend of May is very valuable box office real estate. Marvel has tried to lay claim to it on an ongoing basis either for one of their MCU films or for a licensed film made by another studio. The last time the first weekend of May didn't feature the release of a Marvel film was 2006. It's generally thought that Marvel's untitled 6th May 2016 release will turn out to be Doctor Strange, so Warners looking to shoulder Marvel aside and grab that release date is a very interesting turn of events.
Old January 18 2014, 03:06 AM   #1690
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Maybe they'll push back the release date until the second Tuesday of next week....
Old January 18 2014, 04:16 AM   #1691
JD
Admiral

I thought maybe this was for production time, but I looked and most of the 2015 movies haven't started filming yet, so it must not be that. I wonder if they have run into some kind of an issue?
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 04:20 AM   #1692
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

The issue: They're scaredy-fraid of going up against the Avengers. Always have been.
Old January 18 2014, 04:24 AM   #1693
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I thought maybe this was for production time, but I looked and most of the 2015 movies haven't started filming yet, so it must not be that. I wonder if they have run into some kind of an issue?
A two-year turnaround for a major FX-heavy sequel is tough. Not impossible - it has certainly been done, such as with Spider-Man 2 - but tough. You factor in a script that's been in quite a bit of flux over the last few months and a delay makes sense. Plus 2016 isn't looking as competitive as 2015, although it would shake things up further if Star Wars, Episode VII gets delayed to summer 2016, too.

Another thing to bear in mind: if the rumors are true that they want to follow up with a Justice League movie very quickly after the release of Superman/Batman then this delay gives them the time to get both productions ready for release in 2016 and 2017 respectively.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; January 18 2014 at 04:40 AM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 06:22 AM   #1694
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
The issue: They're scaredy-fraid of going up against the Avengers. Always have been.
Always? Then why did Warner Bros. release The Dark Knight Rises just two months after Marvel's The Avengers?
Old January 18 2014, 06:49 AM   #1695
Skywalker
Admiral

It would be kind of amusing if Marvel doesn't back down and move their untitled project out of that same weekend. Right now their brand is far stronger; I think Warner Bros. would be quicker to swerve aside in a game of chicken than Marvel would.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote