Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Trek Actors At The Oscars
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Retro Review: The Changing Face of Evil
By: Michelle on Feb 21

Star Trek-Themed Van Sold
By: T'Bonz on Feb 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old February 9 2015, 12:35 AM   #1
Mr Light
Admiral

View Mr Light's Twitter Profile
Jupiter Ascending

I'm sure I'm going to hold the unpopular opinion here, but I loved Jupiter Ascending. It definitely had some problems. But it's just so refreshing to see an actual sci-fi movie with actual aliens in it. (GOTG being the obvious recent exception) Random weird looking aliens in the background AND foreground. Hell, there's a dragon guy. And a elephant man.

Movies nowadays are always so terrified of being true sci-fi. They're always 'grounded' and 'gritty' and 'realistic'. As much as I like the new Star Trek movies, they go out of their way to avoid showing 'funny' aliens and do anything that doesn't look modern day.

Jupiter wasn't afraid to show some imagination. Or to have complications in their story. This isn't Rebels vs Empire. There's three different factions of the royal family/corporation. And then there's the cops. And bounty hunters. And a neutral bureaucracy. I loved the layers. I loved how there was so much more story than what they could fit into the movie.

The action scenes were of course eye-popping, though nothing revolutionary on the level of The Matrix. There was something damn exciting about Channing Tatum sky-skating around the entire time though.

My major complaint would be in the primary villain, who isn't really portrayed to my tastes. Ironically this fellow is up for Best Actor at the Oscars this year, but I really didn't like the choices here. He throatily whispers all his dialogue EXCEPT THE COUPLE TIMES HE SHOUTS LIKE A MANIAC. I was much more interested in the other siblings.

It's a shame the box office failure means we won't get the story continued. I'd really love to find out what happens next. To find out more about the royal brother and sister whose loyalties we never really learned.

This is one of the movies people will love to pick apart and attack... but I prefer to appreciate something for what it is, rather than what I would rather it be.
Old February 9 2015, 12:44 AM   #2
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Jupiter Ascending

It was a "serious" retelling of Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Jupiter is Arthur Dent. She saved Earth from being destroyed for a hyperspace bypass.

Considering how many times she was saved from falling, they should have called it Jupiter Descending.

Oh, she loves dogs. Ewwwww.
Old February 9 2015, 12:48 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It's looking like it might make a mark with the overseas box office. I'm curious about it as the Wachowskis made some interesting visual spectacles with Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas. If they failed, at least they were interesting and ambitious failures. I figure it might be worth seeing on the big screen just for the visual aspect alone if nothing else.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2015, 12:50 AM   #4
Aldo
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'm sure I'm going to hold the unpopular opinion here, but I loved Jupiter Ascending.

I loved this movie too, I haven't been steered wrong by the Wachowski's yet. Though I will admit it was slightly overshadowed by watching Speed Racer the movie later that day (for the first time, no less) which I felt was a much stronger movie from the Wachowski siblings.

I heard a bit was cut from this movie before being released to theaters, I hope they reinstate it for the inevitable bluray release since there were a few moments that probably should have been explained a bit better, but it didn't detract from the movie in any way.

Plus it's nice to see Mila Kunis in something different.
Old February 9 2015, 01:02 AM   #5
Mr Light
Admiral

Yeah I'm going to need a second viewing to take it all in, preferably with closed captions. I had trouble understanding the accents sometimes. Particularly the bad guy who just loved whispering everything.

I wonder if some of these things were set up for a sequel. The way the first Matrix was a standalone but clearly set up things like the Oracle and Smith being somehow different from the other Agents.
Old February 9 2015, 01:05 AM   #6
the G-man
Commodore

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
It's looking like it might make a mark with the overseas box office...
It'll have to be one hell of a big mark, given how poorly it did in the US in relation to its budget.
Old February 9 2015, 01:06 AM   #7
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

I've only seen the tv ads for the movie. Since it's tough for us to get out to movies these days, I'll probably have to wait for the cable or video release.

Heck, just this morning I saw parts of The Dark World that I hadn't seen before.
Old February 9 2015, 01:09 AM   #8
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
I loved this movie too, I haven't been steered wrong by the Wachowski's yet. Though I will admit it was slightly overshadowed by watching Speed Racer the movie later that day (for the first time, no less) which I felt was a much stronger movie from the Wachowski siblings.
I need to see it on DVD/Blu because it's has so much color and movement that my cable's HD compression blows up on it with a ton of macroblocking.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2015, 01:14 AM   #9
Mr Light
Admiral

Speed Racer was surprisingly fun. I need to watch it again. As I recall my only complaint was the final race was too boring and straight forward. I also really, really loved Cloud Atlas.
Old February 9 2015, 01:17 AM   #10
Aldo
Admiral

As for the sister:

Old February 9 2015, 01:19 AM   #11
Mr Light
Admiral

you have to start it as [spoiler = ] (no spaces)
Old February 9 2015, 01:40 AM   #12
Aldo
Admiral

Thanks, I got it
Old February 9 2015, 02:16 AM   #13
DWF
Vice Admiral

I really enjoyed Jupiter Ascending, visually it's an outstanding film and I did like the storyline. I would hope there'd be sequels but a release this early in the season will probably mean there won't be any.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2015, 04:42 AM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

Horrible movie. That plot is in broad strokes a Matrix retread, just with Mila Kunis in the Keanu Reeves role and Channing Tatum in the Carrie-Anne Moss role. You got someone who lives a crappy life unwittingly sucked into the "real world" and learning they are the chosen one. It turns out life in the regular world is run by evil douches, who can manipulate the world around them, to the point they can tear a city apart and instantly put things good as new.

I was also annoyed there were no 2-D options where I live. I decided to go for it anyway since at the very least the Wachowskis are technical experts so maybe they can do something impressive with the 3-D. But no, most of the time, you can't even tell it is 3-D. The only proof was when I took the glasses off and the picture got all blurry. And since this movie had dark lighting, the 3-D glasses created a serious sunglasses effect.
Old February 9 2015, 04:59 AM   #15
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

My wife and I loved it. It was actually a good "date night sci-fi" flick. It wasn't the slightest but original with story points going back to, among others, Star Wars and Cinderella. However, I had checked my brain at the door on the way in, so all I was hoping for it that it was visually interesting and fun. I got that and more. Awesome visuals, decent acting (I found breathy speaking guy to be good toward the end when everything was coming to a climax) and an outstanding Michael Giacchino score.

A few threads I saw dropped I assume would be explained in the longer cut. A couple of characters just kind of vanish halfway through the story. But I go on a roller coaster for the ride, not to hear the life story of the people in the other cars. This was a fun diversion.