Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 22 2013, 03:55 AM   #1
E-DUB
Captain

Worf as Emperor

So Worf kills Gowron and then, instead of claiming the title of Emperor himself, basically says, "Hey, I'm not the guy but my buddy here would do a heck of a job." Did this strike anybody else as not a particularly Klingon way of doing things?

What would have happened had Worf assumed the job? Would he have been regarded a Federation puppet and dispatched fairly quickly?

Or if he did refuse, wouldn't the Klingons do what they tried to do after Kempec died a (seemingly) natural death and had two men battle for the job.

Would Martok have even bothered as he was reluctant to take the job even when it was being handed to him?

Discuss.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 04:30 AM   #2
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Worf as Emperor

Emperor? The position is chancellor, leader of the council. And, yes, it seems perfectly Klingon. Klingons did it, accepted it, and what more defines Klingon behavior than the behavior of Klingons?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Roboturner913
Lieutenant Commander

Klingons are much more political than they want everyone to think, based on a lot of the TNG episodes we see. I am sure there is precedent.
Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 06:37 PM   #4
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Worf was a member of the House of Martok. There could easily be rules, or at least precedent, that would allow Worf to hand the title over to the head of his House.
Old July 23 2013, 03:01 AM   #5
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The Klingons are a more varied race than they're given credit for. Worf knows he can't handle Klingon politics or inspire armies and he knows Martok can, and so did everybody else in the room when he killed Gowron. If anything they were pleased they got Martok instead of Worf, because they didn't want a Federation officer to be their Chancellor and already respected Martok.

Maybe there was a precedent to hand it to Martok, maybe there wasn't, but the klingons were happy to make the exception.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 09:16 AM   #6
MacLeod
Admiral

All Chancellor Worf did was name his succssor and immediatly passed over the office to him. Must be one of the Shortest reigns as Chancellor in Klingon History. The situtation with Gowron wasn't the same as when K'mpec was murdered. If Duras had straight up defeated K'mpec in a fight he would have succeded K'mpec but he didn't. But perhaps whilst Duras was alive as inferred in "Sins of the Father" the KE was a lot less politically stable.

Though one wonders how Klingon history will record the fact that Worf was responsible for Gowron coming to power by killing Duras, and for removing Gowron from power.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 10:18 PM   #7
FFunctionalData
Lieutenant Commander

E-DUB wrote: View Post
So Worf kills Gowron and then, instead of claiming the title of Emperor himself, basically says, "Hey, I'm not the guy but my buddy here would do a heck of a job." Did this strike anybody else as not a particularly Klingon way of doing things?

What would have happened had Worf assumed the job? Would he have been regarded a Federation puppet and dispatched fairly quickly?

Or if he did refuse, wouldn't the Klingons do what they tried to do after Kempec died a (seemingly) natural death and had two men battle for the job.

Would Martok have even bothered as he was reluctant to take the job even when it was being handed to him?

Discuss.
Worf might have been ok but he only really had the house of Martok backing him up so i think he would have been killed rather quickly.

Martok was the better choice he was highly respected general in the empire.
FFunctionalData is offline   Reply With Quote