RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,614
Posts: 5,426,081
Members: 24,809
Currently online: 431
Newest member: velour

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 20 2013, 07:56 PM   #46
Tribble puncher
Commander
 
Tribble puncher's Avatar
 
Location: Lexington, KY
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Yeah people that like Silvia or Puddle of Mudd but make fun of Nickelback and Creed confuse me...
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 07:57 PM   #47
Mojochi
Commodore
 
Mojochi's Avatar
 
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Rock & Roll will never dominate the culture again, unless it has a revolutionary overhaul. Rock is revolution. Without it, Rock is dead as a cultural movement, just like Miles Davis said about Jazz in '75. The last Rock cultural revolution was Grunge, like 20 years ago. I've seen nothing come remotely close to that since. It will join the background noise with everything else which came before it, whether its players are quality artists who maintain an audience of some kind or not, unless something truly miraculous happens. History, however, trends otherwise

I only ponder what will come when rap/hip hop has run its course, & frankly it already has, artistically. Nothing culturally groundbreaking happening their either, just the same pablum in a different face

What can you expect really
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 07:58 PM   #48
Santaman
Rear Admiral
 
Santaman's Avatar
 
Location: A little while in the past.
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Santaman wrote: View Post
Also there's Arjen Lucassen's Ayreon if you want some prog rock.


Into the Electric Castle is such a fucking classic album. The Human Equation is awesome too.


I love the two Universal Migrator albums a lot, especially The Dream Sequencer.

Btw, Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) mentioned somewhere that she was in The Netherlands recording stuff, it wouldn't suprise me if she's on the new Ayreon album..
__________________
"Sword is personal, brings slicing to a man, you getta that personal feedback, nuclear weapons?.. Meh, goes off big bang and you don't get any feeling.."
Santaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 08:16 PM   #49
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Mainstream rock has been generally terrible since the late 80s. In the 70s, genuine artists like Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and Peter Gabriel era Genesis would shift loads of records.

Shit like Nickelback, The Foo Fighters and Puddle of Mudd doesn't compare, and isn't worth being nostalgic about.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 09:34 PM   #50
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Don't put Foo Fighters in the same sentence as the other two. That's not fair.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 10:00 PM   #51
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Mainstream rock has been generally terrible since the late 80s. In the 70s, genuine artists like Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and Peter Gabriel era Genesis would shift loads of records.

Shit like Nickelback, The Foo Fighters and Puddle of Mudd doesn't compare, and isn't worth being nostalgic about.
I didn't even like those bands in the 70s.

Nickelback, The Foo Fighters and Puddle of Mudd aren't really producing the same type of music that the 70s prog bands did, so I'm not sure it's an apt comparison. (Nickelback does suck, though). Might as well compare them to Chuck Berry and Little Richard.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 02:55 AM   #52
EmoBorg
Captain
 
EmoBorg's Avatar
 
Location: in the 10 dimensions of reality
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
For my money, the early 2000s was a time of stagnation led by NuMetal bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit (yes, those two bands deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence).
I would beg to differ. I think the early 2000s was a good attempt to reach the glory days of 90s Grunge, by mixing rock with rap.

Bands like Fuel, Creed, Nickleback, 3 Doors Down and Audioslave also kept the flag of Rock waving on the charts even though some rock fans may not have liked some of the bands.
__________________
MAN WITH A MISSION - Emotions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg

Last edited by EmoBorg; July 21 2013 at 03:06 AM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:55 AM   #53
Third Nacelle
Captain
 
Third Nacelle's Avatar
 
Location: The Denorios Belt
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
For my money, the early 2000s was a time of stagnation led by NuMetal bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit (yes, those two bands deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence).
I would beg to differ. I think the early 2000s was a good attempt to reach the glory days of 90s Grunge, by mixing rock with rap.

Bands like Fuel, Creed, Nickleback, 3 Doors Down and Audioslave also kept the flag of Rock waving on the charts even though some rock fans may not have liked some of the bands.
And a lot of fans might say that caring about chart positions is the exact opposite of what rock is.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 04:09 AM   #54
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

This was one of the best touring bands of the 80s, and charted more hits than most bands before or since. Great performance, great songwriting.

http://youtu.be/5ezoFMr55-Y
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 04:13 AM   #55
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
For my money, the early 2000s was a time of stagnation led by NuMetal bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit (yes, those two bands deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence).
I would beg to differ. I think the early 2000s was a good attempt to reach the glory days of 90s Grunge, by mixing rock with rap.

Bands like Fuel, Creed, Nickleback, 3 Doors Down and Audioslave also kept the flag of Rock waving on the charts even though some rock fans may not have liked some of the bands.
And a lot of fans might say that caring about chart positions is the exact opposite of what rock is.
Rockers don't care about the charts? That's a new one. I know there is a certain ethos in the punk and alt that is anti-"success", but its hardly indicative rock in general.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 04:59 AM   #56
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
And a lot of fans might say that caring about chart positions is the exact opposite of what rock is.
Eh, Rock from the beginning was about taking music that many did not listen to and making it marketable to everyone. As much as there is criticism about selling out, rock wouldn't exist without "selling out."

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
I would beg to differ. I think the early 2000s was a good attempt to reach the glory days of 90s Grunge, by mixing rock with rap.
It was a corporate attempt to take the elements of two popular genres and mix them into a garbled mess. Nickelback and 3 Doors Down are perfect examples because they actually had some very early songs with a bit of an edge to them, but they quickly blunted that edge into Someday, How You Remind Me, Here Without You, When I'm Gone (you can throw Staind on that pile too).

Bands like Fuel, Creed, Nickleback, 3 Doors Down and Audioslave also kept the flag of Rock waving on the charts even though some rock fans may not have liked some of the bands.
I'm not sure how that's different from now, though. Some ok bands did ok on the charts, so that meant the flag of rock was waving while some other bands today do the same thing and it's entirely different? Just using the Billboard Top 100: "I Will Wait" by Mumford and Sons reached 12 and "The Cave" was 27. Kings of Leon had "Use Somebody" read 4 on the charts. I'll concede that Gotye's genre is a bit ambiguous, but that was Number One on the Billboard Top 100 (as well as top of Rock and Alternative charts).
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 05:05 AM   #57
EmoBorg
Captain
 
EmoBorg's Avatar
 
Location: in the 10 dimensions of reality
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
And a lot of fans might say that caring about chart positions is the exact opposite of what rock is.

Let me put it in another way, Rock Music is good enough to be on the mainstream charts. Rock Music is as good as Hip Hop, RnB and Pop music that dominates the mainstream music charts now days.
__________________
MAN WITH A MISSION - Emotions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 05:32 AM   #58
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Rock music is good enough not to be on the mainstream charts.

There was great rock music that was also popular in the 60s and 70s, but it was not popular because it was great. The Beatles wrote some great songs, and they were popular because they were given cute personalities and ran from one limo to the next. Elvis Presley wrote some great songs, and he was popular because he shook his ass around. There are a lot of great popular bands in pop history but the fact that they were great and the fact that they were popular have nothing to do with each other.

Climbing the pop charts means that a lot of 14 year olds think liking a band will make them fit in that they all asked their parents for the money to buy their music. The people who spend the most money on music care far more how the lead singer is dressed than what the music sounds like.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 06:11 AM   #59
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

the G-man wrote: View Post
Wouldn't that require MTV to actually play music again?

Exactly what I was thinking
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 06:40 AM   #60
EmoBorg
Captain
 
EmoBorg's Avatar
 
Location: in the 10 dimensions of reality
Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Rock music is good enough not to be on the mainstream charts.

There was great rock music that was also popular in the 60s and 70s, but it was not popular because it was great. The Beatles wrote some great songs, and they were popular because they were given cute personalities and ran from one limo to the next. Elvis Presley wrote some great songs, and he was popular because he shook his ass around. There are a lot of great popular bands in pop history but the fact that they were great and the fact that they were popular have nothing to do with each other.

Climbing the pop charts means that a lot of 14 year olds think liking a band will make them fit in that they all asked their parents for the money to buy their music. The people who spend the most money on music care far more how the lead singer is dressed than what the music sounds like.
That is a cynical way of looking at things.

Don't you think that music publishing companies like EMI, Universal, Sony music and Warner music that pay radio stations to play their music is also a factor in influencing people's taste. If these 4 major companies decide to promote Rock music more heavily, Rock music would be more mainstream.
__________________
MAN WITH A MISSION - Emotions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg

Last edited by EmoBorg; July 21 2013 at 12:56 PM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.