Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 20 2013, 12:08 PM   #16
IzzyAtWarp9
Commander

Re: Allemaraine....Third Shap

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
I always kinda liked the episode.
Me too. I don't get the hate for Move Along Home.
Troo dat it's a great episode. I mean, they are trapped in a BOARD GAME that is SO COOL! It's one of my fave season 1 episodes!
Old July 20 2013, 08:17 PM   #17
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Pavonis wrote: View Post
"Let He Who Is Without Sin" at least has the merit of being set on Risa, with all the hints of hedonism and titillation that implies. I watch it with the sound off and the occasional fast-forward.
I feel the opposite way - the Risa stuff was eye-rolling, while the "plot" was merely boring and kinda dumb. While it truly is one of the worst episodes of DS9, that mostly is because DS9 was generally pretty good - it would be an average TNG ep, or above-average VOY. It's certainly not at "kill it with fire" level like some people claim.
Old July 21 2013, 05:08 AM   #18
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The problem with Let He Who Is Without Sin is that Worf's reaction wasn't believable for his character. Yes Worf may share that guy's feelings about hedonism but he knows better than to think that because humans indulge in pleasure that they're unprepared for war, he's served with them in enough wars. And he would never be taken in by a ridiculous Fox News stereotype cult of personality.

Also the relationship conflict had already become annoying and forced by that point. It was basically a sitcom with terrorism.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 08:52 AM   #19
Tiberius
Commodore

Shatna wrote: View Post
What is generally considered to be the "Masks" or "Spock's Brain" of DS9? This one? Let He Who Is Without Sin? Profit and Lace?
Meridian.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 09:03 AM   #20
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Nah, Meridian at least has the Quark/Tiron subplot. The Muse gets my vote. Followed closely by Profit and Lace.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 05:44 AM   #21
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

I like move along home a lot. I love the idea that what is scary and weird to one group (in this case our characters) is not a big deal at all to another (the aliens). Also I love how it's built up as this potentially scary and dangerous situation and then turns out to be quite literally child's play.

Also I won't belabor the point but I also happen to like Masks.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 11:57 PM   #22
publiusr
Commodore

I loved this episode myself.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 12:18 AM   #23
FKnight
Commander

Stoek wrote: View Post
I like move along home a lot. I love the idea that what is scary and weird to one group (in this case our characters) is not a big deal at all to another (the aliens). Also I love how it's built up as this potentially scary and dangerous situation and then turns out to be quite literally child's play.

Also I won't belabor the point but I also happen to like Masks.
Yeah that. That's what's so great about it on repeated viewings -- when you see Quark on the floor, really, really scared, and really being Quark, groveling for the lives of Sisko, Kira, Dax, and Bashir, and you know it's just a game and so do the Wadi.

The Wadi were interesting also.
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 01:37 AM   #24
U.S.S.Unicorn
Ensign

Location: Where sun nor humidity weakens for humanity's failings

I liked the episode quite a bit too. It had a cool premise and while it wasn't executed fantastically; it wasn't bad. Sometimes when I'm walking somewhere and I'm bored I'll hum the song and do the jumps to the stares of a few people stopped at red lights XD

The Muse is my least favorite I like Jake and I like writing but they coudn't do a more annoying episode after that.
U.S.S.Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 03:47 AM   #25
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

U.S.S.Unicorn wrote: View Post
I liked the episode quite a bit too. It had a cool premise and while it wasn't executed fantastically; it wasn't bad. Sometimes when I'm walking somewhere and I'm bored I'll hum the song and do the jumps to the stares of a few people stopped at red lights XD

The Muse is my least favorite I like Jake and I like writing but they coudn't do a more annoying episode after that.
Oh come one, a creativity sucking cosmic pedophile? What's not to love? /snark
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 06:40 AM   #26
The Emissary
Lieutenant

I definitely agree this episode gets a lot of unfair hate, but it is hard to argue that this episode is just plain weird. And it has some extremely corny moments. It almost feels like an episode that would have been done on "Are You Afraid of the Dark" or "Twilight Zone" or something.

I saw some say this would've fit more on TNG or VOY, but to me this really feels like a TOS episode. Event the "game" set looks kind of old.

Having said that, I think this episode has a certain "charm" to it. It's meant to be surreal and I think it fits with the constant complaint of "Trek doesn't do enough exploring or outside of the box thinking". This episode kind of encompasses that. The Starfleet crew weren't going to outphaser the Wadi. They had to survive their "game". And since this was the first Gamma Quadrant aliens we see (if you exclude Odo), it made it all the more interesting.

So on the one hand, I can see why people would be off put by the way this episode came off. But on the other, this episode did a really good job of having that standard Trek story before this show got heavy on the war.
The Emissary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 05:15 AM   #27
Lt. Aran
Ensign

I always liked "Move Along Home." It was funny in a ridiculous sort of way. My brother cracks up whenever he sees the scene where Sisko and the others have to repeat that children's rhyme to get to the other side of a chamber. Allemaraine!
Lt. Aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 05:20 AM   #28
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The Emissary wrote: View Post
It almost feels like an episode that would have been done on "Are You Afraid of the Dark" or "Twilight Zone" or something.
I agree with that. They basically did do it on Are You Afraid Of The Dark only with pinball. I wouldn't be surprised to find out they did it on TZ too.

But it was first season before they figured out what DS9 was.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 06:03 AM   #29
Melakon
Vice Admiral

There was a 1983 movie called Nightmares, which presented different stories like Twilight Zone. It was directed by TOS vet Joseph Sargent. One segment had Emilio Estevez pulled into a video game.
Old August 14 2013, 07:24 PM   #30
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander

You know I've noticed that with every Trek series there are always rough first season episodes (TNG being the best exsample!) and after a season or two it gains momentum and better writing.

I feel that "Move Along Home" is one of those episodes you have to grit your teeth and slog through to get to the good stuff like "In The Hands of The Prophets"! You got to accpet that in the beginning things are a little undevoloped!

All of this being said it wasn't as horrid as the TNG first season episodes which make me shake violently just thinking about them! "Move Along Home" is no "If Wishes Where Horses", which is a laugh a minute!

As for the later shit nuggets for episodes, I think the writers where just gettig lazy and dug up something they could throw at the screen, especially when it comes to Riza, The Hooker Planet™!