Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 29 2013, 07:38 AM   #76
Maab
Lieutenant

Re: The Official Deleted/Alternate Material Thread

Harvey wrote: View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od4BjWW5jTw

Isn't this the ShoWest Trailer?
Yes, great find. So, the two deleted scenes from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKw66EU5Fc actually come from this trailer.

Trevanian can you confirm that in the disc you received there was only the trailer and not the full movie?

Maab
Maab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 12:42 AM   #77
trevanian
Rear Admiral

It was just a few minutes total.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 04:30 AM   #78
CaptainBearclaw
Lieutenant Commander

So, one member of this thread once stated that he had seen the TVH work print, any reports on that?
CaptainBearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 02:45 PM   #79
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

trevanian wrote: View Post

A mod here named Tim sent me a disk of it years back
Holy moly, I had forgotten about that.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 03:51 PM   #80
CaptainBearclaw
Lieutenant Commander

Was it from any superior VHS recording? The YouTube version has some garbling and warping at the beginning and end.
CaptainBearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 12:45 AM   #81
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I'll have to take a look for it. Pretty sure it is in the office somewhere, but if you've seen THE ODD COUPLE and remember Oscar's bedroom ...
Old August 1 2013, 02:11 AM   #82
Grant
Fleet Captain

CaptainBearclaw wrote: View Post
Was it from any superior VHS recording? The YouTube version has some garbling and warping at the beginning and end.
What are you referring to here?

The TVH prologue?
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 02:36 AM   #83
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I'll have to take a look for it. Pretty sure it is in the office somewhere, but if you've seen THE ODD COUPLE and remember Oscar's bedroom ...
I think the version I sent to you may have been even worse than the garbled YouTube quality -- if that's even possible. I seem to recall a ridiculously prolonged debate over whether Spock's description of Saavik as half-Romulan used the word "admixture" or "odd mixture."
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 04:07 AM   #84
Maab
Lieutenant

Grant wrote: View Post
CaptainBearclaw wrote: View Post
What are you referring to here?

The TVH prologue?
No, the Showest Wrath of Khan trailer (I was confused also).
I believe we can be happy with the YouTube version Harvey indicated (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od4BjWW5jTw). Old VHS copies usually don't look much better than this.

It would be really 'nice' if someone would be able to get a copy of the full workprint from the UCLA archive, at least the audio... :-)

By the way: in this "trader" page http://workprintsandrarefilms.webs.c...onversions.htm it's listed a STAR TREK THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK television version with the following description: "This version is the ABC version which contains an alternate opening and a few alternated scenes."
I know from IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088170/alternateversions) that the ABC version does not have the full WOK initial scene, but what about the "alternated (or alternate?) scenes"?

Maab
Maab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 10:31 AM   #85
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Maab wrote: View Post

No, the Showest Wrath of Khan trailer (I was confused also).
I believe we can be happy with the YouTube version Harvey indicated (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od4BjWW5jTw). Old VHS copies usually don't look much better than this.
That's the copy I uploaded years ago! I can't remember where I got it from, but I think someone on here (or possibly another Trek forum) sent it to me.
Old August 1 2013, 03:59 PM   #86
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Maab wrote: View Post
the ABC version which contains an alternate opening and a few alternated scenes
I suppose the alternate scenes are the same alternate scenes that were used for the DE. But what about the alternate opening?
Old August 1 2013, 06:01 PM   #87
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Alternate open for SFS is the one that starts with GRISSOM over Genesis, as in script.
Old August 1 2013, 06:59 PM   #88
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

From an interview conducted with De Kelley in 1989. This is from a Star Trek magazine I bought off Ebay. It came out right after movie V and De Kelley discusses some cut scenes in the movie

Just going to quote De's entire response to this because I think what he has to say about his feelings on the cuts are interesting:

Did You Enjoy the Location Shooting

Yes but so much of what we shot was cut out. We had some spectacular shots up at Yosemite and it was very disappointing that they weren't used. I had been in the hospital 4 1/2 weeks before shooting and I went up there looking skinnier than ever! I think they had great concern for me and they decided to double me on horse work, which we never saw in the film.

We spent a lot of time climbing very high peaks which were not soft dirt but shale. All three of us were doing this and we were going up and down these peaks and all you see of us in the film is one quick shot of us coming around the corner and down a hill. But they filmed us going all the way up and coming back down and we did this several times, "My God, where did all that go?" We did a lot of work and some of it was all-night shooting.

Another scene that I was disappointed was completely cut out was a very brief but I thought it was a good scene. When we're at war down on the planet with the people of Paradise City, one of our men is shot in the leg and Spock and I pull him off to the side. I pull out this "gizmo" that I have and cut his pants leg open and there's a hole in his leg because they're using these antiquated bullets- they were balls or marbles actually. But I put this "gizmo" over his leg and it sucks the bullet out and I catch it and hand it to him and say, "Here's a souvenir for you! Now stay off that leg for at least two minutes!"

It was just a quick moment but Harve was very high on that scene and so was I. I thought it was going to bring a wonderful laugh and it was a cute, clever idea, plus it was typical McCoy. It wasn't in the movie so I called Ralph Winter and he said, "De, when we got it together it just didn't work." Evidently they had screened it somewhere and it just didn't work. I still can't understand why. Maybe it was in the shooting of the scene or the editing.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 09:02 PM   #89
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Alternate open for SFS is the one that starts with GRISSOM over Genesis, as in script.
Oh, I thought we were talking about TWOK!
Old August 1 2013, 09:21 PM   #90
Grant
Fleet Captain

I need to clarify this.

TMP was advertised in fall of 1982 as 'coming to ABC this season, first time on TV'. It aired May 1983
They then added the 12 minutes that make up the SLV.

TWOK was advertised in fall 1984 as 'coming to ABC this season, first time on network TV.' It aired Feb 24, 1985.
They then got Meyer to pick the added 3 1/2 minutes that became the Director's cut.

TSFS was advertised in fall 1987 as 'coming to ABC this season, first time on network TV.

Then came the 1987 NFL players strike and they rushed TSFS and other movies to fill the "Monday Night Football" timeslots on ABC.

They even used the slogan "Star trek 3--NFL zero that week.

But the fact that they rushed TSFS to air months before it normally would have (after the NFL season ended, when they had 'Monday Night at the Movies in that same timeslot.)---
caused two things to happen...

1. Instead of them asking Paramount for extra footage to fill the 2 and a half hour timeslot--they realized there was no time to pick and re-edit the movie with additional scenes like they did for TMP and TWOK, so.........

2. Instead they butchered the TSFS by cutting OUT 15 minutes of footage to squeeze it into a two hour time slot.

They simply and insanely lopped off the opening kirk & co bridge scene and the first Klingon scene and STARTED the movie with the Grissom!!

I was sickened. I was praying to see 10 or so new minutes of footage and they just chopped whole sections of the movie out because they had no time to logically and carefully edit individual scenes.

So it was NOT a 'alternate' opening--simply the removal of the opening 5 minutes of the movie completely!

Last edited by Grant; August 1 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote