Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 5 2013, 10:29 PM   #1501
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

^This. Yup. Uh-Huh. Well said.
Old November 5 2013, 10:47 PM   #1502
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I'm cautiously optimistic.

What worries me is the double combo of Zack Snyder and David Goyer. To be perfectly honest, the only Snyder movie that I've really liked is Dawn of the Dead and now I'm thinking that might've been as a result of James Gunn's screenplay more than anything else. Everything Snyder is popular for (300, Watchmen) I've liked but not loved. The less said about Sucker Punch... the better.

With Goyer, I originally gave him a lot of credit for Batman Begins but now I'm thinking Christopher Nolan had a lot to do with that movie being good. Goyer's script was strong, but I believe it was Nolan's direction that made it as solid as it was. Christopher mentioned how the third act sort of crumbles with Batman Begins, and I attribute that to Goyer more than Nolan (who actually did some revising of the third act). Left to his own devices, Goyer is sort of a mediocre writer/director. Blade: Trinity, The Invisible, The Unborn and Man of Steel are examples of that. If Goyer was teaming up with another writer for this Superman/Batman film, I would be a lot more confident. I'm secretly hoping Ben Affleck is assisting with the story/screenplay.

I am trying to remain positive and hopeful, though. Man of Steel wasn't terrible, but it had a lot to improve upon (and Christopher mentioned a good deal of what was wrong with the film). Sequels can be stronger than their predecessors, so I'm hopeful Snyder & Goyer have learned from their mistakes with the first one, but we'll see.
Old November 6 2013, 02:09 AM   #1503
DWF
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
I really wanted to see the story of the first movie continued, but it's sounding more and more like this movie is going to be almost a whole new thing.
Not necessarily. My hope is that the reason they're going for a more seasoned, veteran Batman is so that he can kick some sense into Clark, make him see what a total failure he was as a hero in MoS, and show him what it takes to be a real hero. Like actually making an effort to protect civilian lives and avoid unnecessary property damage.
The Goyer/Nolan Batman caused plenty of damage in Gotham while he was "saving" the city so he's hardly a good role model.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 02:13 AM   #1504
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Well, he never levelled skyscrapers. Only pancaked cop cars.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 02:24 AM   #1505
DWF
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Superman didn't level any buidlings either for that matter, but Batman did allow the missiles following him in the bat to hit skyscapers and let Gordon take down the overhead rail causing an unknown numbers of deaths and damage.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 03:47 AM   #1506
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
No, the devastation was not really well-done. It was horribly, insultingly done.
Which is a fair enough opinion, but the way they showed Metropolis' destruction is a very different complaint than "Superman was a failure as a hero." My real point was that Clark wasn't a failure as a hero, he was just (understandably) overwhelmed by the circumstances he was in. And that's what I took issue with.

But as to the "why Metropolis" side of things, Zod choosing Metropolis is easily enough explained - Lois was from there after all and she had a connection with Kal, and as a planet-rewriting megalomaniac he may have wanted to cow the "inferior" humans before wiping them out utterly. (Also, I really don't recall many buildings if any actually collapsing during the final Clark/Zod throwndown anyway, pretty sure it was almost entirely the gravity... drive... engine... terraformy-thing.)
Old November 6 2013, 04:44 AM   #1507
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Superman didn't level any buidlings either for that matter, but Batman did allow the missiles following him in the bat to hit skyscapers and let Gordon take down the overhead rail causing an unknown numbers of deaths and damage.
I saw a TON of buildings fall. And Supes was pretty much a part of that destruction. Metropolis was turned to rubble. And the thousands of people killed. It would've been almost the same if the US had detonated a tactical nuke.

Superman was no Superman in this movie.
Old November 6 2013, 04:52 AM   #1508
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

He didn't have time to prepare.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 05:02 AM   #1509
davejames
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I saw a TON of buildings fall. And Supes was pretty much a part of that destruction. Metropolis was turned to rubble. And the thousands of people killed. It would've been almost the same if the US had detonated a tactical nuke.

I haven't conducted a tally, but my impression was that most of the area had already been decimated by the World Engine by the time Superman showed up.

Zod got a massive head start on destroying Metropolis while Supes was taking on the other Engine, and had pretty much already turned the city into a war zone by the time they actually fought.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 04:36 PM   #1510
stj
Rear Admiral

I've always believed that the fantastic death toll in Man of Steel was partly a plot consequence of Superman being so outnumbered, but mainly due to Snyder et al. really getting off on building smashing. I'm convinced they really felt it was exciting and entertaining stuff. I expect they are just astonished anyone could have been so bored they started wondering what was happening to the meaningless civilians off screen. Zod's suicide was different, but not the issue here.

Unfortunately, for the sequel, there's not the slightest reason to think that Snyder et al. have developed any taste. The Nolan Batman is going to be a major influence because the studios will insist on following the money. And the Nolan Batman would go ramming through wall after wall in his ludicrous Bat-thingie just to "entertain" us. Superman & Batman will almost certainly start off as Superman vs. Batman. Unless you're interested in the burning question, "Who'd win in a fight between ... & ...?" that's boring.
Old November 6 2013, 05:45 PM   #1511
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Was re-reading the Cinefex coverage the other day.

They digitally sculpted a region of Metropolis roughly equal to 30 sq. miles. About 90 % or so of Manhattan Island's real estate, I'm told...?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 06:07 PM   #1512
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

davejames wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

I haven't conducted a tally, but my impression was that most of the area had already been decimated by the World Engine by the time Superman showed up.

Zod got a massive head start on destroying Metropolis while Supes was taking on the other Engine, and had pretty much already turned the city into a war zone by the time they actually fought.
Pretty much. This was, essentially, Superman's first day on the job as superhero. And he wasn't eased into the job by any stretch. Outnumbered, out-trained, out-gunned, barely beyond the training wheels stage of some of his major powers--how can anyone have expected the work of a seasoned veteran? (reminds me of complaints about young Kirk/Pine not showing the same aplomb as Kirk/Shatner--his decade older and more experienced version)
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 06:10 PM   #1513
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
I've always believed that the fantastic death toll in Man of Steel was partly a plot consequence of Superman being so outnumbered, but mainly due to Snyder et al. really getting off on building smashing. I'm convinced they really felt it was exciting and entertaining stuff. I expect they are just astonished anyone could have been so bored they started wondering what was happening to the meaningless civilians off screen. Zod's suicide was different, but not the issue here. .
Agreed. Any discussion about the destruction of Metropolis always discusses it from an in-universe point of view. And sure, from that point of view the destruction makes sense. Zod was attacking Metropolis with his army and Superman, as green and outnumbered as he was, did the best that he could under the circumstances. All well and good.

However, my problem is that the destruction was written into the movie in the first place. The destruction and people flying hundreds of feet into the air just to smash into the ground was written into the film because Goyer and Synder thought it would be cool. It's the same logic that the Transformers films run on.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 06:16 PM   #1514
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
I've always believed that the fantastic death toll in Man of Steel was partly a plot consequence of Superman being so outnumbered, but mainly due to Snyder et al. really getting off on building smashing. I'm convinced they really felt it was exciting and entertaining stuff. I expect they are just astonished anyone could have been so bored they started wondering what was happening to the meaningless civilians off screen. Zod's suicide was different, but not the issue here. .
Agreed. Any discussion about the destruction of Metropolis always discusses it from an in-universe point of view. And sure, from that point of view the destruction makes sense. Zod was attacking Metropolis with his army and Superman, as green and outnumbered as he was, did the best that he could under the circumstances. All well and good.

However, my problem is that the destruction was written into the movie in the first place. The destruction and people flying hundreds of feet into the air just to smash into the ground was written into the film because Goyer and Synder thought it would be cool. It's the same logic that the Transformers films run on.
That's fine. No one has to like what was presented in the film. But I've found that many complaints rest on things that ignore the situations set up in the film. To criticize artistic choices made by the filmmakers is perfectly reasonable. To expect the character of Superman to behave as though he'd been at the hero job for years, given the setup in the story, is not. It makes no sense.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 06:20 PM   #1515
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Exactly. One of Christopher's complaints is that Jor-El gave Superman the answer, but I'm not really sure how he was instantly supposed to understand Alien technology and come up with the answer himself.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote